Page 48 of 151 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    In NYC you can't have everything. If you go for tremendous height, you have to sacrifice massing and design.
    Can you explain further? Seems the opposite is true.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Complaining won't do much good with this one. It's planned "as of right" with no need for variances or special permits.
    Does that mean if they wanted build 125 floors they could?

NY doesn't regulate height, really. They regulate the floor space in a building. So if someone wanted to increase the height by 40%, like you're suggesting, they would either have to increase the height of all of the floors by 40% (beyond an already tall 16 feet), or add 40% more floors at the same height, but they would have to be 40% smaller so the aggregate total is still the same.

All that indirectly affects height, because the cheapest type of building is a low, squat building. The narrower, and taller the building, the more expensive it is to build. So the incentive is to cover the entire site with a single, fat block as tall as the floor-area ratio (total floor space divided by the area of the ground plot) will let them go.

By my rough count there are approximately 1400 windows here: something of special interest to me - in addition to the 'Architecture' of course.

Also, I often wonder why developers do not make each floor at least 20 feet tall - it does not change the FAR - and then the extra 'square footage' (height/head room) would greatly increase the selling/renting prices: surly there is some financial rational that I am not getting.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post372502

This is not a very impressive tower.

To each his own LL. I will gladly admit my primary interest in this particular building has to do the the potential sale & installation of window shades: but, I still think that this building is one very fine architectural design.

Nothing 'fantastic' here mind you - but I like that minimalist, simple, grid effect. If the glass, and other facade treatments are 'quality' this one will be a beauty.

Shameless plug: http://www.theshadestore.com/

Does anyone have a guess as to how much of the building will be service core and how much will be usable space in a tower that tall and slender?

What kind of wind sway would there be with something so tall and thin?

A. I get the impression it's just a massing model.

B. The building isn't ugly, it's just simple, if it has a great facade I will accept a 1400 plus foot tower any day!

C. Build it!!

Could be a very interesting building. Tall and thin always looks good on a skyline.

Latest news (from another forum) is that those 'rough sketches based on information from people privy to the design process" aren't quite; rather they're renderings of a dead proposal by Andrea Ortega:

http://archinect.com/people/project/...venue/16346574

Yet another super-tall luxury apartment building for super-rich people to inhabit, while at their feet people who work for wages are either jobless or underpaid and cope with public works, public transportation, and institutions of public education and public health that are crumbling around their ears. If buildings like these are all our economy can now produce, I can think of no stronger argument for a vigorous policy of progressive income taxation to restore America's government to its own people.

Quote Originally Posted by ttk View Post
    Yet another super-tall luxury apartment building for super-rich people to inhabit, while at their feet people who work for wages are either jobless or underpaid and cope with public works, public transportation, and institutions of public education and public health that are crumbling around their ears. If buildings like these are all our economy can now produce, I can think of no stronger argument for a vigorous policy of progressive income taxation to restore America's government to its own people.
    Lol.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; August 26th, 2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Deleted personal insult

In 1936, Jacks, Franklin Roosevelt said "government by organized money is just as bad as government by organized mob." If the economy continues to deteriorate, impoverishing millions more, the public will be ever more susceptible to the demagogue's siren song, and then, sir, where then will you be?