Page 150 of 151 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151 LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 2257

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

I'm with you. It looks great in photos and in person.

It was said that the Equitable blocked ventilation, dumped 13,000 users onto nearby sidewalks, choked the local transit facilities, and created potential problems for firemen. The Equitable's noon shadow, someone complained, enveloped six times its own area. Stretching almost a fifth of a mile, it cut off direct sunlight from the Broadway fronts of buildings as tall as 21 stories. The darkened area extended four blocks to the north. Most of the surrounding property owners claimed a loss of rental income because so much light and air had been deflected by the massive new building, and they filed for a reduction in the assessed valuations of their properties.

War never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    War never changes.[/COLOR]
    In light of broader world events involving famine, political upheaval, military insergence and terrorism: fortunate are we that our WAR here is - OH the design is so ugly, OH it's too tall, OH it's apartments for the rich, OH it's casting shadows in my backyard. WE are dealing here with 1st world problems: lets count our lucky stars and enjoy this work of architecture for the simple pleasures it provides.

LOL.

Justifying bad design by "hey it could be worse; we could be in the middle of a war zone."

How do you come up with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    LOL.

Justifying bad design by "hey it could be worse; we could be in the middle of a war zone."

How do you come up with this stuff?
    LMAO....

When all else fails just lower the bar on the circumstance. To which I say even if I was a scrounging for food in a dystopic future this tower is still one of the worst/laziest/boring/insipid things ever erected.... I would wish that I was a simpler organism that did not have enough prefrontal cortex to acknowledge (and be disheartened by) the lack of neuronal effort to put forth this tower in its current form.

Minimal. Yeah, its minimal money and effort to have come up with the shape.

A waste of human intellect that is 1400 ft tall.

WE are dealing here with 1st world problems: lets count our lucky stars and enjoy this work of architecture for the simple pleasures it provides.

It's a piece of "work" alright, and provides no simple pleasures...

The majority of posters on this thread have said, one way or another, that they are 'pleased' with the design of this building: at least accept that your 'opinion' is the exception, and that most are in fact "pleased". I am not sure a 'majority vote' proves you wrong: but what other criteria could be use to settle such a disagreement.

What part of the male anatomy provides simple pleasures?

I am frankly tired of the juvenile conversations about this phallus-shaped monstrosity.

What part of the male anatomy provides simple pleasures?
    I am not talking about THOSE pleasures: you or the magazine article you posted brought in the phallus analogy. Oh, boy - now were talking anal. Best we just drop this line of conversation. LOL

Speaking of articles, I just found an article that ranks this building #4 on a list of the 13 most 'magnificent buildings' on EARTH. Link posted here - http://www.indiatimes.com/culture/tr...re-232038.html

And speaking of Phallic - take a look at #2 on the list. Now THATS phallic......more phallic than the Gherkin in London.
    Last edited by infoshare; November 17th, 2015 at 02:59 PM.

WOW! You quote Ulysses S. Grant once, in reference to the fact that people tend to complain about many of the most beloved buildings when they're new, and a whole lively dick conversation pops up. In case anyone cares about the full quote:

I have never advocated war except as a mean of peace. So seek peace. But prepare for war. Because war… war never changes. War is like winter.Winter is coming.
    It has literally nothing to do with any war past, current, or future. It is not comparing architecture to war either (nor any of our first world problems). It might be comparing the inevitability of complaining to the inevitability of war. And yes, both are generally sad and vengeful wastes of our time.

Forum Veteran

Seeing the rise of 432 Park Avenue, the tallest, ugliest, and among the most expensive private residences in the city’s history—the Oligarch’s Erection, as it should be known—as a catchment for the rich from which to look down on everyone else, it is hard not to feel that the civic virtues of commonality have been betrayed.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/10/05/naked-cities
    The irony here is that if this building were top to bottom section 8 housing, Mr. Adam Gopnik would be extolling its virtues in every article he wrote to his death

I don't think "irony" means what you think it means.

Forum Veteran

Sure it does, I'm stating that given the exact same architecture, the author would have the opposite opinion of its aesthetics if it were low income housing instead of entitled housing for the richest 0.1%. Certainly ironic

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    ......Given the exact same architecture, the author would have the opposite opinion of its aesthetics if it were low income housing instead of entitled housing for the richest 0.1%......
    Pondering that statement; that is actually true . At the very least, the author certainly would not have any disparaging remarks about the building. Interesting how often political ideology colors everything some people see: even on things as unrelated as the aesthetic merits of an architectural design. There is always something interesting to be found when reading Wirednewyork.com.