Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sherwood Equities Tower (34th Street and 10th Avenue)

Default Sherwood Equities Tower (34th Street and 10th Avenue)

Sherwood Equities has proposed a 2.5 million square foot office tower at 34th Street and 10th Avenue. Information is limited but construction is probably dependent on an anchor tenant or the completion of the 7 train extension.

From Sherwood Equities website:

From Advanced Media Designs website:

Kohn Pederson Fox are the architects of record although that may change, more likely the height and design will change as this proposal nears realization.

Using both renderings as reference I counted approximately 65 storeys, although it looks much taller than that, it does have a number of double height floors, presumably the taller floors at the base are trading floors.

It looks very lonely there, but there's a wave of new skyscraper development planned that will make this one part of the pack. It's like a cross between Foster's and Rodger's towers at the WTC...

Quote from an article in the Observer, and developer of this tower:
    http://observer.com/2007/behold-mini-city-rises

Behold, a Mini-City Rises

by Matthew Scheuerman
    April 24, 2007

Jeff Katz.

“This plan will do for New York what Canary Wharf has done for London,” said Jeff Katz, president of Sherwood Equities, which owns both commercial and residential property in the district. “In order for Manhattan to remain one of the most critically important financial centers, it needed a place to grow. We didn’t really have a place to grow before Hudson Yards was put into place.”

In contrast to Canary Wharf, which is about three miles away from London’s traditional financial district, Hudson Yards is nearly adjacent to midtown Manhattan. It remains to be seen whether the same type of star-studded architecture will take hold in the West Side’s former warehouse district as it did in London. Right now, experienced (if critically unacclaimed) architects like Costas Kondylis and Gene Kaufman have work going up. Sir Richard Rogers, Kohn Pedersen Fox, and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill—all of which also designed for Canary Wharf—have projects on the table.

Though residential use is supposed to dominate the northern and eastern ends of the district, office towers are supposed to be arranged in an “L” shape, north-south along 11th Avenue opposite the newly reborn Javits Center and east-west in the low 30’s. Key to the southern corridor are the Metropolitan Transportation Authority railyards, which have yet to go out to bid.

But it’s telling that two landlords are willing to discuss some details of their projects.

Brookfield Properties, which owns most of the block between 31st and 33rd streets on the west side of Ninth Avenue, is drawing up plans for four towers. Mr. Katz, the president of Sherwood, has come up with a schematic plan for his 11th Avenue parcel to show off to financial companies.

Mr. Katz said he would not start without securing an anchor tenant—which is normal practice for office buildings
    —but both the Sherwood and Brookfield parcels are large enough to provide the 65,000-square-foot trading floors that investment banks like J.P. Morgan Chase are now looking to build at the World Trade Center site.

Mr. Katz, the president of Sherwood, has come up with a
    schematic plan for his 11th Avenue parcel to show off to financial companies.

Mr. Katz said he would not start without securing an anchor tenant—which is
    normal practice for office buildings
    JUNE 17, 2007

The site is mostly parking. No signs of imminent construction, though things
    could change in a hurry if a tenant is found...

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Cool I like that design.

Plus I didn't realize we had a drive through McD's in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    There are wonders to behold on Manhattan's west side...

What a shitty, dull side of Manhattan. Large-scale change was only a matter of time around here, if not under Bloomberg, then under someone else. However, as this area becomes redevelopment paradise, I hope that a reasonable amount of relics from its industrial past remain, even if under new uses. And I also hope that this soon-to-be rampant development doesn't spill over into Garment District, one of Manhattan's best preserved pre-war environments.

Another benefit that, to me, is one of the most important about these upcoming towers, is that they will hopefully make 1 Penn Plaza look less out-of-place, which it definitely is.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If the Random House tower and the John Hancock tower in Chicago mated, this is probably what the offspring would look like.

I admit I have a problem

Nice rendering. But will big-money tenants really want to be on Eleventh anytime soon? The future 7 is just one subway line ...

I bet an underground passageway from Penn Station, beside the railyards, would make this more likely.

big-money clients with forward planning looking for a good deal on potentially the NY canary wharf?

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    125th has one too, and there may be possibly more further uptown.

Quote Originally Posted by 212 View Post
    Nice rendering. But will big-money tenants really want to be on Eleventh anytime soon? The future 7 is just one subway line ...

I bet an underground passageway from Penn Station, beside the railyards, would make this more likely.
    Supposedly one of the rail yard bidders already has a tenant lined up for that project, so this wouldn't be so far fetched. One subway line is all you need, this will be the end of the line.

The site compared to other west side developments...

Quote Originally Posted by 212 View Post
    I agree it's hard to imagine marquee tenants willing to locate this far west with limited transit options, especially with millions of square feet of new office space scheduled to come on line at Ground Zero in the coming years. If I was a company seeking space, and was either priced out of Midtown or unable to find enough square footage there, I'd prefer to locate downtown, where the infrastructure is in place, than become a pioneer in a neighborhood that's likely to remain desolate and poorly served by transit for years to come. But I suppose if the price is right...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast