Page 77 of 151 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2257

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

This tower sucks. I would have been much happier with something that was 900 to 1,000 feet and had an actual design and CLADDING -- instead of a Soviet-style concrete facade.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; February 16th, 2013 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    A 1, 400 foot concrete stick. It's already discolored and looks like utter crap. Vinoly gave London a unique tower, and he gave us this joke.

We''re obviously lucky to get 400 PAS, 56 Leonard, and maybe Torre Verre and something good at 225 W 57th. However, this prime site deserved something better than this.
    Vinonly gave NY what the developers and zoning codes allowed. NY will never get a bending tower like that due to the zoning in the city.
    Last edited by futurecity; February 17th, 2013 at 01:19 AM.

Not true, Vinoly's tower could be built on any lot big enough in Miidtown/Fidi. It doesn't curve over the street, just it's own plaza.

Developers choices?

Yep, and London office space rents for a lot more than here. So developers can afford more outlandish designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Yep, and London office space rents for a lot more than here. So developers can afford more outlandish designs.
    If LL knows anything about RE development as a WNY veteran; he should know that 'architects' do not design buildings - 'developers' do the decision making, and architects 'decorate' those decisions. That being said; maybe London Lawyer is just 'taking a piss' as english expression goes.

I think this building is a well 'styled' work of modernist minimalism: I have got to give 'the developers' credit for choosing Vinoly to add a little style that concrete tower. I also like the 'look' of silver towers at NYU: this tower at 432 Park is same thing basically - just taller, waaaaay taller.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

i think that it's too early to reach any conclusions regarding the appearance if this building. the facade cladding is actually not all that different than the approach taken at the fifth ave setai, which i think we can all agree is a gorgeous building. i'll be among the first to poo poo this new skyscraper if it ends up being a sky-crapper, but for the time being i think it makes more sense to reserve judgment while the jury is still out.

Is the Setai's base concrete or stone?

If I recall correctly, Setai's base is stone, but the tower part is pre-fab colored concrete blocks that look like stone. This is usually a good way to cut costs without much visual impact.

Taking the piss. So many people get that one wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    So many people get that one wrong.
    OK, taking the piss it is then; jolly well, cheerio, and all that mate. But seriously, I understand the term to mean taking liberties at the expense of others; or otherwise being completely unreasonable.

Unfortunately we get a lot of that sort a behavior here on WNY; I believe, when one speaks they owe it to their audience to actually say 'something' other than spewing nonsensical verbiage. Posting foolish comments is taking liberties, being unreasonable - taking THE piss.

There are not enough moderators in the entire on-line universe to keep all the clowns in check: so let's all, as Mr. Churchill once said, "keep calm and carry on". LOL

I really feel I must have missed something on this thread. Moving along. I believe I shall have an EXCELLENT view of this getting built once it's a few hundred feet taller. It should block my view of the 4 Seasons entirely from this angle (being what, twice the height?). For reference, 4 Seasons is the stark white tower beyond American Radiator and a little to the left, in case not everyone knows the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Umm, that is unfortunate. I guess we'll just have to pin our hopes on our residential and mixed use towers then which we are having more success with (Tower Verre apparently will start soon - fantastic!!).

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    'architects' do not design buildings - 'developers' do the decision making, and architects 'decorate' those decisions.
    True enough as to how much money is spent. The quality of the concrete is 100% a developer decision.

There's no structural difference between what is called ordinary Portland Cement (gray concrete) and White Portland Cement. The difference is in how the clinker is processed. Minerals such as iron and manganese that account for the grayness of concrete are removed; this involves higher kiln temperatures and the amount of cement produced is less.

That means $$. Might be significant in a building this huge.

I guess the level of whiteness depends on how much the developer is willing to pay. I walked by yesterday for a quick look. So far, I have a mixed opinion; I'd like to see it in more sunlight and further along.

The concrete isn't as white as I would have liked, but of a completely different order than the gray concrete core. It's nothing like buildings such as the Standard Hotel. The forms are custom one-piece, so the surface is seamless.

Don't know yet; a lot is going to depend on the window frames; the deeper they are set, the better.

One thing you can tell right now standing across the street; it's incredible that it's going higher than 1 WTC from a quarter-acre base.

The square elements forming at the edges look neat. I should think these will cure to much brighter white than this, no? That will probably take a while from pouring. At least a week or two I think.