Thread: room dividers

Default room dividers

So I'm moving to NYC next week and we want to divide off the living room into another bedroom and we're trying to find a good way to do it. My roommate and I decided not to do the pressurized wall at this point because our broker told us that we could probably do something like a sliding glass door cheaper, but I'm trying to figure out where to get them at a decent price. I know that there has to be other people in NYC that have divided off rooms using things other than a pressurized wall, so ANY and ALL suggestions would GREATLY appreciated!!!! We want something that would provide the person with that room some privacy, so just curtaining it off is probably not enough because it would be really loud in that room then! I would love any help or suggestions that could be provided!!!

Thanks,
    NYU_girl

Arrow Room Dividers

Recently I visited an apartment where one large room was divided into two smaller seperate bedrooms: the wall between seemed to me just as solid as a standard sheetrock wall.

The partition was made with standard metal studs: but cladded with thick "foamcore" instead of gypsum boards. The wall - because it used metal studs - was strong enough to attach brackets/shelves.

It was not painted but still looked "architectural". Also, the fact that it will be easy to disassemble is a big plus; because wall will probably have to be removed when the tenant moves.

The door between the two small bedrooms was a prefabricated "hollow core" door with a standard knob.

I hope that will work for you in you new dorm: best place to get the foam core is at Pearl Art Supplies on Canal Street. Good Luck.

Cheers

do you have any idea how much something like that would cost

NYU_girl

I used to break up space in a room with Shoji Screens. It achieved privacy in a visual sense but didn't do anything about noise (sorry). Even so, here's what can be done with them:

http://www.nycremodeler.com/shoji.html

Hey, it works for the Japanese!

Forum Veteran

Check this place out I see them around the city.....

http://www.roomdividersny.com/

Post Pressurized Walls

Quote Originally Posted by GreenwichBoy View Post
    Check this place out I see them around the city.....

http://www.roomdividersny.com/
    "My roommate and I decided not to do the pressurized wall....... "
    This company does Pressurized Walls: NYUgirl is looking for some other option. But, nice link - I am sure there are pleanty of other people who could use that information.
    Last edited by infoshare; August 22nd, 2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typos

The huge Chinese department store on Broadway near Canal (I forget the name - can someone help out?) sells tons of room dividers - I'm not sure how well they will keep out the noise, though. They have a website, if someone else knows the name of the store to which I'm referring. If you want a "real" wall that will keep out noise, your best bet is probably to hire someone to do it.

BTW, does anyone know how much a place like roomdividersnyc charges for an average sized wall?

PEARL RIVER ^^^

On Broadway above Canal -- near Grand / Broome

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

For pressurized walls, I would also get an estimate from the New York Wall Company, www.thewallpeople.com

You don't buy them, you rent them, so there's a deposit fee plus a monthly, and the monthly varies depending on height, doors, etc.

The companies generally make pricing building specific, so when you call to ask, tell them what building you're in. My off-the-top of the head guess would be $250 a month, but I'm really just pulling that out of the air.

For room dividers, I'd go straight to craigslist, www.craigslist.com, there are tons available.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Quote Originally Posted by Front_Porch View Post
    For pressurized walls, I would also get an estimate from the New York Wall Company, www.thewallpeople.com

You don't buy them, you rent them, so there's a deposit fee plus a monthly, and the monthly varies depending on height, doors, etc.

The companies generally make pricing building specific, so when you call to ask, tell them what building you're in. My off-the-top of the head guess would be $250 a month, but I'm really just pulling that out of the air.

For room dividers, I'd go straight to craigslist, www.craigslist.com, there are tons available.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

NY Wall Company put a wall up for me and did a flat one time cost w/ a $100 deposit. It costed 1400 for 2 Walls and 2 doors w/ a 9ft ceiling.