Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Right Hand of JB has resurfaced... sort of.

Default The Right Hand of JB has resurfaced... sort of.

Hey guys.

Sorry I haven't been a fixture, like I said i would.

I'm hoping to throw something on the week of June 2nd or 3rd. I've messaged rob to see whether this would be cool or not. Since Maggie's Garden looked so beautiful, and you guys were so great about giving JB such a fitting tribute to his memory, that I felt that it'd only be appropiate to hold something for him there.

So let me know of your thoughts.

Banned Member

Hi folks-

Just a quick intro for those who are wondering about names...

MrBubs is "Paco," one of JB's best friends. He joined Wired NewYork on our memorial planting day and cooridinated some other lovely and moving memorial events immediately following JB's passing.

I know certain people expressed interest in returning to Maggie's Garden, which Paco will arrange via Brian Sahd at NY Restoration. I, for one, would be very interested in attending - provided the timing is right. Anyone else up for a frienly afternoon meeting of WNY members in a location very near and dear to us? Maybe someone wants to lead a photo tour or architecture tour from the garden?

I'm just putting it out there. I'd love to go, but the initial event was rather monumental for me (and Lofter). I have my memories of the efforts of the first memorial. This round I'd just like to be a follower.

Please respond ASAP to Paco, in this thread.

Cheers and Happy Memorial Day to All (Remember all those soldiers who died in duty in Iraq).

Rob

Architectural Padawan

Absolutely

I'd like to attend. Brooklyn, naturally I think you would be the natural leader for such an event, given your personal involvement, but I'm sure another leader/coordinator could be found. I could coordinate the event, but I do not want to lead the event as I missed the memorial last year and do not think I would be a fitting lead as such.

Right now for June 2 or 3rd I have:

Brooklyn
    Myself
    Deimos?
    mrbubs
    I realize this forum is rarely visited and June 2nd is quickly approaching. If I recieve confirmation of a leader/coordinator and a set plan as well as other RSVP's, I would be inclined to making this an event announcement on the forums so everyone is made aware of it. Feel free to reply here or PM me.

I have read so many of JB's posts that I've gotten to 'know' the good man he was. A part of him lives on in this site. Is it appropriate for people who were not members at the time to attend?

Banned Member

Well, first, this is being initiated by MrBubs, so I'll follow his lead and help if he requests it. As for who it is open to or whether it is appropriate to come if you missed the last event, that project was funded by the members of this board and the plantings were executed by a second group of WNY members, JB's friends, professors and school colleagues. I think those who were there can attest to the kind of spirit than permeated the day's activities. It was an exertion of goodwill all done in JB's name and honor. Certainly, I would encourage anyone of goodwill to join in. It was a Wired New York Project, although MrBubs (aka "Paco") might have an entirely new vision. Ultimately, it is about honoring JB, who was and remains a presence and influence on this community.

That's my two cents.

Good points, BR ^^^

My 2 cents:

Maggie's Garden (where JB's Memorial is situated) is open to any and all. Our efforts were to enhance the existing garden in the memory of JB.

If the gates to the Garden are unlocked & open then anyone should be welcome (someone should definitely check this with either NYRP or Maggie herself -- especially if there is a Yankees game the afternoon of the proposed get-together ).

first off, YES, EVERYONE CAN COME. This is something I envisioned for everyone to come together, and enjoy themselves in his name, as he would have intended.

Second, getting the actual plans off the ground was my thing, not Rob's, so I'd like to clear that up.

Thirdly...it'll be on the third. That'll be sunday. What times... I'll have to see.

I acknowledge that this was short-notice, so I'll probably hold another event later in June... because quite frankly, there should have been days where we acknowledged his death, and his birth, and the lack of events on those dates is my fault. So... two days... tentatively.

I ask for those who attend to perhaps bring contributions for all the stuff that will be purchased (the event will have meat, other things that can be BBQ'd, and booze), and bring a cheery mood. We'll have many a time to make toasts to the man.

That is all. Keep the posts coming.

And if you're coming, let me know.

Smile For Paco:

Quote Originally Posted by mrbubs View Post
    I acknowledge that this was short-notice, so I'll probably hold another event later in June...
    These links may be helpful in your scheduling of future events this June:

NYC Gay Pride Month Events

Brooklyn Pride
    Last edited by Punzie; May 30th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.

Note that there is a Yankees game in Boston the night of June 3 -- TV coverage probably starts ~ 7:30 PM.

FYI: Maggie (of "Maggie's Garden") doesn't miss her Yankees games .

At one point last year Brain Sahd of NYRP had talked about getting an electric hook-up so that Maggie could watch her games in the Garden. But I don't know if that was ever installed.

then someone should look into having something done about that, post-haste!!

I'll shoot for a 4-7 timeslot then.

bring your empty stomachs.

Default Announcement

The event for JB will be pushed back to Sunday, June 24. This will provide ample planning time, which means that more people can plan the event into their schedule, I can procur better booze, and I can get some good meat(s).

sorry about that folks.

Same time, though. 4-7pm.

Just to note that Sunday, June 24 has the NYC Gay Pride March, and the NYC Pride Dance afterwards:

GAY PRIDE MONTH EVENTS - June, 2007

----> Paco, I just noticed that July 4th falls on a Wednesday this year. If you schedule the J.B. memorial event on Saturday, June 30, or Sunday, July 1, it probably won't be conflicting with a July 4th weekend.

Also, it looks like the major Gay Pride events will be over by then.

Just an idea.
    Last edited by Punzie; June 7th, 2007 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Replaced events' descriptions with link

while I'm a major supporter of gay pride, and events for gay pride, I'd have to say that I'm not going to schedule something out of the way for those events. Since the dance is from 4-12, i figure that people wouldn't feel like they're being demanded of much, since they can go from JB's thing to the dance with plenty of time to spare.

Also, 6/24 seems choice since more of JB's friends will be in town than saturday or sunday, and July 4 and that time around is more my time (my birthday and various other things), so I'd rather dedicate virtually all my time for him that day versus giving him a bit of my time around various things around my birthday.

Exclamation Is J.B.'s Memorial still on for Sunday, June 24?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbubs View Post
    The event for JB will be pushed back to Sunday, June 24. This will provide ample planning time, which means that more people can plan the event into their schedule, I can procur better booze, and I can get some good meat(s).

sorry about that folks.

Same time, though. 4-7pm.
    Any updates would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast