Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gay scene in ny

Default gay scene in ny

i was in sf before visiting ny, and i heard sf has the largest gay population in north america, but walking around the streets in ny, especially in the village area, i was wondering how ny's gay community would compare with that in sf? (fyi, i'm straight)

It has been estimated that there are almost 1 mil. gays in nyc. Sf only has a total pop. of 600,000. The percentage is higher in sf. , but not the actual number.

^^ Actually, San Fran is much bigger than that. (around 750,000 people) 1 million gays living in New York? 1/8th of the population of New York is gay? I find that a little hard to believe. San Fran is just a gay friendly town. NYC may have a lot of gays, but there is some backlash to gays in NYC if you step out of the village.

Banned Member

New York City has the largest gay population of any city in the U.S. I find the comment about "backlash if they leave the village" to be ignorant of facts and the city overall. This city does not have a gay ghetto in the Village. Gays live everywhere in this city. They are no longer an isolated minority. There isn't really a "gay neighborhood" although the application to move PrideFest to Chelsea probably represents the shift of gay entertainment and nightlife from the Village to Chelsea. However, gay clubs, bars and restaurants can be found from the Village up to the Upper West Side and from the Lower East Side up to the Upper East Side in Manhattan.

In larger boroughs like Brooklyn and Queens, hot neighborhoods for gay residency include Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, Park Slope, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Carrol Gardens and Flatbush in Brooklyn, and Jackson Heights, Astoria, Kew Gardens and Forest Hills in Queens.

San Francisco has the Castro District. San Francisco is a much more liberal city than New York, so perhaps that is where the perception comes from.

Default thanks for your post, guys!

i appreciate it!

As a gay man and a long-time resident of the West Village, I second almost all of BR's observations. We're everywhere, not just in the Village or Chelsea, and thriving. SF's a special case, and I'm not at all sure that it's "much more liberal" than NYC. It's more than 90% smaller and has more than its fair share of aggressively-rabid right-wing bigots.

Banned Member

Point taken, but we've had back to back two-term Republican mayors. Has that ever happened in SF?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    NYC may have a lot of gays, but there is some backlash to gays in NYC if you step out of the village.
    I've never experienced any backlash anywhere in nyc - and I'm sensitive to it after growing up in a place where people threw bricks at me and regularly yelled slurrs out of passing cars.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Point taken, but we've had back to back two-term Republican mayors. Has that ever happened in SF?
    Yes (though I'm not sure about the 2-term part). 5 Republicans served successively as SF mayor between 1912 and 1964! SF is also where one of their Democratic successors, George Moscone, and the city's most prominent gay politician, Harvey Milk, were assassinated in 1978 by a right-wing political opponent and bigot, Dan White, and a jury acquitted White of the murders (convicting him only of manslaughter). The "Twinkie defense."

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

This seems like an excellent place to plug the New York Blade, a free weekly that writes about issues of concern to the gay community. Every other week there's a real estate column by yours truly

I try to do general stuff about mortgages and renting as well as pieces about Chelsea-area new developments (the Onyx, Loft 25) and pieces that are specifically gay-oriented (an interview with my boss, Gil Neary, about special issues gays may face when dealing with a co-op board).

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

When i was in NY, i was a bit dissapointed with the scene, we could only find one bar. Isn't there a gay village in NY?

Default re:

You could really only find one bar? A few friends and I two Friday's ago went around the Village, just checking things out and having fun (we went to a psychic! lol.). I saw many bars and all sorts of gay-oriented stuff. It seemed that in some areas you'd be a minority if you were straight. I know this is old news but it's still weird to me, in ways.

I take it that you didn't hit Chelsea, Meerkat. Where were you, exactly? I can't imagine anyone being disappointed by the scene if they'd done their homework. There's probably as much a variety of gay bars as there is of non-gay bars. And that said, being gay in an NYC bar isn't as much of an ordeal as it is in many places, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight View Post
    ...We're everywhere,...
    Homophobes' worst nightmare come true

That's why I love Italy... who needs gay bars?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast