Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: One Madison Park - 22 East 23rd Street - by Cetra/Ruddy Inc.

Banned Member

I'd hate to see Live Bait gone.

I walked by here at lunch time and noticed that the buildings to the east of the Dunkin Donuts building are closed and look vacant. Hopefully, they'll be razed as they're the worst ones on the block.

I coulbe be wrong but I think that grey building is where the Aperture gallery and retail store used to be. I work nearby and I will take a photo the next time I remember to bring my digicam to work.

Here's a shot of those buildings. I was right, that is the old Aperture building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23rd st.JPG 
Views:	643 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	1746  

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by GowanusGuy
    Here's a shot of those buildings. I was right, that is the old Aperture building.
    Au Revoir Aperture.

No building permits have been filed yet and there's nothing on the architects' website, but according to the Sota Glazing website it will be 47 stories. I guess it's also safe to presume that it will be clad with glass.

22 East 23rd Street
    20-22 East 23rd Street
    47 stories
    Cetra/Ruddy Incorporated
    Residential
    125,000 Sq. Ft.
    Proposed

Since there's no permits, I guess there's not much info yet.

I was wondering how narrow this tower was going to be.....and is it going to abut the balconied building on the corner?

Sota glazing does great work on glass (Centria, Orion) so this should be good.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

This one will be a very thin, sliver building.

Yea, the footprint only encompasses the two buildings pictured above in GowanusGuy's post. More developers need to do this. Instead of demolishing a whole blockfront for a life-sucking, obese residential tower, buy/transfer air-rights from adjoining properties. This leaves the block mostly intact and provides a taller, slender, and more elegant tower.

the developer is "SLAZER ENTERPRISES"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3
    I think the developers are Glenwood Management. Expect something hideous like all the rest of their buildings.
    it closed at the end of March 2006
    the seller was "Peter Fine's Atlantic Development Group"
    and the byuer was "Ire Shapiro's SLAZER ENTERPRISES"
    of New City, NY
    SOLD FOR $36 million

New building permits were filed, along with demolition permits for the 2 properties (20 & 22 east 23rd).

The stats: 47 stories, 544 feet, 97 units, only 163,500 sq. ft, showing just how narrow this tower is going to be. I'm wondering how the party walls are going to look, but since a lot of air rights were bought, I'm thinking they will not be blank (hopefully).

I checked the Cetra/Ruddy website but found nothing. It's going to be glass, though, and personally I find Cetra/Ruddy better than average.....so it should be a decent building. It might look like Ariel West, another narrow tall tower.

At DOB the C of Os show that each lot is ~ 25' x 98', making the combined lot ~ 50' x 98' = ~ 4,900 Sq. Ft. plot.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

47 floors should make it the tallest building in the area, yes? (Other than Belvedere)

It's across the street from Met life, which is 700 feet tall, a former world's tallest nearly a century ago. It will be prominent from Madison Sq, which is surrounded with stunning buildings. 2 modern buildings are also on the park, the Merchandise Mart building (also taller at 600+ feet), and that ugly apartment tower. Hopefully, this new one will add to the beauty of the park rather than detract like the other two.

Madison sq. park is probably my favorite park in the city, beacuse of its intimacy, and three of NY's most beautiful buildings.....Met Life, Flatiron, and NY Life. The other pre-war buildings are also in pristine shape and many are being converted into condos.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast