Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone... anyone here getting one?

Architectural Padawan

Default iPhone... anyone here getting one?

So it's 9 days to go until the iPhone launch from Apple... I was curious if anyone here was planning on getting one? I'll probably be getting to the cube sometime around 2pm to wait on line... hopefully the phone won't suck....lol!

Lightbulb

No.

What is the point of getting a phone that has full internet capability if the service does not have EVDO?

Save your money and WAIT FOR IT!

You will have the benefit of not being the guinea pig for this thing, and maybe in 6 months they will have the additional service that will allow you to use some of the better features of the phone.

But if you have money to burn, go on and burn it.

Architectural Padawan

It's not such the money to burn as the desire to throw my current phone off the tallest building i can find. This is the first phone that behaves the way that I would want it to, so that's why i'm interested. I'm leaving verizon to get it as well. The only aspect of the phone that vexes me is the lack of 3g which you pointed out, but the one thing i've noticed when using my current EvDO phone (Motorola Q) is that the speeds never seem to be operating at speeds above cingular's EDGE network anyway, so I don't expect much of a loss. Places where I've tested:

NJ Transit trains or Coach USA buses when visiting my parents for a weekend - Phone tethered to my laptop via bluetooth serving as a modem; this is the fastest it gets

ESPN and MLB mobile sites via phone's built in web-browser - phone is slow as molasses

Google's mobile browser - again slow slow slow... not fast like EvDO should be.

Granted, I'm probably going to go to a cingular store and pick up a pre-paid phone to test for a week and see just how bad EDGE is for the same purposes, but who knows

via phone's built in web-browser
    Sometimes it is not the connection, but everything else.

You may want to see if you can try another phone in teh store to see how fast things go. It may be the firmware, the signal, or the sites you are visiting.

All of them go slow, comparitively, but if you are paying that much for a phone, I would expect more.

I do like their concept, but like I said, wait 6 months for them to get the wrinkles out and for the community to write some decent shareware

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Default iPhone, please, please . . .

I'm a real estate agent and I just can't operate without remote access to the Web . . .the last time I had to respond to an email to accept an apartment, my poor client had to walk SIX blocks with me to a Kinko's.

Surburban agents solve this by carrying tablet PCs, but I walk all day and they'd be too heavy.

Treos, I understand, don't have much memory, and I need a camera, so my choices are the iPhone or the Blackberry Pearl --- I don't know what the H EVDO is, but it seems intuitive to me that the people who make my computer can make a phone I can deal with.

Plus, Blackberry access to the Internet (not email) seems slow . . . but I would love thoughts from current users.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

EVDO is faster digital cell phone internet access.

You may be able to get more info at a tech site. Computers: www.tomshardware.com

PS, Apple knows how to sell machines better than they know how to build them. Their stuff is good, mind you, but it is very exclusive (only their stuff works on their machines) and you pay much more than comparitable equipment and software on another box.

The same is true for their other devices. Ipod, Iphone, et all. You get a lot, but always less than you pay for.

I'm cautiously awaiting reports of how the iPhone performs in the real world before I take the plunge and ditch Verizon.

I currently use a Treo 650 and love it, but the iPhone certainly does appeal to me. I'd really like to have my iPod and phone be one device, and with widescreen video no less. I'm wary though of the iPhone's big glass screen after purchasing a 5th generation iPod and seeing it get scratched up fairly easily even with careful handling.

For me, I'm going to wait it out until the second generation of the iPhone is released, and all of the kinks that are likely to exist with the first generation iPhone are solved. While I love Apple products, I've learned that their first generation products are often a bit buggy and early adopters are pretty much paying BETA testers.

Bingo!

It is like the "rule of windows".

Never get the latest M$ Windows until it has been out for at least a year.

Let someone else break in the leather for you, you know?

Architectural Padawan

Well the rule of thumb has always been to never get a first generation apple product... wait for the first revision. I've ignored it 4 times now, and haven't been burned too badly... I have a 1g iPod which still works although it's been replaced by a 1g iPod nano which works perfectly. I picked up a Mac mini when Tiger was launched, and it still works perfectly as a media server in my apartment, and my MacBook Pro was purchased the second they went on sale last January... it's the only one of the bunch that's had any issues, and even those weren't so bad (Yes, i suffered from the "whine").

Regarding EvDO: Verizon and Sprint operate their networks utilizing CDMA technology. It's just a form of digital tech. AT&T and T-Mobile by contrast use GSM as their digital technology, which is the standard that the Europeans developed. Focusing in on CDMA tech, there are levels of speed that are offered, starting with 1xRTT which came about in the early 2000's when digital phones were first rolling out on the PCS spectrum. Around 2004 Verizon began rolling out the upgrade to the 1x network which is known as 1xEvDO (Evolution Data Only). The Verizon brand name for this service is BroadbandAccess.

A further upgrade to the service is in the process of being rolled out now to 1xEvDV or EvDO Rev.A. The upgrade to EvDO provided a significant improvement to theoretical download speeds, raising the speeds from 144kbps to 2.4Mbps. On the flip side, upload speeds were left unaffected. When the upgrade to EvDV occurs, upload speeds will finally see the improvement. This upgrade will finally allow for true mobile video conferencing applications.

This is turning into more of a post than I was planning, so i'll cut it off here... I've tried to keep the information simple, yet relevant so that you don't need an engineering degree to follow it. Hope it helped!

Forum Veteran

I tried Cingular, and will never, ever use them again. The reception was ridiculously horrible, customer service not only disinterested but incompetent. I thought cellphones were like an interchangeable commodity, but they aren't - there's a real difference from carrier to carrier. I'll wait for the apple to open up to other carriers (and for the price to drop a bit - I thought $80 was a lot for my last phone with a contract...for $600 I want it to clean my apt)

I would get an iPhone, but then again I don't wanna be the first person in Paterson to get mugged for it. ( I kid the Silk City)

Already got one years ago.

http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk/ne...2K-225x240.jpg

I just need a new screen graphic that matches the Iphone. It uses GPRS for Data, not as fast as EVDO but browseable. There was an EVDO version too.

It has a full keyboard for typing with thumbs, Wifi, Bluetooth and normal GSM services. Word, Powerpoint, a fax modem with separate fax number if you want one etc etc. And, you can install Skype on it. Great for making calls when Wifi is around.

I'm typing this from the Apple Store at 5th - there are promotions for the Iphone everywhere here as if it's the Second Coming.

IPhone Monthly Plans Start at $59.99

June 26, 2007

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) As the Friday launch of the Apple iPhone neared and anxious customers formed lines to grab one, AT&T Inc. announced Tuesday that service plans for the hotly anticipated smart phone will start at $59.99 per month.

The two companies also said customers will be able to activate their wireless service, including transferring their existing cell numbers to the handset from home, using Apple Inc.'s iTunes software.

That's a convenience no other cellular carrier offers and something UBS Securities analyst Benjamin Reitzes called a "game changer" for the industry. Making the purchase and activation easy will lower selling costs and potentially further lift sales, Reitzes said Tuesday.

Three monthly plans with a minimum two-year service contract will be available: the $59.99 plan includes 450 minutes of voice time; a $79.99 plan includes 900 minutes; and a $99.99 plan includes 1,350 minutes. All three offer 200 text messages, unlimited data services, minutes that roll over month-to-month and mobile-to-mobile calls. There also is a $36 activation fee.

Customers can pay extra for plans to get more talk time or text messages. Several family-style plans also are available, ranging from $80 a month for 700 shared minutes to $120 for 2,100 shared minutes.

The monthly rates for the iPhone are roughly $10 less than comparable service plans for other smart phones offered through AT&T, AT&T spokesman Michael Coe said.

The monthly fee will be on top of the iPhone's price $499 for a model with 4 gigabytes of storage and $599 for one with 8 gigabytes. The phone is slated to go on sale at 6 p.m. local time Friday at Apple and AT&T stores as well as Apple's Web site.

Apple claims the iPhone which combines the functions of a cell phone, iPod media player and Web-surfing device will be easier to use than other smart phones because of its unique touch-screen display and intuitive software that allows for easy access to voice mail messages, the Internet, and video and music libraries. AT&T is the gadget's exclusive carrier.

Anticipation for the handset has reached or arguably even surpassed levels usually reserved for new video game consoles.

Five people were in line by Tuesday afternoon outside Apple's Fifth Avenue store in New York City, three of them having been in line since Monday.

"Words can't express why I want an iPhone," said Jessica Rodriguez, 24, a college student. "The main reason is (Apple CEO) Steve Jobs is a genius. He's a great innovator. It's going to be the next big thing in cell phones."

Sitting in a red folding chair she brought, Rodriguez said she was planning to get a $599 iPhone as a belated birthday gift for her sister. If the store will let her buy two, she said, she'll get one for herself.

Apple isn't saying how many total iPhones it will have at launch and hasn't disclosed whether there will be any per-person purchase limits.

Coe said purchases at AT&T stores will be limited to one per customer.

Meanwhile, some people who are unable to queue up themselves have posted help-wanted pleas on community Web sites like Craigslist, offering to pay someone to stand in line for them.

The iPhone's price which doesn't include any kind of carrier subsidy commonly offered for other cell phones lands on the high-end of the smart phone market, but analysts say the service plans are very competitive.

Sprint Nextel Corp., for instance, also charges $59.99 a month for 450 minutes of talk time, $79.99 for 900 minutes and $99.99 for 1,350 minutes along with unlimited data service. Its plans allow, however, up to 300 text messages and starts its unlimited evening calls at 7 p.m. instead of AT&T's 9 p.m. start time.

Verizon Wireless plans to launch new "premium" plans in July, starting at $79.99 for 450 minutes with unlimited calls on a Verizon network, unlimited nights and weekends, and unlimited messaging and data services, company spokeswoman Brenda Raney said. The most expensive plan will be $239.99 for 6,000 minutes of talk time, she said.

Skeptics question whether the iPhone can live up to its lofty expectations. Scrutiny of the product is so great that any small disappointment could send Apple's stock plunging, analysts say.

Apple shares dropped $2.69, or 2.2 percent, to $119.65 on Tuesday. Shares of AT&T fell 7 cents to close at $24.61.

Andy Hargreaves, a Pacific Crest Securities analyst, said Apple shareholders have run the stock up in anticipation of the iPhone's release, and they don't feel it will go much higher after the product is available, he said.

"I think expectations are very, very high and some people are taking some money off the table ahead of the launch," WR Hambrecht analyst Matthew Kather said.

Associated Press staff writers Nick Jesdanun and Barbara Ortutay in New York contributed to this report.

http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt...as/money/cm/nw

Three monthly plans with a minimum two-year service contract will be available: the $59.99 plan includes 450 minutes of voice time; a $79.99 plan includes 900 minutes; and a $99.99 plan includes 1,350 minutes. All three offer 200 text messages, unlimited data services, minutes that roll over month-to-month and mobile-to-mobile calls. There also is a $36 activation fee.
    that is, undoubtedly, one of the best data plan rates I have ever heard.

Maybe they are banking on the volume from the Iphone to offset the loss in profit (notice I did not say loss outright, simply less profit than most plans $100/mo data plan rates)

I, for one, am not looking forward to iPhones on the streets of Manhattan.

People are idiotic enough with their current toys -- I can only imagine how oblivious to others they will become once they get these gadgets in their hands and take to the sidewalks.

Better stay off those stairs down into the subway ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast