Thread: Moving to NYC in 3-5 Years

Default Moving to NYC in 3-5 Years

I am a 24 year old who just moved from Minneapolis to Kansas City, the problem is that neither of these towns have ever given me the "big city" feel and it has always been a dream of mine to live in NYC. I have started thinking about finally moving there, although it will have to be in 3-5 years since
    A) I just moved and
    B) I want to have more career-experience so I can make a respectable amount of money to have a good lifestyle in NYC.

My questions are,
    A) is that too late in life to just pack up and move to NYC, will it be too much of a culture shock? and
    B)What neighborhoods are the safest? I have only been to New York once, when I was a soph in HS and don't really know the area.

I know I am kind of premature on starting to look at apts. etc since it is 3-5 years out, but I would like to do a lot of research during those years so I can make sure the move goes smoothly when I finally pull the trigger. Thanks in advance!

Safety in New York

It's not too late to pack up and move to NYC. I recommend that you do it ASAP, while you're still young and commitment-free -- and before you get used to the wonderful, affordable housing in Kansas City. It's not "pulling the trigger," as you put it -- it's just moving.

Last edited by Punzie; July 8th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Yeah, I want to do it ASAP, but career-wise I will have to at least wait a couple years as I just went through the transfer process, also to pay down some of my bills so I can afford NYC more comfortably. I am someone who plans ahead though, and wants to know all there is to know about NYC before the time gets here. Am planning to take a few trips out there when I get the chance to start getting the lay of the land. Needless to say, I have spend my whole weekend looking up information on it, to make sure I am not just swayed from seeing NYC on my favorite TV shows (King of Queens, Seinfeld, etc.) It looks like a culture shock but just researching it is bringing back fond memories from when I was there back in high school for a class trip.