Thread: Suggested Donations for Museum Admission

Default DonationsPlease!

I'm planning another weekend in Gotham, and will be taking g/f to museums. The last time I was at the Met, I noticed the (discreet) word "donation" on their large signage above the entranceways where you pay.

I was looking at the city passes online and to take advantage of this, one must be in the city for more than a weekend, or cram like mad, which will cloud the experience.

Technically, are museums just suggesting the amount? Can you pay what you want to get in? Thanks, Ken
    Last edited by Punzie; June 26th, 2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Made thread title more descriptive

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
    Technically, are museums just suggesting the amount? Can you pay what you want to get in? Thanks, Ken
    Are you ready for the dirty looks?

You certainly can pay what you like. I think they are "suggested" donations because certain museums receive public funding.
    When I was first starting out, I often needed to go to museums for reference, and I remember one time I just couldn't swing the full price (third museum that week), so I explained apologetically to the cashier as I gave her $10.
    She pushed $5 back across the counter to me with a smile, saying "Don't worry, I know how it is."

Good one ^^^

The bottom line is to give something ... don't try to get in for free unless absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist View Post
    Technically, are museums just suggesting the amount? Can you pay what you want to get in?
    The museums are suggesting that amount -- you can pay whatever you like.

The idea behind it: Noone should be denied access to that museum because s/he is too poor to pay for the admission.

The reality: Poor people have fair access to the museum, but many people who can afford the suggested donation pay less. (There's a very old New England saying: "I don't know how they go to church on Sundays.")

Default aha...

Just last evening, I happened to talk to a young girl, just out of F.I.T. She had to frequent the museums and she had little money. She said that she gave one dollar each time she visited!

The last time I was visiting New York, it was Museum Month for Bank of America card holders. You just show your card at the ticket counter and get in for free. Now I'm wondering whether this is just a clever costless promotion for Bank of America (since you don't have to pay anything to visit the museum) or if in fact the bank makes a small donation on their customers' behalf.

Forum Veteran

Atleast give half the suggestion, its what I do normally