Page 3 of 151 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

jinx londonlawyer

What a depressing thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    What a depressing thread.
    It is depressing. Razing the Drake was bad enough, but razing the gems on 57th is an extra kick in the ba.lls. Excuse my color commentary, but it's warranted because this is so depressing. The impotent jerk Tierney should stop Macklowe.

Default Simple Questions

I have a couple questions for New Yorkers. You guys have a first hand/front seat view of the development going on in NYC. It’s been a while since I’ve been to the city.

Despite the recent lost of significant historic structures in the city (i.e. the Drake, townhouses… etc.), NYC still has a vast amount of beautiful historic structures within the city…. right? Is this destruction isolated to Mid-town Manhattan or is this problem affecting the entire city?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksom View Post
    I have a couple questions for New Yorkers. You guys have a first hand/front seat view of the development going on in NYC. It’s been a while since I’ve been to the city.

Despite the recent lost of significant historic structures in the city (i.e. the Drake, townhouses… etc.), NYC still has a vast amount of beautiful historic structures within the city…. right? Is this destruction isolated to Mid-town Manhattan or is this problem affecting the entire city?
    NY has far more beautiful, old structures than any US city. Nevertheless, it is disheatening to see any destroyed.

You guys should see the nice buildings on 73rd and Lex
    I'll go up and shoot some pics.

Thanks.

The article from the Jan. 9, 2007 edition of the NY Post is set forth below. Amazingly, Weiss and Cuozzo seem to admire this jerk's demolition of nice structures.

Here's the article:
    There seem to be no limits on the ambitions of Harry and Billy Macklowe. The father-son team own the GM Building, commanding the highest rents in the U.S.; they recently bought 1330 Sixth Ave. for $498 million; and they plan major new projects at 510 Madison Ave. and at the former Drake Hotel site on Park Avenue.

Now, the Macklowes are in the early stage of a new assemblage on Lexington Avenue. The company already controlled 1018 Lexington, one of six adjacent, four-story buildings on the north side of the western blockfront between 72nd and 73rd streets.

Now they've quietly bought No. 1012 as well for $5.5 million. Since the Macklowes are not in the business of managing tenements, we assume they have bigger game in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    NY has far more beautiful, old structures than any US city. Nevertheless, it is disheatening to see any destroyed.
    Londonlawyer, I agree with you 100%.

I'm just hoping that NY is not losing its old world charm at the expense of greedy developer. That's what I admire most about NY. I'm sadden by the lost of these pre-war beauties. It's these old structures that separates NY from Hong Kong, Dubai, to some extent Chicago (Chi-town has many but it's not close to NY in numbers) and all the other major skyscraper centers around the world.

I guest it makes me feel a little better knowing that NY still has thousands of these beautiful old structures within its city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksom View Post
    I guest it makes me feel a little better knowing that NY still has thousands of these beautiful old structures within its city limits.
    It is worth preserving ALL of them, specially because these bastard developers nowadays will NEVER give us this type of intricate and beautiful architecture ever again; so if they are lost they will be lost forever.

Forum Veteran

I understand all people views here, but this city is constantly changing and manythings will come and go as time goes by and there really is not alot anyone can do about it

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    It is worth preserving ALL of them, specially because these bastard developers nowadays will NEVER give us this type of intricate and beautiful architecture ever again; so if they are lost they will be lost forever.
    I believe there are some prewar buildings that are not absolutely essential to the city's fabric. Kliq6 is correct in pointing out that this city is always changing. In fact, I think I saw a Whitman or Irving quote about this very subject from well over a century ago. Lamenting about how one wouldn't be able to recognize the city they returned to after leaving for a generation. Its actually one of the reasons I love it here and one of the principal reasons this city is so alive. But, but, but, one would hope the buildings sacrificed to the monster that is New York real estate; would be buildings of lesser beauty. One would hope.

This building is a gem on a stretch of road with plenty of gems. St Barts, Seagram, Lever, PepsiCo. The Drake may not be on the level of those other buildings, but when you consider the same stretch has several godawful boxes constructed for the sole purpose of making as much money as possible; the frustration at seeing this wonderful building and others ready for destruction is depressing. This Drake should be protected.

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    I understand all people views here, but this city is constantly changing and manythings will come and go as time goes by and there really is not alot anyone can do about it
    I disagree. There are scores of sites with junk like the building on Lex near GCS that Antinimby posted. Nondescript garbage like this should be razed. The Drake and those old buildings should be preserved. Macklowe should be hung, drawn and quartered. (Not literally, of course.)

What is happening to the townhouses and especially the Drake is criminal. I've sent Tierney an angry letter. The Landmarks Commission is government agency and they must be held accountable for this failure of duty.

It is true that the city is always changing. Without some kind of ethos which says you can support robust development while at the same time saving things of lasting value for the benefit of future generations of New Yorkers, in the end we lose what makes New York unique from other world cities with endless skyscrapers. Let's keep building skyscrapers but let's do it in a way that preserves the interest of the streeetscape at sidewalk level. The remarkable aesthetic experience that a streetscape like the stretch on 57th provides can be easily preserved with a tower rising behind and above, especially in this case since the already doomed Drake that is a part of the project sits behind them.
    If a relative left me 40 million dollars, it would seem like a lot at first. But then I'd start chipping away at it. Without wise development of my financial portfolio I might spend it bit by bit until my bank balance was no different than my neighbors.
    New Yorkers "hit the lottery" with all this utterly irreplaceable architectural wealth that our forefathers created and left to us. Materials and craftsmanship that we will not see much of again. Some people might be cavalier and think we can knock these things down month after month, chipping away at the ol' bank account. There are so many of them, it is said. But it's shortsighted. The fact that they are sprinkled all around Manhattan is not something to be taken for granted and spent frivolously. Their presence and effect on the beauty of New York is cumulative and "greater than the sum of its parts". Our decendants could have the pleasure of enjoying this architectural wealth (and the real
    $$$ wealth it generates in the long run) if we'd just have the common sense to think beyond our own short-term benefit; developing blocks that need it, and recognizing other blocks (like the one on 57th) as timeless and irreplaceable.
    I thought we had mechanisms in place to help guide the process of change in a rational and long-term-beneficial way. One, for example, being the Landmarks Commision. Yet time and time again we have witnessed its inability (or willful negligence I'm beginning to believe) to save treasures like the townhouses on 56th street, which were destroyed for a banal 16- story residential. This is not the way to solve the housing shortage or to develop the city. It's not like they're building an 80-floor beauty there.
    A little bit of common sense and New York will continue to change and develop, but in a thoughtful way. The goal should be overall improvement, we're intelligent human beings and we can guide these forces of architectural change to our collective benefit.
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; April 13th, 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I disagree. There are scores of sites with junk like the building on Lex near GCS that Antinimby posted. Nondescript garbage like this should be razed. The Drake and those old buildings should be preserved. Macklowe should be hung, drawn and quartered. (Not literally, of course.)

Your right about other sites but many of these site have multiple owners and it takes a long time to get them to form a new development right. The Drake is a huge site and it comes at one quick buy.

Having said this however, I believe the Drake should be saved and done over like the Plaze was. AS for the 510 site, ill stick to my original opinion, nothing that was taken down was worth saving