Page 6 of 151 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

And to the Mayor as well. If Tierney isn't protecting buildings like these then he needs to go.

I sent the following e-mail to Macklowe:

Macklowe's greed is an utter disgrace. I was appalled when I saw the cheap box that "Billy" and Harry are constructing at 510 Madison. My disdain was particularly keen in light of the fact that they razed many beautiful structures in order to obtain that site.

When I learned that they were razing The Drake, I was utterly nauseated. However, their planned destruction of several beautiful townhouses on 57th Street deals an even graver injury to our city's architectural heritage. I understand that these magnificent buildings and The Drake won't even be replaced with a great new building, but rather with a cheap, glass box.

Macklowe's avarice and lack of concern for the city is reprehensible. At least other developers, like Rosen and Silverstein, hire world class architects, such as Foster and Rogers, in an effort to create new landmarks. The Macklowes, by contrast, destroy New York's architectural treasures and replace them with the lowest quality buildings. Your company is an anathema and should be banned from "developing" in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post

Macklowe's greed is an utter disgrace. I was appalled when I saw the cheap box that "Billy" and Harry are constructing at 510 Madison. My disdain was particularly keen in light of the fact that they razed many beautiful structures in order to obtain that site.

When I learned that they were razing The Drake, I was utterly nauseated. However, their planned destruction of several beautiful townhouses on 57th Street deals an even graver injury to our city's architectural heritage. I understand that these magnificent buildings and The Drake won't even be replaced with a great new building, but rather with a cheap, glass box.

Macklowe's avarice and lack of concern for the city is reprehensible. At least other developers, like Rosen and Silverstein, hire world class architects, such as Foster and Rogers, in an effort to create new landmarks. The Macklowes, by contrast, destroy New York's architectural treasures and replace them with the lowest quality buildings. Your company is an anathema and should be banned from "developing" in New York.

What is his e-mail address. I would like to send him my commentary of what I think he is doing in NYC as well.

It's used to be listed on their website, www.macklowe.com. However, I recall that it's wmacklowe@macklowe.com. They removed it from the website recently. They now list only alazarus@macklowe.com.

The Dude Abides

This block of 57th street sure has some rich history. I found this old article from nearly 20 years ago about the development battle between Zeckendorf and the townhouses opposite Macklowe's development. I'm pretty sure they were all demolished and in their place rose the Four Seasons Hotel (57 East 57th Street).

STREETSCAPES: #53-63 East 57th Street; A Holdout Battle Over a Vestige of Victorian Elegance

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY
    Published: June 12, 1988
    Last edited by Edward; February 15th, 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Full text by Christopher Gray deleted

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    This block of 57th street ...
    It's sad. However, at least the Four Seasons is a beautiful, lavish building. Schmucklowe, by contrast, will build a cheap glass box.
    Last edited by Edward; May 7th, 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Quote too long

The Dude Abides

BTW London, I don't think writing letters to Macklowe and/or continuing to deride him as a schmuck is going to accomplish anything. If you really want to make an impact, I'd suggest doing some research on some previous attempts by preservationists to incorporate similar small buildings into new highrise projects. 712 Fifth Avenue might be a good place to start. Maybe then you can have a more persuasive argument for Macklowe doing something that, in all likelihood, he has no interest in.

BTW London, I don't think writing letters to Macklowe and/or continuing to deride him as a schmuck is going to accomplish anything. If you really want to make an impact, I'd suggest doing some research on some previous attempts by preservationists to incorporate similar small buildings into new highrise projects. 712 Fifth Avenue might be a good place to start. Maybe then you can have a more persuasive argument for Macklowe doing something that, in all likelihood, he has no interest in.
    I agree that writing to Schmucklowe will accomplish nothing, but it's nice to insult the SOB. I hate to sound like a pessimist, but no one can stop this project. These buildings will be razed. The 56th St. townhouses were more beautiful than these, and no one stopped the philistines on that project.

Arrow Villard Houses

............I'd suggest doing some research on some previous attempts by preservationists to incorporate similar small buildings into new highrise projects.
    This is another example of where a high-rise was combined with an existing building that was worthy of preserving; there are many other similar projects around town.

Excerpt taken from nycarchitecture.com -
    "Although the developer wanted to demolish the Villard Houses for his new building, the Landmarks Preservation Commission fought -- and won -- to save the original structures. As a result, the facade of the Villard Houses was incorporated into the new hotel and the wings of the building were given over to non-profit organizations including the Urban Center, the Landmarks Conservancy, and the Municipal Arts Society."
    Last edited by infoshare; May 7th, 2007 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post

LOL, win'em over with charm...

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    LOL, win'em over with charm...
    I wasn't trying to persuade Macklowe to reverse an investment of hundreds of millions of dollars. That's obviously not going to happen. I was trying to insult the schmuck.

I'm not a New Yorker, but I have visited the city many times, and these kind of buildings (Drake and the townhouses) are always my favorite parts of the city. I couldn't care less for glass boxes. I can find them in any major city in the country. New York is special because of its past, its history.

These building's destruction is just awful. Capitalists have no souls; no care for anything besides making money. The sooner people realize this, the sooner mankind can continue making progress.

Forum Veteran

no matter what is sent or written Macklowe was not calling off plans, London just expressed his freedom of speech, which is all of our rights

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Turboff View Post
    I'm not a New Yorker, but I have visited the city many times, and these kind of buildings (Drake and the townhouses) are always my favorite parts of the city. I couldn't care less for glass boxes. I can find them in any major city in the country. New York is special because of its past, its history.

These building's destruction is just awful. Capitalists have no souls; no care for anything besides making money. The sooner people realize this, the sooner mankind can continue making progress.
    Yeah but Capitalisim is what makes America the power it is.

The Dude Abides

And it was capitalists who originally put up all the historic buildings that we now all treasure...

Page 6 of 151 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast