Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Gene Kaufman...kough...kough, hack....hack...

I'm thinking 60's-70s.

Garage-Replacing Residential Tower Headed to Midtown East

February 12, 2015, by Jeremiah Budin

None of these are what the actual building will look like.

Handel Architects won the design competition for BLDG Management's 41-story residential tower at 222 East 44th Street, which, like so many other residential developments lately, is replacing a 10-story parking garage. That means that Gene Kaufman did not win, but we can still see what it would have looked like if he had via renderings that NY YIMBY found on the Gwathmey Siegel Kaufman website. They are somewhat more interesting than the standard Kaufman fare, with one design expanding as it rises and another awkwardly combining glass and brick structures.

The actual tower will have 429 residential units (87 of which will be affordable) and amenities including a swimming pool and basketball court.

Vision: 222 East 44th Street, Three Different Designs by Kaufman for Midtown East Residential Tower [NY YIMBY]
    Lloyd Goldman's BLDG files to build Midtown East resi tower [TRD]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...dtown_east.php

Default 27-45 Jackson Avenue - 12 April 2015

Gene Kaufman has designed a new hotel in the Long Island City district of Queens.

You forgot the word a$$ in front of clown...

"Designed" is overstating it. Incongruous mess. Maintaining the street wall is a tiny consolation.

You guys are making it sound like this doesn't fit with everything in the area, but around the corner you'd find this....

https://goo.gl/maps/BTMoc

And there is almost no doubt that the couple older buildings flanking this will be gone in the next decade or so. Remember, the Upper West Side looked like this in 1884:

Except for this, where the photo was taken from...

Adding another "giant WRONG" does little to help make a place right...

But it's not a giant wrong. It's just another building. Wrong would be finding out that Kaufmann's buildings are giving people cancer. I certainly don't prefer this, which is typical for here: https://goo.gl/maps/whajn. Also, these buildings are all pretty easy to reskin, so in 30 years when they need to be, we'll get something completely different.

Maybe not to you but to most of the rest of us...

Plus, I will not be alive in 30 years when (if) a re-skin could/would ever occur.

If the standard is suburban Colorado, then I guess this building is Superior to that. But shouldn't we have higher expectations?

I hear in 5 billion years the sun will swallow the earth, so why complain about Gene Kaufman? It's not like he's the end of all earthly existence.

Why complain about him? Because he's architectural herpes. And we have to live in the environment he's contributing to.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    But it's not a giant wrong. It's just another building. Wrong would be finding out that Kaufmann's buildings are giving people cancer. I certainly don't prefer this, which is typical for here: https://goo.gl/maps/whajn.
    Yes, I agree with that observation: and so does 99.875% of the general population. At least you and I recognize the architectural mediocrity of this Kaufmann Building. Your are accepting of the simple inevitability that most building's are utilitarian structures: which is sensible. Imagine though, all those 99.875% people can not even discern the difference
    between the Chrysler Building and a Kaufmann Building - that makes folks like us both accepting and discerning.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    If the standard is suburban Colorado, then I guess this building is Superior to that. But shouldn't we have higher expectations?
    Sure, except higher expectations could easily look like this:

And most people here would still be complaining left and right. I mean, we're talking about a group of people that heaps 432 Park in the ugliest buildings thread. And finding this building to be 'meh,' as I do is a wildly different claim than calling it herpes. I just can't get behind it being that bad. It's not to the level of the Boston's Government Center or anything. How much lower than herpes can you go? Is that architectural AIDS? I guess I just don't get the scale by which everyone here judges buildings. It certainly feels like the scale is one of exponential decay, where the few best buildings are just that, but then there is no ok or mediocre. It just falls right to herpes-level.

Roldan, I think you're being way too kind here.

I don't think every building has to be exceptional, or even good. The city has a lot going for it, so I accept a lot of bland buildings; but some of this Kaufman stuff is really hard on the eyes.