Thread: Don't Ask Me

Default Don't Ask Me

After posting here for so long, you must be getting tired of people asking the same questions over and over again.

So, which questions do you find to be the most annoying?

Most questions are sincere. Answering them is an opportunity to be helpful. You can't expect all questions to be urbane and knowledgeable; if they were, there wouldn't be much reason to ask.

Unsophistication isn't a bother.

Who said it was?

However, "unsophistication" is too often an overly kind interpretation of laziness or inability to use the search function on these boards.

This question has been answered so many times: "I'm looking for a cheap hotel..."

Two questions I find irritating.

First, forgivable, is: "What areas of NYC are safe?"

I can understand the misinformation, and the fact that people are still getting it is what annoys me more than the question itself.

Second: "Do you know where I can get drunk? I am under 21" and all permutations thereof. (Anyone know fake ID, Anyone know bar that does not check, anyone know.......). The kids do not search for the older threads, and are clueless about how to ask AND they also do not realize it is really not worth the $$ to go get trashed underage in NYC.

The last is mostly an opinion, but still..

"Where can I find an apartment in Manhattan for x amount of dollars?"

Omega, the magic number always seems to be "under a thousand." Very often, this question will be answered in a manner the asker deems unacceptable. As such, the asker is generally quiet for a month or so, then makes a grand return by starting a new thread asking, "So...where can I get that Manhattan apartment for under $1,000?"

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    "Where can I find an apartment in Manhattan for x amount of dollars?"
    Scratch that^^^ The question should be: "Where can I find an apartment in Manhattan for under $1,000 in a safe area and have bars where someone under 21 can get drunk?"

"...and park my car."

Then there's the overly general, "what should I do when I come to NYC?"

A little more info, please.

"Can I survive in NYC if I only earn $150,000 a year?"

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    "...and park my car."
    Just reminds me...some of you will remember (at least through the late '80's) when you could park your car on any of the loops in Stuyvesant Town without having to move it for alternate side parking. I lived in the area at the time and kept my car on the street, so scoring one of those babies for any period of time was like winning the lottery.

There was a '54 DeSoto on the 14th Street Loop, in mint condition and never moved...

For me its why didn't they make it taller or why don't they add some more floors to a skyscraper, causing me to explain that the building reached its maximum FAR and can't legally be built larger.