Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 33 Beekman Street - Pace University Dorm - Gene Kaufman

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Nice buttocks. I love when they are pointy like that.

Unfortunately seems we can't do that.

Only the economy can.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    Nice buttocks. I love when they are pointy like that.
    That was a good avatar.

I changed it though because I wanted to see Alana de la Garza every time I posted. Hopefully, I can find a nude photo of her and have that as my avatar.

I hope that you succeed in that search. It will serve the public good.

On Jul. 6, 2011, TheRealDeal.com reported that Chang sold this development site. Let's hope that Kaufman's hideous design is now dead and that they new builder will construct something else.

Looks like this is moving forward:
    1) backhoe sitting on the development site
    2) excavation permit filed in february -
    http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01
    3) standpipe permit filed in february -
    http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Gene Kaufman is still the architect of record here

In case anyone has forgotten:

Downtown TowerWatch: Mr. Gehry, Meet Mr. McSam

But so far the New Building Plan has been DISAPPROVED

Kaufman 0, Public 1

No new construction fence as of this morning. Surely they're going to leap on this one soon. As I mentioned previously, it seems like they've been waiting for Gehry to wrap, as there really hasn't been space on Beekman for staging both towers at once. They've now almost completely finished this side of NYbG. This whole nabe is fast going nuts on the construction with this, the place at ann and nassau, 6 platt, the place on fletcher st, and from what I can tell, the hotel on ann behind this.

Forum Veteran

New Hotel in Construction at 33 Beekman Street
    The former parking lot at 33 Beekman Street, at the corner of William Street, soon will be replaced by a 32-story Homewood Suites hotel. Contractor Cava Construction kicked off foundation work at the site this month, through late summer 2012. Superstructure construction and façade installation will follow throughout 2013, with the new hotel slated to open in early 2014. The project is one of several new high-rise hotels under construction or already opened since 2002 in the Financial District.

Looks like the filings now suggest 42 Stories and 385 ft. That's a bit taller than the previously approved plan. Not seeing drawings. They filed for a new curb cut, which is weird considering there was a perfectly functioning one before. Oh well.

One carries one's life in his hands when uttering such words on this site, but I do hope that this tower gets built as rendered. I think that its playful design will work nicely alongside the silver grandeur of mr. beek.

Good news: The hotel is out. Pace University dorm #2 is in.

Bad news: Kaufman is still in.

Take it for what it's worth news: The design isn't as totally ridiculous as the original hotel. There's even a Diminutive Gehry.

Street-level detail of Pace's 33 Beekman Street tower.
    Courtesy Gene Kaufman Architects

Average Pace

University expanding Lower Manhattan campus with dorms by developers.

Today Lower Manhattan is having a renaissance as a vibrant hub complete with striking new architecture, from the rising World Trade Center complex a few blocks west to Frank Gehry’s twisting residential tower at 8 Spruce Street. Over the next few years the streets around City Hall will become even livelier, as almost 1,300 Pace University students settle into two new residential towers, one under construction at 180 Broadway and another recently announced for 33 Beekman Street.

Pace, a private university which got its start in 1906 holding accounting classes for a dozen students in space rented in the New York Tribune Building (the university later bought the old New York Times Building at 41 Park Row), now caters to over 13,000 students in graduate and undergraduate programs. Many attend its Manhattan campus, housed in a collection of buildings just to the east of City Hall Park. More than 600 Pace students who require housing cross the river each day to dorms the university leases in Brooklyn Heights.

William McGrath, senior vice president and chief administrative officer of Pace, said the school wants to begin to foster a new “24-hour learning environment” by promoting learning outside the classroom and, thus consolidating Pace’s urban campus. Students focusing on history, for example, could be clustered on a dorm hall with an apartment housing a member of the history faculty, who would organize extracurricular activities related to students’ interests.

However, Pace’s innovative approach to learning is not necessarily reflected in the design of its new dorms. Pace seized two recent opportunities to work with publicly held developer SL Green on the creation of residential towers close to its Manhattan home base.

As developer and owner of 180 Broadway, which will open to 600 students in the fall of 2013, SL Green proposed architect Karl Fischer, best known for his generic series of condo towers in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Fischer’s 24-story building includes retail at the base, part of a serviceable but workaday design that evokes the neighborhood’s recent past rather than its future. For 33 Beekman, a project co-developed with the Harel Group and the Naftali Group, SL Green chose Gene Kaufman Architect, whose own 32-story Beekman Tower will gamely take its place beside Gehry’s Beekman Tower and house 700 students by 2015. “We’re trying to be a good neighbor. We want to create a dialogue with the surroundings,” said Kaufman, whose brick-clad building is accented with curved metal panels in homage to Gehry.

As it has in the past, Pace’s urban campus continues to grow organically, with function taking precedence over form. Although the university may have a progressive approach to student life and learning, that does not yet extend to architecture, a position best expressed by McGrath when asked about the choice of architects: “We were pleased with them, they had good experience in the field.”

Molly Heintz

Copyright © 2003-2011 | The Architect's Newspaper, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Good news: The hotel is out. Pace University dorm #2 is in.

Bad news: Kaufman is still in.

Take it for what it's worth news: The design isn't as totally ridiculous as the original hotel. There's even a Diminutive Gehry...
    I thought the same thing when I saw this. This is tolerable. That initial hotel proposal made the William Beaver House look like a masterpiece in comparison.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast