Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Yankee Stadium Pics

Default Old Yankee Stadium Pics

With Yankee Stadium ready to close in just over 13 months, I thought I'd start a thread of old pictures of the great old Bronx ballpark. I've got MANY pics of the old stadium on my hard drive, which I'll be posting over the next weeks and months. If anyone else has any, feel free to post as well. Kudo's to the Baseball-Fever website, as well as others, which led me to finding many of these hard to find photos.

BTW, I'll also be starting a Shea Stadium thread with old pics of Shea.

Well, I'll start with just a couple....

Late 1960's

Last edited by Radiohead; August 14th, 2007 at 12:53 AM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Question

Is that Co-op City in the background of photo #2?

That is not Co-Op City. Wrong direction.

You can really notice how close the upper decks were in those photos prior to the 19070's remodeling when the field was lowered 10 feet. I am fascinated by pictures showing the remodeling, as I am most interested in parts of the Stadium that are original, which 2/3rds are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yankee Stadium Renovation photo.jpg 
Views:	4245 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	4674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yankee Stadium 1974.jpg 
Views:	4909 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	4675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yankee Stadium demolition.jpg 
Views:	4560 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	4676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yankee Stadium renovation from subway.jpg 
Views:	3726 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	4677  

Phil Rizzuto RIP

Ruth Hits Double in 1928 WS

Early 1923

1946 Joe Louis -Conn fight

Poster from same fight

After 1937 WS game. Notice how fans could walk on the field. Imagine that today.

1950's

1934 view of scoreboard keeper
    Last edited by Radiohead; August 15th, 2007 at 12:16 AM.

Radiohead great pictures. As a die hard Yankee fan it's great to see this. I also have same sentiments about the passing of Yankee legend Phil Rizzuto he will be missed. He actually lived, up uintil moving into the home for the elderly, lived right around the corner from my cusion in Hillside, NJ just outside of Newark with is wife Cora.

1960's

1927 (last season before the grandstand was extended around past the foul poles)

Click link for very large photo:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1284/...a3d43343_o.jpg
    Last edited by Radiohead; August 16th, 2007 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post
    That is not Co-Op City. Wrong direction.

You can really notice how close the upper decks were in those photos prior to the 19070's remodeling when the field was lowered 10 feet. I am fascinated by pictures showing the remodeling, as I am most interested in parts of the Stadium that are original, which 2/3rds are.
    I love that photo of Joltin' Joe, so forlorn as the changes were being made to the old stadium. But then again, he often looked forlorn in pictures I've seen, regardless of setting.

Those heavy overhangs that partially survived in the renovated stadium, are copied all over the place outside New York. The Chicago White Sox have a version of them, all black and more stylized. I've seen an aluminium version in Japan, and in Holland, a temporary version made out of cardboard.

Default Yankee overhang ornamentation

Actually, all of the original white overhang that hung over the upper deck was discarded. It was made I believe (but correct me please if anyone knows better) of copper which was painted white. It is commonly misreported that some was saved and reused along the outfield scoreboard wall installed behind the bleachers. This is not true. What is there now is a cheaper imitation of the original made out of either concrete or some type of plaster.

That's right. The original frieze is gone.

I don't think it was ever painted though, and if it was, not white.

Mickey Mantle was the only one to hit the frieze with a fair ball - twice.

No one knows how far it would have gone if it cleared the roof, but the second one may have been the longest home run ever hit.

Again Radiohead great photos. The frieze actually wasn't copper at all. The copper story had become some what of an urban legend.

The salvage operators thought it would have been, so they naturally were excited. When they brought it down though, it turned out not be copper, but turned metal. LOL. Needless to say they were a little miffed.

I believe the frieze had a greenish hue to it from it's inception (and not from age and neglect, which I originally thought). It was painted white in the mid 1960's after CBS bought the club. Unfortunately, the team itself was allowed to get run into the ground.

The first several pics are of Babe Ruth alive and deceased.

1932 Babe with kids

1920's Babe at bat

]
    1948 Babe's coffin carried to stadium

Line to pay respects

Procession past the coffin

1974 Dimaggio threatens construction crew with a bat

1961 Mantle and Whitey Ford(#16)

Late 1920's

1950's

1950's

Those were some COLL bleachers....

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post

1950's

1950's

Home movies from 1920s / 1930s: Yankee Stadium & the Polo Grounds ...

2 early football (Yankee Stadium, Army-Navy Polo Grounds)

And a tangential story (the internal links have some great info) ...

A Stairway to Sports History
    From the Polo Grounds

CITY ROOM / NY TIMES
    By Timothy Williams
    February 19, 2008

(Photo: Geoffrey Croft/New York City Park Advocates)
    Steps that lead nowhere today once offered a clear, yet distant,
    view of games at the Polo Grounds.

With the winter baseball news dominated by tales of steroids and human growth hormone drugs, hearings and investigations, and apologies and denials, a look back at a more innocent time in baseball may be in order this week, when position players are joining pitchers and catchers at training camp in Florida and Arizona.

The Polo Grounds, the northern Manhattan home of the New York Giants baseball team, has long been the site of a rather imposing public housing complex called the Polo Grounds Towers — four 30-story skyscrapers with 1,616 units.

Few clues remain about the glorious things that happened when the Polo Grounds was a sports stadium in Washington Heights — Willie Mays, the birth of the Mets, the New York Cubans, the New York football Giants, and Floyd Patterson vs. Ingemar Johansson, among them.

But one relic remains, not as the result of historic preservation, but by accident.

That relic is a staircase built down Coogan’s Bluff, the hill that overlooked the stadium, which is roughly where Edgecombe Avenue runs today. The staircase once led to a ticket booth, and was built by the owner of the Giants at the time.

Coogan’s Bluff had long been a sort of Tightwad Hill for local fans, a place where those unwilling or unable to pay the stadium’s entrance fee had a clear, if distant, view of the proceedings at no charge.

If nothing else, the Giants may have hoped a new stairway would prompt a few fans to buy tickets.

Today, the stairway leads nowhere, except for an overgrown stretch of Highbridge Park. Many, if not most, of its steps are missing; its guard rails rusting and falling apart; and some sections have disappeared into the underbrush, making an attempt to walk down them highly inadvisable.

But at a landing partway down is an inscription; like the staircase, it has been slowly disintegrating over the decades. Its letters are still clear despite rain, snow and heat, and it reads: “The John T. Brush Stairway Presented by the New York Giants.”

A New York Times article from July 9, 1913, retrieved by the Parks Department, says that on that day the baseball club would be formally presenting the “John T. Brush Stairway” to the city. The Giants’ team president, H. N. Hempstead, was to present the gift to the city parks commissioner, Charles B. Stover, to honor Mr. Brush, the Giants owner who had died in 1912.

But city officials say the long-forgotten inscription and staircase, which might be the last vestiges of the old ballpark, could be in for a reprieve.

As part of the Bloomberg administration’s PlaNYC2030 program, Highbridge Park is set for an overhaul, including the historic, and long-closed High Bridge — as well as the staircase.

The cost of repairing the staircase is about $1.2 million, according to city officials. So far, the city has only $400,000 to pay for it — all of it from the office of the Manhattan borough president, Scott M. Stringer.

Mr. Stringer, 47, who grew up in Washington Heights, near the stadium, said he never saw a game there. Indeed, Mr. Stringer said when someone mentions the Polo Grounds to him, his mind does not turn to images of Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron or Sugar Ray Robinson.

“When I think of the Polo Grounds, I think of the housing development and the people who live there,” he said.

As for the staircase, Mr. Stringer said he had no idea it existed until the Parks Department asked him to help finance its restoration. “It was sort of left to us,” he said. “But we’ll make sure the inscription is restored.”

(For the record, Mr. Stringer said he follows both the Mets and Yankees, but at heart, is a Jets fan.)

Adrian Benepe, the commissioner of the Department of Parks and Recreation, said the park “has undergone a significant rebirth in the last 10 years with more than $10 million worth of improvements completed or in progress” and that an additional $75 million in projects were already underway or planned. “Even with all that, there’s still more work we need to do on this historic park, including finding some additional funding for the Brush Stairway renovation,” he said.

(Photo: Geoffrey Croft/New York City Park Advocates)
    A plaque at the bottom of the staircase honoring the New York Giants’ baseball
    team owner, John T. Brush, was dedicated in July 1913, the year after his death.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast