Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Yankee Stadium Pics

There aren't many old pics of the interior of the stadium. These are from the 1950's movie FBI Story, part of which was filmed in Yankee Stadium.

As for the demolition, she is slowly coming down:{

Above 2 from jimn/flickr

Iconic DiMaggio Quote Crumbles as Major Section of Old Yankee Stadium is Demolished

A Walk In The Park
    Sunday April 11, 2010

Joltin Joe DiMaggio's iconic quote, "I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee," came crashing down yesterday afternoon as a major section of the old Yankee Stadium was demolished. The quote adorned the Yankee Stadium facade high above the main entryway. Dozens of people lined a recently inaugurated park facility located on top of the parking garage to watch the demolition. The "pull," which lasted five seconds, also brought down half of the dates painted on the facade depicting 26 Yankee World Series victories.

Joe Dimaggio's quote sits in a pile of rubble after the "pull" ...

Photo: NYC Park Advocates

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	405 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	9177  

I believe the woman with "the clown makeup" and "on the happy meds" is Eleanor Gehrig.

Thank you Radiohead for the great pictures. There are many of them that I haven't seen before.

Something Ive never been clear of is who led the charge in the denovation of the old YS, CBS or Steinbrener? The removal of the Frieze was a desecration, made worse by the fact that none of it was even preserved. The Frieze in the oufield from my understanding was a concrete replica.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    Something Ive never been clear of is who led the charge in the denovation of the old YS, CBS or Steinbrener? The removal of the Frieze was a desecration, made worse by the fact that none of it was even preserved. The Frieze in the oufield from my understanding was a concrete replica.
    Yes the one in the outfied was just a concrete replica. Alose the bat atop the flag pole in the outfield was not Lou Gehrigs; it was a rumor that gained legs.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    it was john lindsay, mike burke and to a lesser extent cbs.
    the frieze had to be removed, to dismantle it in a way to "preserve" and later rehang it would have taken too long to meet the 4/76 opening deadline - not to mention the co$t.
    the copper was too fragile for this process and was melted down, concrete replica was more robust and more accurate to the original than what's in the new place.

don't respond with the "oh, your a mets fan" stuff, my parents worked in the front office and married while working there. i attended at least 30+ games there as well as the last one in '73 and the first in '76.

oys was considered old and unsafe in an era that worshiped new/modern, the "denovation" kept the franchise at that spot a lot longer than if nothing had been done. a mediocre product on the field magnifies these perceptions as stein-grabber learned in the 80's and early 90's.
    Last edited by mr met; March 4th, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123