Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647

Thread: Gene Kaufman...kough...kough, hack....hack...

Herpes sounded right to me. It's everywhere. It spreads easily. It's unattractive, but not life-threatening. And it's often spread by money-grubbing whores (no offense to the men and women in the sex trade).

Are we supposed to not acknowledge herpes because cancer exists? Come on. Let's keep it real because I'm keeping it real.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Roldan, I think you're being way too kind here.

I don't think every building has to be exceptional, or even good. The city has a lot going for it, so I accept a lot of bland buildings; but some of this Kaufman stuff is really hard on the eyes.
    Yes some of them are ugly. And my claim isn't that they're all amazing, either. They're just pretty much whatever. And in general I feel like Kaufman's work is just uninteresting/mediocre. I don't consider it to be 'the worst.'

As for some of the other comments, herpes is just one of the comparisons. Plenty of other people call him a terrorist, or Hitler, or whatever. What, exactly, is worse than that? But clearly there is worse architecture. I mean, not only are these hotels perfectly sound buildings, they are also functional. It's not like they are failing to meet the needs of the people living there as so many of the worst things ever built (generally projects) do.

Shifting gears just a little, here's the prototype Holiday Inn Express outside NYC (aka everywhere else in the county):

Here they are in NYC:

Ok so if we go by what you are saying-that they are just common, everyday, outside of NYC crapitecture...
    Then they should be located on the side of the road- along a highway where they belong.
    This lowest caliber of crapitecture should have NO place in a world class city such as New York (at least not Manhattan).
    Gene is a "hackitect" at best, his structures almost always disrupt the city's street wall, and most certainly assaults ones visual senses.

I'd rather have any of the uggs in your #689 post (or a tax payer parking lot), than one single one of Kaufmans setback, paint box designed, twaddles
    And as far as being" perfectly sound" is concerned... they cut every corner they could get away with while building them.
    Hasn't there already been numerous problems with some of these $hitholes- like the waterfalls inside the lobby of at least one that had just opened after the pipes burst-
    due to lack of insulation?

I also had an electrician tell me (I can't confirm, but wholeheartedly believe him), that they even painted aluminum blocks black, and used them instead of the black rubber-like material
    specified, when installing the wiring in the 40th street tri cluster f#*@! (a fire trap waiting to happen - his words).
    You couldn't pay me to stay in any one of them.

Scumonkey - yes.

Roldan - no. No. No. No.

I wasn't supportive of NYC exceptionalism when I lived there, and I certainly don't buy it now. I'm not really here to persuade anyone, but the fact remains that these buildings are popular, the people who stay in them like them, and it's a very small group of people here who are vocally against them. NYC has always had a variety of mediocre buildings in it, but they are generally first to go (so that the oldest mediocre ones are gone). Not that amazing buildings haven't been lost as well, but just because crappy buildings torn down had no voice, doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Switch gears for a second, here's an opportunity to reskin these buildings (and plenty of others) at will for your own personal consumption: http://curbed.com/archives/2015/04/0...chitecture.php

Even all the buildings in those drawings made for colouring look better than ANYTHING Gene has hacked out

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I wasn't supportive of NYC exceptionalism when I lived there, and I certainly don't buy it now.
    The term New York Exceptionalism has been misinterpreted over time. It doesn't mean better; it means different, the exception to the rule. When I say that a building doesn't have to be exceptional, it has no reference to the concept of New York uniqueness, which probably has little to do with architecture.

I'm not really here to persuade anyone, but the fact remains that these buildings are popular, the people who stay in them like them, and it's a very small group of people here who are vocally against them.
    Kaufman designed this building; it's nor going to win any awards, but it's an acceptable building that fits in without a fuss. and I'm sure it'll be popular.

NYC has always had a variety of mediocre buildings in it,
    Kaufman's latest effort, like most of his others, isn't just mediocre; it's ugly, in a cartoonish way that screams: look at me, I'm a Kaufman.

Zippy - I don't think you're the person holding up NY Exceptionalism, sorry if it seemed directed at you.

Separately, I'd actually like to pull every single Kaufman designed hotel and put them in a lineup. It might be interesting. Some of them are cartoonish, but even these buildings have a place in the city. There are a variety of other cartoonish buildings around town.

Where even I am upset about these hotels is when interesting buildings are taken down for them. I won't ever support a parking lot over one of these hotels, even the garish ones, though. I know that some people here would and do.

I support the parking lot rather than a Kaufman because it (the EMPTY lot), at least gives hope that something worthy might some day rise there...
    with a garish Kaufman planted - all hope is squashed.

I'm not advocating "NY Exceptionalism" either- I just don't think there should be a place for his drek in ANY world class city.
    Like I said before, at best his work belongs next to an off ramp on a desolate airport side parcel.

Not a Kaufman but a Poon hotel at 120 West 41st:

And the Kaufman poster boys:

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    I support the parking lot rather than a Kaufman because it (the EMPTY lot), at least gives hope that something worthy might some day rise there...
    Using that logic, basically nothing should be built, anywhere. Outside of the Eiffel Tower or Chrysler Building or something, almost any site could be improved upon. So we should just bulldoze Manhattan to a giant parking lot because it isn't to your standards?

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Like I said before, at best his work belongs next to an off ramp on a desolate airport side parcel.
    Actually, his work fits in reasonably well in Manhattan, and would be horribly out of context "next to an off ramp on a desolate airport side parcel". There is probably no such building on earth fitting that description in such a location (tall, skinny urban tower with no parking).

His buildings, while usually unattractive (and sometimes, yes, hideous), are extremely urban, and only fit in the densest and most transit and pedestrian oriented neighborhoods. They wouldn't even be possible in a SF or a Chicago or a Boston, because you would need parking, you would need a motor-court driveway, and the economics of such a skinny tower would never pencil out.

The only problem I see is the ugliness, and we aren't going to put subjective beauty conditions in the zoning code, so not really worth discussing.

what ever you say gene...

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647