Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed - 111 Washington Street - by Costas Kondylis

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Thanks Derek. Let's put it up...(by the way, I like what I'm seeing)

The Dude Abides

I walked around this area a lot today. It is very busy with construction activity, between this, W Downtown, 65 West, and scaffolding up on another low-rise building.

This looks great. Much better than the W nextdoor. It'll look great just south of the WTC!

I hope that they don't raze 105-107 Washington. There's no reason to do so. The parking lot seems big enough to hold this building.

LL, have you thought about sending in a landmarks application? Especially if CB1 already gave the landmarking its imprimatur last year, it might be worthwhile to rekindle the flame before it's snuffed out.

I came across this while riding home in a cab tonight. It's only tenuously related, but it makes a strong case in its own way for 105 Washington's preservation. Even if this new hotel isn't threatening it, you can be sure someone will want to knock it down at some point...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A96F958260

PS Can the area hold this many hotels? With McSam's future eyesore, this makes it ... how many FiDi hotels? A lot, it seems. Is there a market for such a large number of beds to come online in the next 5 years?

The white building ^ at 103 Washington will remain. It is on the calendar at Landmarks for possible designation. It is the home of Moran's Bar & Grill.

The brick neo-Georgian buildng to the north at 105-107 Washington is coming down. The DEMO Permit was issued on 4.28.08.

Apparenty the 5-story red brick walk up at 109 Washington will remain, leaving a narrow sliver lot between the two projects.

103 washington is pretty, i dont care much for the brown one next door..

anyways, love the render! hope it turns out equally as impressive

103 is gorgeous and should be saved. 105-107 is nothing remarkable and is no great loss, especially for a building of this caliber.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The white building ^ at 103 Washington will remain. It is on the calendar at Landmarks for possible designation. It is the home of Moran's Bar & Grill.

The brick neo-Georgian buildng to the north at 105-107 Washington is coming down. The DEMO Permit was issued on 4.28.08.

Apparenty the 5-story red brick walk up at 109 Washington will remain, leaving a narrow sliver lot between the two projects.
    that's my understanding as well. admittedly i wish that 109 was coming down - it's a total POS, and i'd rather see that space used toward one of the towers. anyhow its days are limited once those towers go up.

Don't be so sure.

According to Department of Finance records from October 2005 ("Zoning Lot Development and Easement Agreement") the air rights for 109 have been transferred to the project at 111 Washington. By that Agreement 109 & 111 have been combined into one zoning lot and 111 has purchased the "excess development rights" of 109, allowing 111 to go taller.

Another upside is that corner project at 111 should be able to have windows on the exposed south facade.

And the project going up mid-block at 105-107 will have "protected" properties on both sides, so seemingly that new building could have windows on both the north & south faces, thereby saving us from huge slabs of blank walls on these new buildings.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

good point. nonetheless it pains me to think that the rat trap at 109 will continue in its cruddy condition while surrounded by sleek new towers.

The Dude Abides

I wish I had taken a few more pictures of this area yesterday. I'm almost positive I saw scaffolding covering all of 109 Washington. Made me think it was coming down.

Stroika, to answer you question: Lower Manhattan is the most underserved neighborhood in terms of hotels in all of Manhattan. There are only a few major full-service hotels now (Millennium, Ritz-Carlton, Embassy Suites, Marriott Downtown) in close proximity to the WTC. This area could use several more new hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    PS Can the area hold this many hotels? With McSam's future eyesore, this makes it ... how many FiDi hotels? A lot, it seems. Is there a market for such a large number of beds to come online in the next 5 years?
    The reason why Hotels are sprouting is because the demand for office space is high, which in turn will attract tourists, which is expected to rise in the coming years. After 9/11 the only major hotel still present in Lower Manhattan was the Hilton Millenium.

Banned Member

I think a larger issue that has defined lower Manhattan as an ideal hotel location is the relative close proximity to all the subway lines. There's no dealing with eastside - westside issues for tourists.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast