Page 64 of 151 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Oh, I see. I just now noticed how close the Citicorp building is in that rendering which would make the "pole version" about a block or two east of 50. Oops.
    Pardon the "poll." This is certainly not a Gallop Poll. Thanks for clarifying that someone simply decided to draw it.

Quote Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
    I've read that they should be brushed-nickel, but I could be wrong. Definitely not concrete/stone, though.
    Thanks. Do you know or are you guessing? Nickel would look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    So long as the glare doesn't invite lawsuits from neighbors. It will have to be toned down and subtle...which may even be better.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Someone had mentioned it on another forum, I believe RW who had some insider knowledge on the project? Not sure, though.

Thanks. I believe some of the architects involved in the project are WNY me members. Maybe they know. A sleek facade would be nice.

"intrepid Wired New York listservers. Take a look a this slideshow, slide 1 of 9 puts the scale of this project in context better than most I have seen. There is a lot to see here in town lately for the "intrepid" architecture scout; with the groundbreaking of this building, the ongoing construction of WTC Tower One, and several other 'major' skyscrapers under construction there is a lot great projects to follow.
    http://archinect.com/navigate/181014...rk-avenue%252F

http://observer.com/2012/06/432-park/

Well, so this is it then. Can't say that I am wildly enthausistic about the design of this. It's tall and..... thats about it. Its a shame that the Drake hotel had to make way for this thing.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ Yes, it is doubly painful. First, we lose the wonderful Drake and then get a missed opportunity with this uninspiring 1960's throwback.

Not that I care but here's another one from that Observer link:

Don't know if it's the design but I don't like it's place on the skyline. Just seems odd.

I kinda like it. Maybe if they would close the gaps with something darker, it would make the tower seem more unified. The tower adds an interesting diversity within the other towers around it.

However, with that height, something original could have been done to have it stand out more.
    That my two cents for what it's worth.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

At least a peaked roof or SOMETHING...

While I agree that it is a very simple design, lets all remember that this is an extremely narrow building. Any type of torque or set-back would result in penthouses the sizes of walk in closets. You just cant have it both ways.

I think the building is deceptively wide in these renders. The plans show it as being within 5 ft as wide as the Sony Building, but it is theoretically a block further away from the angle of the render. I still believe this is going to be a stunning, impossibly thin building. I mean, imagine one quarter of 1WTC (but you know, same height). It's less than that.

1/4 the total floor space but it will appear about half from most angles, which is still pretty thin.

I'm just hoping this building has a great facade, that would be the only thing, besides the height to make it decent.