Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite beers

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Stella Artois (ONLY in Belgium, not the shite they sell abroad)
    Agreed. It's what I imagine cheap shampoo to taste like.

I don't know to what extent it's available overseas, but Western Australia's locally brewed Redback is very refreshing. If you so choose, it's served with a slice of lemon. I find that because it's so easy on the palate and goes down so well, it doesn't take long to feel the effects...

For a locally brewed beer, Redback always was obscenely expensive to buy here, but I suppose this will mean prices will increase, given the tyranny of distance and all that (and nothing but greed) (a bit of history). I hate Fosters beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ Astronomically priced.
    Not once everyone's had their minimum wage trebled

Seriously, in teh Uk you can buy taittinger for under 20 GBP per bottle if you buy by the case. I guess it dpends on how much you drink...

I rarely have champagne more than once a month, really, so I go for something decent (see above) normally and splurge for those 1-2 special occasions a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    A good mid-priced American: Korbel Brut.
    And a totally acceptable Spanish cheapie in an especially nice bottle: Freixenet Brut.
    This one really made me smile
    Korbel and Freixenet (borderline drinkable IMO) happened to be the two favorite drinks of a girl I used to know when I was a young college student...ah, the memories I would have happily drunk soda pop, then, with her.

Baltika 7th (Балтика 7) - best Russian beer.

Heineken - best European beer.

P.S. Actually best beer is vodka! (beer bear's joke)

Heineken? You serious?

It is OK, but nowhere worth the price. After being in Austria and getting those .6l bottles of the REALLY good stuff for about 0.35 to 0.60 eur each, sold seperately (no case price) I can say we are really soaked here.

To pay over $20 for Yuengling is outrageous! Petes Wicked, Sam, and Saranac all took the high price roue as well!

When it comes to small production, I can understand why they need to up the price to cover margins and initial expense, but when you are a large producer, charging over $20 a case for Corona (pisswater incarnate second only to Bud in craptasicality) is just plain greed.

The hard part is trying to convinve beer n00bs and introduce them to some of the better brews w/o insulting them...

I rarely drink some nonrussian beer, not because it is nonrussian, but because russian sorts of beer have better price. But I think Baltika now is unknown for EU and US, this is because I said Heineken too. It is not cheap, but not bad.

Actually Yaroslavl have self beer production - YarPivo (ЯрПиво), but I don't like it. (Baltika produced in St. Petersburg.)

Forget about Freixenet, the best cava available at that price point is Cristalino.

As for beers, I like Chimay Rouge.

Chimay has some nice ones, but they are all a little strong for my tastes.

If they fit your liking though I can see where they would be the best (The more original the beer, the harder it is to please everyone....)

Question WebErr:

Quote Originally Posted by WebErr View Post
    Actually Yaroslavl have self beer production - YarPivo (ЯрПиво), but I don't like it.
    What exactly do you dislike about YarPivo? (Just curious!)

The Dude Abides

Going all the way back to alonzo's original post...

Wow, I can't believe you drink Zywiec! I'd drink it here if it were more common, but that's all I drink whenever I'm staying in Poland. Have you tried any other Polish beers, like Okocim, Tyskie, and Tatra?

Other beers I like: Brooklyn Lager, Sam Adams (especially seasonal brews), Heinekeen, Amstel Light, Pacifico, and Pilsner Urquell. If I have to drink a mainstream American beer, I'll do either regular Bud or Miller Lite.

I tried a Mexican beer last night at a restaurant, I think it was called Sol. Very good - much better than Corona.

Speaking of beers:

If you are having trouble viewing this message, please go to http://tigerale.icontact.com/slyfox/blind_tiger_captain_lawrence_witte_kick_off.html.

Dear Tigerites,

Okay... New rule... This whole "I am not running for president" thing that the spin doctors have created for the up-coming election is kind of annoying... I mean, really, do we have to deal with over a year of this nonsense - and no, I am not calling our electoral process nonsense, but the massive amount of spin is kind of making me nauseous... Just say that you are running, please... pretty please... pretty, pretty please with sugar on it?

Beyond the talking and finger pointing, we now have to decipher who is actually throwing their hat in to the ring? Please, no! No, no, no, no, no! Don't talk about the elections, the candidates, the issues, how you would decorate the White House and then act shocked when people say you are running for office.

The word is coy, and it's only cute if you are in seventh grade. We have talk, double-talk, and now introducing no-talk with a dash of talk. Wow... You see what I am saying about the nauseous thing? On a less confusing note, this Wednesday (June 27th) at 4:00PM we will be introducing Captain Lawrence's Witte! Just so this new beer doesn't get too lonely, we will also have a few other of the Captain's Best...

The List: Captain Lawrence's Pale Ale (Draught & Cask), Double IPA (Draught & Cask), St. Vincent's Double, Smoked Porter, Witte, & Gold... There might even be some new bottles... No more politics, I'm serious - unless you find it interesting?

Alan

This message was sent by: Blind Tiger, 281 Bleecker St., New York, NY 10014
    If you want, you can copy/paste this to the events page w/a link, but I felt it was pretty appropriate given the original thread topic...

How about a nice ice cold:

or even better:

No offense Omega, but regular Budweiser is even better than Corona? Blech!! Does anyone else absolutely hate Budweiser? I can drink that stuff only if I'm already severely intoxicated.

For me, I'd say the Sam Adams Winter lager. And for a year round beer, I like the Magic Hat #9.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Going all the way back to alonzo's original post...

Wow, I can't believe you drink Zywiec! I'd drink it here if it were more common, but that's all I drink whenever I'm staying in Poland. Have you tried any other Polish beers, like Okocim, Tyskie, and Tatra?

Other beers I like: Brooklyn Lager, Sam Adams (especially seasonal brews), Heinekeen, Amstel Light, Pacifico, and Pilsner Urquell. If I have to drink a mainstream American beer, I'll do either regular Bud or Miller Lite.

I tried a Mexican beer last night at a restaurant, I think it was called Sol. Very good - much better than Corona.
    i tried Tyskie but wasnt impressed and i was already hooked on Zyweic for the fact i only needed 5 pounds for 5 pints and i was good for the night! I do like a good stella when im in the UK in the US i usually end up with Corona however that will change this year as its my first real time in the US over 21 and i will be able to experiment!

Budweiser (any A_B product) and Corona are not really beer. No more than those blocks of sweay plastic in the "dairy" aisle at food-4-less are "cheese".

I do like a cold Corona from time to time (like it it's really a hot day), in the same way that I still drink fizzy drinks form time to time.

But it ain't beer.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast