Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 505 West 37th Street & 455 West 37th Street @ Tenth Avenue - by Handel Architects

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    ^ Taken from the Victory. We look forward to your periodic updates from that angle high above.

By the way, here's a NY Times photo from early 2007 of the site where 453 currently stands.

What an improvement!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

453 from Ninth...

The shared base of the 505 towers...

The balconies on the north side of the 43-story tower is starting to make an appearance...

Unfortunately, there'll be a large gap between this and the Poon-designed Best Western, leaving the ugly hotel still visible.

The south side and the base of the 34-story tower...

Unfortunately, there'll be a large gap between this and the Poon-designed Best Western, leaving the ugly hotel still visible.
    Maybe there will be a construction accident and that Poon thang will be damaged beyond repair

Default This one is really starting to shoot up

It's putting on nearly floor a day, it appears. Meanwhile, its neighbor across 10th ave has shed it's street level scaffolding. (Forgive my camera-phone quality pics.) Now, will anyone actually LIVE in these buildings?

Has anyone know what's going up at 506 and 512 W. 36th st (btw 10th & 11th)? I was shocked that there's now an empty lot where there was a building just a week ago. I can't for the life of me remember what the building that was there looked like. Must have been a non-descript building about the same height as its neighbors (6 stories).

There are larger-res photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5627540...7610772009946/
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default 506 & 512 w 36

Probably for the planned greenway that runs from 34th to 42nd, midblock bet. Tenth and Eleventh Aves. I have a feeling those razed buildings were nice.

Meanwhile, the ugly Poon-Best Western should be the one to get razed but because it's ugly, it will probably remain. That is how this city now works.
    Last edited by antinimby; December 5th, 2008 at 08:36 PM.

If the destroyed buildings are the ones that have the scaffolding around them in this Google Maps image, they do seem fairly nice.

10,000,000 times nicer than any pre-cast plastic Poon Best Western. That's for sure.

Although I don't trust government to make a good subjective judgement most of the time, would it really kill City Hall to have some sort of planning board that might even consider inserting some sense of aesthetics into the city's "development" (which I say instead of planning) decisions? The stuff that gets built is so unbelievably shitty, you have to wonder if it wouldn't hurt to bring back some government oversight...

This is why I don't remember what was there. It was just 2 ugly garages. Nothing to lament.

I don't think they're working on the greenway, it's too far east. Stroika identified the lot properly, and it's just the second lot from 10th. But the Greenway, at 37th is, according to the plan, farther west and cuts diagonally west, from what I can see. (And besides, they've done no work on the Greenway on 37th street, which would seem a higher priority as there will soon be actual RESIDENTS on that street (assuming anyone rents/buys the units in those 3 towers that will soon be on the market).

Unless they're planning on knocking down my 14 story office building, I don't see how they can connect. Hopefully it will be something with useful street level, I am so tired of only having Subway, Mickey Dees and 2 delis to choose between for lunch.

Default ooops.

Ooop, I think I have to correct myself, upon further digging it appears this lot is listed as part of the Hudson Yard's property acquisition list for the greenway. The lot is the pink square that kind of juts east below the 3 yellow squares. The sketches I'd seen made the greenway look like it veered west, but this map makes it look a little more meandering.

The buildings to the west of this lot will be sort of shame to lose. They are pre-war brick, with common, but nice architectural details.

That tells you alot: The very detailed Hudson Yards Development Sites map has completely erased the existence of the High Line.

The 34-story western portion of 505, as it appears from the Javits...

Heading a little east...

Now on Tenth...

Hey look, it's Clarknt67's office building!

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    The 34-story western portion of 505, as it appears from the Javits...

Thanks for the great photos.

Are the north and south sites in this photo the alleged Girasole site and the site where the Copacabana was?

yes- now being excavated for the #7 extension.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Thanks for the great photos.

Are the north and south sites in this photo the alleged Girasole site and the site where the Copacabana was?
    Yes and no. The north site is where the "concrete park" used to be and was supposed to be the convention center hotel.

The south site is where the Girasole will be:

Meanwhile the Copacabana site, where the World Product Centre is planned, is seen partially on the right hand side of the below photo, surrounded by a blue fence and next to FedEx:

[QUOTE=antinimby;265759]Yes and no. The north site is where the "concrete park" used to be and was supposed to be the convention center hotel.

The south site is where the Girasole will be:

Meanwhile the Copacabana site, where the World Product Centre is planned, is seen partially on the right hand side of the below photo, surrounded by a blue fence and next to FedEx....[QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

I had no idea that the concrete park was being razed since the Convention Center hotel is dead. Do you know what will rise there?

I am pleased that the crappy FedEx building will be razed soon to make way for the park.