Thread: WTC area.

Default WTC area.

While walking around the WTC area on 15th. June I took this photograph of a not particullarly interesting subject, except for the fact that some time ago, I had seen the second photograph on WNY. It was like having an horrific flashback.

That space ^^^ was used as the temporary morgue immediately after 9/11 ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    That space ^^^ was used as the temporary morgue immediately after 9/11 ...
    I did not know that, but had I done, I'm sure that the impact on me would have been even greater. I had seen the original photograph but had no idea of the exact location of Brooks Brothers. I came across it quite by accident and the original image just flashed before me.

how it done ?

From 9.18.01:

http://multichannelmerchant.com/news...spencer_delay/

September 16, 2001

http://www.metafilter.com/10420/

[scroll down about 2/3 of the ay on that ^^^ page]

Dear Friends,

As may of you already know Mike and I went to the WTC site about 6pm on Tuesday night after working at Mt. Sinai Hospital emergency room in Manhattan offloading patients.

... About midnight bodies and parts started coming in, so we converted Brooks Bros. dept. store into the morgue. The National Guard gave Mike and I several units men to order around and we cleaned the place out and set up the morgue. About 30 cops helped us as well. Come day light on Wednesday, I ran the morgue at Brooks Brothers while Michael went to set up and run the a field morgue at one of the holes where they started to get a large number of the bodies/pieces from. Mike then sent them on to me where we identified what we could and put them in body bags. At this time I will not share those details with you.

We got a lot done, good work. but finally our strength ran out. We turned the morgue over to a red cross doctor who has severed in 4 wars, desert storm, Macedonia, Kosovo, Ethiopia. So things are in good hands now, better hands. At that point on late Wednesday afternoon the NYC Med. examiner had not arrived yet.

You might be wondering why anyone let us just take charge of things. First, nobody seem to be in charge so we just decided to get things done. Lots of people just standing around waiting for direction. Second, we were both wearing scrubs from the hospital with our work slacks and ties underneath. So everybody assumed we were doctors. Third, what we told people to do made sense, so they did it.

To give you an idea of where we set up shop, Brooks Brothers is across the street from 1 World Trade. If you want to see what we saw, watch 11 NY news. Their camera man was hidden out with us in the store.

Friends, if you are the praying type, say a few extra. It is much worse than it looks on TV. Mike and I walked around the site to get the body bags at first. It was hell. I mean it, it is what hell must look like. A fireman or EMT's hell. Firetrucks where buried and burned out, ambulances burned out shells with their doors open from when they were helping people when the buildings fell. Cars are piled on top each other, just twisted metal. And many of the streets are piled 8 feet high with metal and concrete. Buildings are destroyed all around, very few windows for a quite a distance. Paper is everywhere. and over everything is 3 inches of concrete dust which turned to mud from all the water. Abandoned firetrucks sit in the street, all the hoses uncoiled and running along the street toward where TWC buildings were, the hoses run straight until they are lost under the debris. There were firemen at the end of those hoses.

Truly a nightmare. Words cannot capture what I have seen. I urge everyone to help in anyway they can, donate money or blood, the damage and loss of life is horrific.

I will try to go back to help, but I am not sure if I have the courage. I am shaken, I am changed. Words cannot describe.

If I have not told you lately, I care about you all a great deal. You mean some much to me.

Thank you for being a part of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed View Post
    how it done ?
    Flying lessons.

they must learn far city

What?

they shouldn't take flying lessons in city

Who shouldn't take flying lessons in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Flying lessons.
    sorry, I'm not professional in English