Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scotland

Default Scotland

Due to a certain scottish flavour on the politics thread i thought id put on a few pics for everyone to see what all the fuss is about.

Edinburgh

Glasgow

Glasgow School of Art by Charles Rennie Macintosh, our most famous architect and designer.

Last edited by Alonzo-ny; May 19th, 2007 at 10:24 AM.

Glasgow again, you can see our Foster designed Concert hall

Tate tower, 98m, built in 1938 for the Empire Exhibition and demolished the following year

Glasgow tower, 127m, built in 2001 and has the ability to turn 360degrees from the ground up.

Our new Richard Rogers designed bridge

The Forth Rail Bridge with the road bridge in the background. There will soon be another road bridge to replace the current suspension bridge meaning 3 massive bridges over the same stretch of water from 3 different eras.

The Wallace Monument

Some landscape shots

Last edited by Alonzo-ny; May 19th, 2007 at 10:35 AM.

St Andrews, home of golf.

My college town.

The famous scottish parliament building

Last edited by Alonzo-ny; May 19th, 2007 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Very nice, but I propose a ban on future flat-roofed buildings hereabouts (also blank walls). Only takes one rotten apple...

There will soon be another road bridge to replace the current suspension bridge meaning 3 massive bridges over the same stretch of water from 3 different eras.
    Replace or supplement?

Great selection of pics. Very beautiful.

Its kind of both, they current bridge will apparently close to traffic in 2013 so the new bridge will be there by then, will be a disaster otherwise. but ive not heard it will be destroyed, it may be kept open for light traffic i guess.

Thumbs up

Very nice pictures, Alonzo. What a beautiful country.

I am acquainted with a professor at an American university who directs archaeological excavations at Loch Lomond in the summertime. He tells colorful stories about the treasures and perils that are waiting at the "bonnie banks". What do you know about that area?

download a song called loch lomond by runrig and you'll find out! I havent been to loch lomond for many years, its not far north from Glasgow where i live and i have fauge memories of it as a child and going on the famous boat which gives tours of the loch. Its also a big controversial issue because it is becoming very busy and noisy with watersports which a number of people dont like.

Its also a big controversial issue because it is becoming very busy and noisy with watersports which a number of people dont like.
    Ah, yes, the prof said that the crowds of watersporters are getting in the way of excavations; trashing the area; and ruining an ecosystem that took millenia to form. Is anything being done to curtail this?

I think they imposed some kind of restrictions, time restrictions or restrict the activities to one part of the loch. Not sure though as i havent heard about it for a while.

Couple More of Edinburgh

More Edinburgh

More Edinburgh

Leith Docks - Edinburgh

Magical City.

So vertical !

(without high rises.)

Oh WOW!! Just beautiful. Edinburgh looks amazing. What's wrong with me, I had no clue!
    I've got to visit that city.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast