Page 95 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2257

Thread: 50 East 57th Street @ 432 Park Avenue (former Drake Hotel site)

This thing sucks.

It may have been answered previously but how does this chicken coop even qualify for a Park Ave address?

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I find that incredibly hard to believe. There seem to be plenty of all glass buildings that do not have any windows that open (and are residential). Sure this isn't for flammable buildings only?
    Windows are required for living spaces such as bedrooms, but they don't have to open. Ventilation can be natural (chapter 12 of Building Code) or mechanical (chapter 4).

There are requirements for lot-line windows to be fireproof if they are within a specified distance of another building.

Crane is just starting to peek out. This is going to dominate the view from ESB...

July 30th, 2013

Beginning to be seen!

I get it, this can't be compared to other buildings...but put this beside the progress pictures of 400 PAS....and wow, what a pig^.

Are the lower floor windows set back like they appear to be? So it's not even uniform?

And again, look how far it is from PAS...what is going in that corner lot that gives this building a PAS address?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I've been wondering the same thing. It's really on 57th. Maybe they're going to do some weird port cochere thing on the Park Ave. side.

Isn't it just the direction the entrance is facing? I reckon all they need is for one of the entrances to face east. It's certainly well far back from the street, but there it would be. On another note, this next crane jump, especially if it's all 6 of those segments sitting there, will definitely get this guy into view from my office. This thing is going to dominate that view in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    I get it, this can't be compared to other buildings...but put this beside the progress pictures of 400 PAS....and wow, what a pig^.

Are the lower floor windows set back like they appear to be? So it's not even uniform?

And again, look how far it is from PAS...what is going in that corner lot that gives this building a PAS address?
    Did the developers petition for the address? It's how 1049 Fifth Avenue got its address despite being on 86th St.

Despite its official address on Fifth Avenue, the building is actually located a short distance east on 86th Street, offset from Fifth Avenue by theWilliam Starr Miller House, which abuts its western facade.[1]When originally constructed, the address of the building was 2 East 86th Street. During its renovation, the building owners applied to the Manhattan Borough President's office for an address change, citing the fact that all floors above the seventh provide an unobstructed view of Central Park. This was for marketing purposes, due to the additional value that accrues to real estate with a Fifth Avenue address.[1] Such changes are unusual but not unheard of, and are granted if deemed justified.[3]
    The address change was approved and implemented in the spring of 1991.[3]

Forum Veteran

Addresses are strange. When I interned for DASNY a few years ago one of my duties was requesting address changes to the DOB. I think the convention was usually where the main entrance was, though that was nowhere near universal. The Alumni House at City College always bugged me because it has a Convent Avenue address, but not even a door on Convent Avenue.

I love that window detail, where the metal frame appears to float within the concrete structure.

Have to say, I am enjoying this very much in person. I hope a few of these pics do the building a little bit of justice. The concrete seems to be much better now than earlier. There's rigging hanging all over the place and it's hard to believe it's not been/being buffed or anything.

It's really hard to gauge the scale in pictures but when you are standing next to it you can plainly see just how large the windows are and that really makes a difference.

I think the concrete looks much better in person than in the photos.