Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: iPhone... anyone here getting one?

I'm pissed 'cuz I have a plan with ATT currently and my phone does all the things iPhone does. But because these iphone plans dont extend to the rest of Att phones I pay $75 for my voice plan with no data, while iphone users get unlimited data with voice for $60. It's a pretty scummy thing to do for ATT that will now have alot of angry users like me that have to pay 19.99 for a plan they give away for free to iphone users.

ack.

I think it is just to get it so that you feel less like an arse for spending $600 on a phone!!!

(My bets are that they are not doing any kind of "discount" for the phone through the plan, so they do not need to recoup any losses).

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

$600 for a phone doesn't seem crazy when you consider that alternative phones are going to cost $350 anyway . .. but I, at least, am not buying it because it's an expensive phone . . .I'm buying it because it's a cheaper (and presumably less heavy) tablet computer

The new iPhone will have more memory than the iBook that cost me $2K seven years ago . . . . even if it can't get me the Internet access I want (and I'm pretty resigned to the fact that, like the Blackberry, it can't yet, because those websites won't open on it) it's worth a $1 a day surcharge not to be constantly looking for an Internet cafe to check my email.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Ali, hold off at least 6 months (unless you have a sweet deal). No matter how much research and development goes into a new tech/software product, there is always a break-in period where they work the bugs out that they find only after a full release.

You will also see if there are any longevity problems with the set, as not many have been using these seriously for very long.

You can do what you want, just a bit of friendly advice!

ninja, you're right, I know Mac 1.0 is always a somewhat stupid thing to walk into, but I have to upgrade.

A wish I could show you my Nokia -- one of the spindles is busted (imagine an open jawbone with one of the sides busted) and it tends to close by itself and hang up on conversations. The speaker is also dying of old age (I got the phone two years ago, which means it's two generations old now) and will static out during any talk longer than three minutes.

My interim solution would be to get a Blackberry and wait a year, but every time I borrow someone's Blackberry to play with it, I feel like it's solely an email machine. That might, of course, be the nature of my friends' and clients' jobs, that those Blackberrys are corporately provided and their employers don't want the handset to be to do anything else.

My fear, of course, is that the iPhone testers so far have been men, so when they say "the glass doesn't scratch" they are probably talking about units riding around in their pockets, as opposed to a gal who doesn't have pockets in her skirts, and is going to stuff that puppy into a bag with a lipstick and a set of scratch-inducing keys . ..

And those razor blades you ladies carry around in your purses!!!!

OMG!!!!

I know where you are coming from. My razr (no connection to the joke previou) is driving me nuts with its battery, and the service from Verizon, while nice, charges you for EVERYTHING (why the hell would i want to pay $5 a month for Tetris??!?).

I would like a gadget like the IP, my only worry would be compatability and interface isues that they might have in their efforts to make it "easy" for the average user.

"Easy" meaning that everything you do and get would be through them, or a management program rather than just hooking up a USB or Firewire cable to it and dumping things in a directory......

That being said, Being able to surf (get movie reviews at the video store, game reviews, directions, restaurant locations and tips) would be REALLY handy rather than the old "call one of your relatives at home" method...

The only extension I can see for this being would be a merger with one of the GPS/mapping companies to make it so you can get directions in the car with it just like the Gamin machines. That is the only other tech "toy" I have really been looking at (would save a lot of google-map printouts in the car!!!).

Anyway, good luck!

Also, you may need to camp out to get one! One final thing, accessories like carry cases may not be readily available (to help prevent scratches). If you can't wait 6 months, yuo may want to still wait a few (2 or 3) until you don't have to buy one on E-Bay and when other MFR's make some cheap cases that will help with the scratch issue...

These are going for over 1k on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/I-Phone-1st-In-L...QQcmdZViewItem

If you are lucky, you can get a PS3......

Default actual iPhone experience

Went to the Apple store and played with one today.

They are very sleek and beautiful new generation iPods, with phone capability.

They are not really tablet PCs yet, partly because web designers are going to have to dumb everything down to make the interfaces work.

I signed on to olr.com, which is where real estate listings come from for me. While I can't even sign on from a Blackberry, on the iPhone I still couldn't get the sub-routines to work.

Couldn't get a movie to load. Got onto my gmail and replied to a message, but it took about five minutes, not because the touch screen is slow -- it's fantastic -- but because getting around all those little gmail boxes took forever.

The instant weather function was cool. The phone capability itself was ok.

So my verdict is, if you want a cool toy/entertainment machine, go for it. But they're not actually functional enough to work on.

I will end up getting either a tablet PC or Blackberry to deal with my email, at least for the next year.

Also, there is a "girl" problem with the phone. It isn't what I anticipated (that the screen would be vulnerable in a handbag, because it looks pretty durable) but rather that the touch screen responds to fingertip only, not fingernail. I have pretty short nails but I can imagine some ladies are going to have to sacrifice their manicures.

ali r
    {downtown broker]

I was in Soho on Friday afernoon. My wife and I walked by the Apple store, and I took a video of all the people in line. Starting at the entrance of Prince Street, around the corner and down the long block of Greene Street, around the next corner, and halfway down the block on Houston Street. That's where it extended to when we walked by. From the detritus, scattered chairs and pedestrian barricades, it looked like it had extended much further before they opened doors. The block of Prince Street in front of the store was road blocked for the day.

Click for Video of iPhone line.

Architectural Padawan

I ended up spending 18 hours on the line at the Cube, and it was a fantastic experience. The people around me were all purchasing the phone for personal consumption (or for their companies). I would do it again in a heartbeat; of course AT&T is still taking their sweet-ass time in getting my new account activated

The best part of the day was seeing how many TV/Radio/News/Internet interviews I could get, but of course I lost count due to lack of sleep...lol. CNBC was my favorite by far (live interview at 4:15pm) and Fox News Channel was my least favorite by far (taped interview). CNBC was asking intelligent questions (the only network who really cared to ask that kind, the internet news groups were also pretty good). Fox News Channel was asking questions in such a way as to get the answer they wanted and would keep pushing until the interviewee relented and gave them exactly what they wanted. CNN was funny... they were going for human interest stories.

Deimos, how is it? Did you get it activated yet? I did indeed here that AT&T was having activation issues, but I thought that they had been resolved by today.

Architectural Padawan

It's activated, although my number still hasn't ported from Verizon. I've been playing nonstop with the features that I can use (iPod, and the web and email via wifi). For a first generation product, it's pretty amazing, but I do have a few gripes which i'd expect to see improved over time, as they're mostly software related. All-in-all, the phone lived up to my expectations so far.

AT&T is beginning to give me concessions for the amount of time they've kept me waiting, so hopefully I'll be able to get all of the porting expenses reimbursed through credits on my account :-D

i love mine, though my first one would not fully charge. apple store soho, quickly gave me a new one.

Apple giving $100 credit to early iPhone buyers

After the price of an 8 GB iPhone was reduced to $399 from $599, CEO Jobs agrees to give store credit to those who paid the original price.

September 6 2007: 6:37 PM EDT
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- After receiving hundreds of emailed complaints from existing Apple iPhone customers angry about a steep price drop, chief executive Steve Jobs says the company will give a $100 credit to certain customers who bought the gadget.

Customers who purchased an iPhone from Apple or the iPhone's sole service provider AT&T (down $0.08 to $24.02, Charts), and did not receive any rebates, will receive a $100 credit toward any purchase at an Apple retail store or on its Web site. Further details will be posted on Apple's Web site next week.

Apple recently lowered the price of its 8 gigabyte iPhone to $399 from $599.

While Jobs defended the drastic price reduction, saying every new device has price cuts and improved models on the horizon, he apologized to customers who paid the original price for the iPhone.

"We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers," Jobs wrote in an email to iPhone customers. "We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple."

Jobs also cited hopes for a boost in holiday sales as a reason for the price reduction.

"The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced," Jobs wrote.

Apple (down $1.75 to $135.01, Charts, Fortune 500) shares fell 1.3 percent on the Nasdaq Thursday afternoon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast