Page 66 of 151 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

A 1,400 foot monument to the absolute minimum that the human imagination can offer..... If it is completed as planned, it will be the biggest dropping Mammon has dumped in this city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel View Post

It utterly sucks. This shows how lame Vinoly is.

And yet every unit will sell for BIG bucks. Maybe lame, but not stupid.

crane parts have started to arrive...8.15.12

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-4.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	16150

I don't know, I'm pretty excited about this. Not just because of the height, but because it takes the leap to perfect square-dom that so many international style towers ultimately wimp out on. Blackrock is ok, but it'd be better square. I like 140 Broadway, but I wish it were at LEAST rectangular and not trapezoidal. The fact that this is very similar to the original WTC (buildings we now, posthumously, love?) doesn't hurt either.

I think if the exterior is of premium material, it will be quite solid. I guess it could turn out to be a 1400ft tall Kaufman hotel too, though. Time will tell.

What I want to know (again and again and again) is where is Dear Amanda Burden on this one?

Even more so than the Tour Verre, this will "compete" with the ESB on the skyline (her alleged reason for tampering with Nouvel's proposal and shrinking it down).

Well, Amanda? Where are you now? The developer here too chummy with the right people to raise any flags? Or does she simply think this giant Lego stack and Gene Kaufman's own Lego droppings around town are more aesthetically pleasing than Nouvel's masterpiece?

^Yeah, where is that Asshole now??? When she can actually impart a positive impact.

You guys are overlooking an important difference between the two buildings: 50 East 57th St is an as-of-right project, while Tower Verre had to go through land use.

In the land use process, there are competing interests, some more powerful than others, who have influence with the mayor and City Council, either one of which can overrule Amanda Burden (or basically just tell her what to do). The commissioner is appointed, and as the saying goes, "serves at the mayor's pleasure."

If you really believe that the tower was reduced because of some silly comparison to the ESB, then you don't understand NYC politics. We'll probably never know what, but I'll bet some deal was worked out, or some favor exchanged.

And what's the big deal? A mid-block 1000 footer in an already dense neighborhood. In how many places does that happen?

The silly part of the chop down is that it won't make one bit of difference in regard to complaints registered by those who live & work opposite the site on West 54th Street. But what is planned will result in more light and air for that stretch than the big block that would have gone up as of right on the MoMA site.

The ONLY saving grace of this abomination is that it beats out ESB for height. I can't stand how that building had a rule over midtown for 80 odd years.

I visited the site yesterday and got some pretty good pictures and video. I forgot how to embed videos on here from youtube, I think it was something like [youtubev=u6-WLyxLrt8]? But until I could find that out here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-WLyxLrt8

Wide angle shot of 56th street & the Hitachi 800 by Vin Schiano, on Flickr

Hitachi EX800 2-piece boom loading Peterbilt 378 bucket by Vin Schiano, on Flickr

Hitachi EX800 loading out by Vin Schiano, on Flickr

Hitachi EX800 loading out by Vin Schiano, on Flickr

Excellent coverage, 325 .

[video = youtube;ID]whole URL[/video]

Note: Leave out spaces before/after =

ID: u6-WLyxLrt8

whole URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-WLyxLrt8

Use this handy "insert video" feature by clicking the appropriate icon in the tool bar.

Current configurations allow only ONE VID per post

For a more complicated way to do insert a vid, there's info HERE:

BB Code

Explanation

BB code is a set of tags based on the HTML language that you may already be familiar with. They allow you to add formatting to your messages in the same way as HTML does, but have a simpler syntax and will never break the layout of the pages you are viewing. The ability to use BB code is set on a forum-by-forum basis by the administrator, so you should check the forum rules when you post a new message.

Below is a list of the BB code tags you can use to format your messages ...

Videos

The [video] tag allows you to embed videos from various video services within your posts.

Usage: value

Example Usage:

Default Channelling Sol Le Witt?

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    A 1,400 foot monument to the absolute minimum that the human imagination can offer..... If it is completed as planned, it will be the biggest dropping Mammon has dumped in this city.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lewitt_structures.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	16199  

Reminds me of Republic Plaza in Denver, built in 1984. We're going back to the future baby! And the future looks like Denver.