Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Favourite beers

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    Anyone here a fellow homebrewer?
    I home-brewed when I was a teen, but abandoned the practice when I discovered that people preferred my jello! jewels.

Jello Jewells? You were the school cafeteria lady?

http://www.uisd.net/schools/lunch/Hi...thighlunch.htm

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    Jello Jewells?
    It's not "Jello".

It's "jello!".

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    How is this place? I've wanted to check it out with friends for a while now.
    As Ahhhhhnold would say:

"Do eet! Do eet Nahowwww!!!!"

I would recommend it. It is in a gread, albeit a bit touristy area of the village (corner of Jones and Bleeker, I think that is right up next to 7th/Varick).

The beers are great, and if you really want to know, just ask the bartenders OR someone with a beer that looks like the type you would like. Most beer-hounds LOVE to talk about what they are drinking and their opinions on other brews!!! (It is a pretty good ice breaker too, if you want to chat with fellow beer lovers!!!).

I would, however, recommend going in early on weekends or during the week due to lack of seating space. This is not a crowd pleasing place, unless you go REALLY early and claim half the bar!

The Dude Abides

Gotcha. I've passed by it a few times but never had the chance to go inside. I checked out Peculier Pub a few days ago - place was packed with college kids. They had a surprisingly nice selection of drafts. I finally got to try Magic Hat, which was delicious. The Smithwick's was really good too, although I'm not as big a fan of Newcastle.

Gotcha. I've passed by it a few times but never had the chance to go inside. I checked out Peculier Pub a few days ago - place was packed with college kids. They had a surprisingly nice selection of drafts. I finally got to try Magic Hat, which was delicious. The Smithwick's was really good too, although I'm not as big a fan of Newcastle.

Newcastle is OK, but it also depends on the tap.

Not my fav though.

Smithwicks (pronounced "Smitticks") is pretty good. I have about 7 left of a case I bought a few weeks ago.

Magic Hat comes in about 6 varieties. You probably had #9, which was the Apricot flavored beer. A nie finisher, but if you have several, the sweetness gets to you a bit, and the apricot begins to taste bitter.

Circus Boy (Again, Magic hat) is pretty good too.

Peculiar is a decent place, but NYU knows about it, so it all depends on when you go (moreso there than at Blind Tiger).

If you are looknig for good beer, there are two other bars taht are listed on the BT website that are not bad. One is Collins. A narrow stripe of a dive bar up on 46th and 8th. Tiny, but decent selection.

The other is the Spring Lounge. Good beer, nice setup, but falling prey to a yuppie/buisness type crowd less considerate of their compatriots. It feels a bit more trendy, or "genuinely fake" than the others, but the beer selection is good.

One place I have not been to, but claims a huge selection, is the Burp Castle. Monks that come around telling you to shush as you have one of their ### beers in stock.

So, if you want to sample B4 buying, go to it!

Tthe thing I would like to know is where are the best and/or cheapest places to buy cases of beer in and around the city. Hoboken has a so-so selection at Sparrow Wine and Liquor (uptown branch). All thr city distributors seem to be limited in selection, high in price, or both. And nmost of the suburbs are eitehr small discounts for generic beer, or $$$ for "trendy" microbrews that have not been bought out yet.

Any input on that in conjunction with the beer recommendations?

The Smithwick's was really good too...
    Big fan of Smithwick's, and glad that it is plentiful.

Default The Black Stuff

a good old pint of guinness

The first batch of my home brew came out great. It was a pale ale. Next I'm going to try a brown ale recipe.

Way to go!

Still enjoying my Fat Tire-esque summer ale, I will definitely do this one again. But today is a Guiness and Yankee game type day.

I have two batches maturing, one is a strong Blue Moon inspired Belgian Blonde ale, the other is a lighter Red Stripe inspired pilsner. Both will be ready next month.

Good luck with the Brown Ale, TimmyG. Careful with that yeast!

dont know what my husband will drink when we go in February, I like wine and the odd gin and tonic, he normally drinks fosters, maybe have to drink stella (strong though) what is american beer like

^ Stay away from anything by Anheuser-Busch or Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ Stay away from anything by Anheuser-Busch or Miller.
    why are they awful

Quote Originally Posted by turkishann View Post
    why are they awful
    Worse than that.

They've discovered they can bottle anything at all and sell gobs of it --if they advertise it heavily during the Super Bowl.

Every year, like clockwork...

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Worse than that.

They've discovered they can bottle anything at all and sell gobs of it --if they advertise it heavily during the Super Bowl.

Every year, like clockwork...
    thanks for that, I may be cruel and not pass on this information to my hubby

then I can sit and smirk while he drinks it

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast