Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Proposed - World Product Centre - 1.2 million sf - Eleventh Ave @ West 34 St - by KPF

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

If anything it would've been a huge step toward expanding commercial midtown west instead of north, which makes so much more sense. The current inertial direction of commercial development in midtown is misguided.

24th and 27th st's are worlds away from this thing...
    I live in the area and would have been able to see this out my windows- such a shame it won't get built-
    anti and BL are right- for Manhattan (not an outer borough) the area is practically a blighted wasteland
    (with one or two very small exceptions). This was NOT a medical center or Hospital - but rather housing
    businesses that deal with the medical profession- big difference!
    This would have done the area a world of good.

When the thousand footer gets built just to the south this one will fit right in.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Extell’s One Hudson Yards is set to soar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extell_1HYB_Podium_052412-02010134--300x300.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	15466
    WESTWARD BOUND: A rendering
    of Extell's planned $1 billion tower
    at the Far West Side development
    site, with the new No. 7 subway
    entrance in front.

Steve Cuozzo
    REALTY CHECK

Last Updated: 1:02 AM, May 29, 2012
    Posted: 11:27 PM, May 28, 2012

Extell chief Gary Barnett is reviving a long-dormant, $ 1-billion Far West Side development project — and he’s brashly named it “One Hudson Yards” even though it’s technically not part of the rail yards site.

Extell just tapped Jones Lang LaSalle to find tenants for the 56-story, 1.7 million square office tower to rise on the east blockfront of 11th Avenue between W. 33rd and 34th streets. The project was first announced in 2009, when Barnett was to partner with Israel Green in what was then called the World Product Center. But plans for the arresting, Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed tower went on hold. Extell and Green parted ways and the site is today an empty lot.

Now, Barnett’s again itching to build. “We believe we have the best location in the area, on terra firma [rather than above a rail yard]. We’re right at the new No. 7 line subway station, at the foot of a new park and across from the Javits Convention Center,” he said.

Barnett won’t start construction without pre-leasing half the tower — “at the rents we’re going to charge, it would be suicidal,” he said. Asked what the rents might be, he said with a laugh, “Between $50 and $100 a square foot.”

Related Cos. is the designated developer of the Hudson Yards rail site bounded by 10th and 12th avenues and West 30th-33rd streets. Extell’s site is just north of it in what city officials call the “Hudson Yards area.”

Was Barnett worried the name might steam up Related chief Stephen M. Ross?

“I’m not interested in steaming up anybody, much less Steve Ross,” Barnett told us.

But Ross fumed, “I don’t know why he is trying to deceive tenants and the public.”

Barnett said he’s cooperated closely with the MTA on the new subway station and helped the agency assemble the site. He said station construction also put in place some of the foundation for his tower, which will reduce Extell’s cost and allow it to build swiftly.

“We have the ability to begin vertical construction by the end of the year,” he said, “and the ability for our tenants to do their buildouts in 2015.”

Finding tenants is a job for JLL’s Derek Trulson, Frank Doyle and Randy Abend — who will target high-profile users.

Extell owned the site for years. “Then, the No. 7 line idea came along,” Barnett chuckled. “Lo and behold, this was where the only train stop was going to be at Hudson Yards.” The station with an undulating entrance canopy by Toshiko Mori is to open in 2015.

Copyright 2012 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Random Personality

Not a big fan of the old design of this building, but what is news to me is that the station is going to open in 2015. I thought that the 7 line extension would open next year or early 2014.

The opening was pushed back (this is the MTA afterall). I heard that on the news a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    Not a big fan of the old design of this building, but what is news to me is that the station is going to open in 2015. I thought that the 7 line extension would open next year or early 2014.
    The April MTA report stated that project completion was still Fall 2013, then tests, and service start-up in June 2014.

You can usually get reliable updates at Second Ave Sagas.

I haven't heard any news about #7 project delays, but it was recently announced that East Side Access completion was pushed back to 2019, and cost another $920 million.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    I'm with you there. The WPC looked like a glass box stuffed into some bad macrame.

Given the 500k : sq ft floor area boost, how does this new proposal lose 4 floors? Could this end up being nearly as wide as one of the old WTC towers?
    Last edited by DUMBRo; May 31st, 2012 at 12:16 AM.

I wonder if Extell will use the same design.

It might be a box but the diagrid makes all the difference in the world. Look at Hearst vs. 250 W 55.

Zippy, you're right. The news I heard was about the ESA getting pushed back, not the 7 extension.

I'm losing brain cells.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678