Thread: Recognise this?

Default Recognise this?

I can't get the photo to appear - sorry. The link works though.

What I want to know is where in NYC it was taken?
    My Dad took it about 15 - 20 yrs ago and has it on display in his home. He would love to know whereabouts it is.

Im pretty sure that building is just east along 53rd from citicorp center.

It looks like the southeast corner of East 53rd Street and 3rd Avenue, Manhattan. If so, the older, low buildings are long-gone.

That assemblage of buildings (now gone) used to be on the SE corner of 53rd Street / Third Avenue -- catty-corner from the Citicorp Buidling and across from the Lipstick Building. They were on corner in front of the fugly building below on the left (this \/ is the back side) ...

After a little research: That's 875 Third Avenue. The Times ran a story about it and those little buildings: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A966958260

Fantastic! Thanks so much.

I'll let him know first thing in the morning. Meanwhile, I'll Google Earth it.
    (Superb photos, Lofter1.)

Thanks again.

What service!
    Thanks ManhattanKnight.

^You're welcome. That was an easy one -- the view from my old office included the top of that eyesore.

The Dude Abides

I always wondered why it fronted 3rd avenue so awkwardly.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight View Post
    the older, low buildings are long-gone.
    What a shame.

They were an essay in urban neighborliness. This kind of friendly, homey scale is vanishing in many parts of Manhattan, especially in Midtown and the East Side. I think this is the kind of thing Fabrizio celebrates (and londonlawyer abhors?).

Agreed.

This neighborhood could use those little old shops on Third in that particular stretch, which is now a dead zone. They could have been spruced up to be quite charming. We could certainly use the small retail and food establishments that are lacking along Third. I remember LondonLawyer called for an entire row of such structures, just a few blocks north, to be razed. Every single one of them contains some kind of thriving small business needed by us in the area. Pizza, ice cream , newspapers, deli, and much more. Such buildings are the sources of every day needs that are not present in any new building bases around here. Drugs and Banks, you're covered, for everything else walk toward Second Ave(quickly succumbing to what already happened to Third) or, further yet, to First Ave. Where there are still such buildings, and hence still some restaurants and services from which to happily choose.
    Beyond the aesthetic value of the contrasting scale that such structures provide, they are what makes this city truly liveable. No matter how wealthy I become, sometimes I will just want a simple slice, or a falafel.

Londonlawyer, I know you must be joking when you use "hoi polloi" in that other thread, because otherwise I'd have to say, geez, you gotta come down to Earth once in a while.