Page 101 of 151 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2257

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

I just noticed today the 909 3rd Ave has a similar "stacked chicken cage" look to 432.

Yes, it looks so much the same.

You certainly seem to be obsessing to find these tortured comparisons. For a building you don't like?

I looked out of window from 300 East 54th St where I happened to be meeting an architect, and noticed the grid pattern of 909 3rd. I would hardly class that as "obsessing" to find any type of comparison.

Obsessing is in the mind, not the feet.

Yes, I made that up.

I'm much too tired today to allow myself to be sucked into the infallible Zippy vortex. Another time perhaps.

It's in your control to just stop. Better than to say you're going to stop.

Default 2 November 2013

I can tolerate this POS better now that Verre is proceeding and hopefully, Steinway too. That being said, it's a toss up as to whose absurdly tall box is worse: CIM's or Extell's joke at 225 W 57th.

Sorry, it's definitely 225w57. This building is at least bold. Rarely do buildings have such strong square elements rather than vertical or horizontal. Additionally, the incredible height to area ration of this building makes it, at the very least, an engineering marvel. If the ground level treatments, with the 57th st retail, the glass box on Park, and the manicured driveway (hoping for 15CPW quality there) come through nicely, this will be great from the ground and impressive to look up at.

The oversized windows make an interesting illusion of diminished overall scale. It makes it look, or rather feel, much shorter than it actually is. It'll be interesting to see how that illusion plays out when it begins to reach absurd heights.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    If the ground level treatments, with the 57th st retail, the glass box on Park,
    Do you think the retail building on Park will be a glass box? I'm not so sure.

I haven't seen any rendering since this came out, long before the final tower design.

At six stories high, I think it's only a stylization.

I kept looking at a picture of 432 Park for a few minutes and began to laugh. What if it's a developer's inside joke just to piss people like us, off?

Hard to tell what the material is from the site plan, but columns are not shown the way they are for the building:

I think something that is mostly glass is very likely. It's not a ton of square footage for the retail based on the number provided, and much of that might be below ground, making this just a giant, clear atrium.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Sorry, it's definitely 225w57. This building is at least bold. Rarely do buildings have such strong square elements rather than vertical or horizontal. Additionally, the incredible height to area ration of this building makes it, at the very least, an engineering marvel. If the ground level treatments, with the 57th st retail, the glass box on Park, and the manicured driveway (hoping for 15CPW quality there) come through nicely, this will be great from the ground and impressive to look up at.
    I would agree with you if they clean the concrete, but in its current state, it looks horrible. At least, Extell presumably will use nice glass on its 1,400 foot stick. In any event, they both look like crap. At least we will have Verre, Steinway, and One57, which looks quite good.

Forum Veteran

Nice video piece by the Times today on the billionaire buildings in development:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/busines...lionaires.html