Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooper Square Hotel - 25 Cooper Square - East Village - by Studio Carlos Zapata

"How out of context!"

For me the building out of context is the dorm to the right. It's thoughtless and cheap. Those old tenements followed classic formulas of composition, proportion. They had beautiful ornamentation. This new hotel is an update on that. The ornamentation here is the wonderful shading on the glass, the unusual but attract form. And the whole thing looks beautifully put together.

While I agree with you about the building to the right ^^^ it's not a dorm but an assisted living facility that went up in the 80s when this stretch was total limbo between the East & West Village. Being situated on a full blockfront on a bend of The Bowery it's particularly noticeable and all the more unfortunate.

It's a horrid, dull structure with none of the spare simplicity of utilitarian buildings (i.e. "projects") that went up in the NYC in the 30s, 40s, 50s. Those older structures knew that they were for real human beings -- and you can see it when you look at them, no matter how little adornment they had / have. This pile, on the other hand, looks like a temporary storage facility. Which says a lot about us as a society.

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

Maybe this is the glass BoA should have used? Alas.

I read that the developers of this great project acquired the rest of the site and might raze the beautiful little building on the north side which dates from the 1820's and is partially visible on the right side of this photo.

That would ruin this otherwise great project. I hope that they don't pull a Macklowe/Solow.

I have never heard what you say about the building to the north.

Where did you read it?

I did some digging to address this ^^^

According to NYC Department of Finance documents the Cooper Square Hotel has air / development rights covering lots 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 on this Block (#461). Those lots correspond to 25 - 33 Cooper Square, with 33 being the northern-most part of the building site. 33 (lot #5) is the angular lower-rise section of the hotel abutting the Federal era building. One of the DOF docs ("Zoning Lot Description") states that it conveys ...
    "to Cooper Square Hotel LLC, among other things, perpetual easement for light and air and unobstructed view over 33 Cooper Square LLC's 33 Building Envelope ..."
    Attached below is a map from DOF docs for the Hotel site (25 - 33 Cooper Square): 25 - 33 CS Sewer Line Map

The 3-story Fed era building is 35 Cooper Square. According to a recently filed deed (9.21.07) at NYC DOF that lot (#6) along with the two vacant lots which run north along The Bowery to the corner of E 6th Street (37 - 39 Cooper Square, aka lots #7 & #8) have just been bought by "North Corner LLC" (listed amount for the three lots: $7.7 M). DOB shows no applications / filings for any new constrcution on this site.

35 Cooper Square (the paint-splattered wall of which can be seen in BrooklynRider's photo HERE) was the site of some controversy a couple of years back:

Something There Was That Did Not Love This Wall

NY TIMES
    By MICHAEL MALONE
    October 10, 2004

COOPER SQUARE

Nicole Bengiveno/The New York Times
    The 9/11 memorial mural
    was painted over, and
    the protests began.

Bad restaurant reviews, calls for a boycott, and possibly even paint smears have become weapons in a protest against the demise of a 9/11 memorial mural on the wall of a building owned by Cooper Union.

The mural, which was installed nearly three years ago, depicted the Manhattan skyline and the twin towers filled with flowers, and the college had originally agreed to keep it up for at least a year. Over the summer, Cooper Union began offering the wall for rent through a broker. A few weeks ago the entire wall was painted over in beige to make way for advertising.

The dispute represents one more recent clash between the neighborhood and the college. In the last few years, Cooper Union has embarked on an expansion that includes, for example, a $105 million building on Third Avenue and Seventh Street for which plans were unveiled in mid-September.

The protesters are pursuing a variety of tactics. Several have contacted Cooper Union, while others have turned their attention to Dolphins, a restaurant inside 35 Cooper Square, the building that had featured the mural. The restaurant will share the estimated advertising revenue of $5,000 to $10,000 a month with the college. Some protesters have posted fliers calling for a boycott of the restaurant, while others plan to post negative comments on restaurant review Web sites.

Vandalism also appears to be part of the arsenal of tactics. An initial paint splatter on the wall was quickly painted over, but two new smears, perhaps from a paintball gun or paint-filled balloon, promptly took its place.

George Campbell Jr., president of Cooper Union, which last year had an operating loss of nearly $7 million, chastised the nonprofit group CityArts, which originally commissioned the mural and had met with the school in an effort to preserve the mural. "We negotiated in good faith with CityArts, and committed to one year," he said. "We'd made it very clear that there was no intention of making the mural a permanent installation."

Tsipi Ben-Haim, executive director of CityArts, responded: "How dare Cooper Union say that we're behind the campaign. On the contrary, we're trying very hard to encourage the community to work with them, to understand it's not our wall.''

"We have absolutely nothing to do with any protests, boycotts, or vandalism," she added.

Whoever is to blame, some people are clearly dismayed by the loss of the mural. Beth Sopko, a Cooper Union graduate, said she found it ironic that a school known for the arts would scrap a beloved artwork. "It's really bad P.R. for the school," she said. "The emotional value the mural had for so many of us will just not be matched by an ad for vodka or Dockers."

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOF_25 31 CS_Sewer Map_01b.JPG 
Views:	412 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	5044  

"Forever Tall" as it appeared on the north wall of 35 Cooper Square:

Another twin towers fall as Cooper covers a mural

Villager photo by David Barkin
    Gina Tlamsa played flute in front of the “Forever Tall”
    mural on E. Sixth St. before a vigil last Saturday night
    to save the public artwork.

The Villager
    By Lincoln Anderson
    September 2004

On the third anniversary of 9/11, a group of 30 East Villagers respectfully gathered for a candlelight vigil in front of a memorial of a mural of the twin towers at the corner of Sixth St. and Third Ave. As much as a remembrance of the World Trade Center attack, the event was also a call for preservation of the mural, “Forever Tall,” a public artwork created in the weeks after the tragedy.

The mural was painted with a starlit Manhattan skyline with the W.T.C. towers filled with yellow and orange flowers. It was created by CITYarts in collaboration with artists Hope Gangloff and Jason Search, the Manhattan School for Career Development, the Dwight School and The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art. The mural was only intended to stay up for a year, but neighbors immediately took to it, saying it lifted their spirits after the attack. After all, the Trade Center had been visible from that corner.

However, Cooper Union, the building’s owner, had recently made it clear that the mural would come down to be replaced by revenue-generating advertising. Several weeks ago, a corner of the mural had been painted over with a sign saying “Wall for Rent” with a phone number. Still, on the anniversary of the terrorist attack, neighbors and fans of the East Village mural were holding out hope it could be saved.

“When they put this up and filled the towers with flowers, it just lifted everybody up,” said Nancy Eder, a block resident. “I like the fact that I get to walk by this two or three times a day.”

“It was planned before 9/11, as a tribute to the skyline,” said Andrew Berman, director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation. After the Trade Center disaster, Berman said, the mural “was a rebirth for our community. Hopefully, as word gets out, people will realize there is an undeniable need to keep this as a tribute. Let’s hope Cooper Union is listening tonight.”

At the same time, residents decried the school’s development plans in the area, including a new academic building, a new apartment tower under construction by Related Companies on Astor Pl. and a planned third building by a private developer that will eventually rise on the current site of the school’s Engineering Building.

“This is the ugly face of greed and gentrification that’s showing here,” said Susi Schropp. “There’s no value for what the community stands for.”

However, whether or not Cooper Union was listening, two days later on Monday, the entire mural was painted over.

“It’s heartbreaking,” said Anna Sawaryn, head of the Coalition to Save the East Village. “That they would just take something that means so much to this community and just destroy it like that. This is something that’s on the agenda of the community board — so I guess they don’t care about the community board. It’s just so shocking — they’re an art school.”

Claire McCarthy, Cooper Union’s spokesperson, said support to save the mural had not been overwhelming, that it was never intended as permanent and that the school needs the revenue.

“We got some e-mails, between 15 and 20, and I understand some people were handing out flyers — but they were unsigned,” she said. “We had decided it was time to move on. The mural was only supposed to be up for a year and it was up for almost three. We were happy to have it there and to contribute the space.”

McCarthy said the agent who rents the building had painted the “Wall for Rent” sign on the mural without Cooper Union’s permission.

“If the agent had not painted on it, we might have left it up until we got a renter [for the wall],” she said. “We couldn’t leave it ruined. It was just unfortunate. It just looked awful. We were dismayed that this was defaced — and we felt we couldn’t leave it up that way.”

Repairing the mural, she said, would have just been “misleading,” since in the end it would have been painted over anyway.

McCarthy noted there will be an official 9/11 memorial at ground zero.

Advertising on the wall is an option the tenant of the building, Dolphins restaurant, has in its lease, she added. Dolphins will get a portion of the revenue.

Estimates of the revenue are $5,000 to $10,000 a month, according to McCarthy. However, George Campbell Jr., president of Cooper Union, in a recent interview on New York 1 news, said the wall would annually bring in $300,000, money the free-tuition school sorely needs.

McCarthy said Campbell would never have cited such a high figure, though admitted she had not seen the New York 1 segment. In addition to keeping its commitment to provide free $27,000 tuitions to all its students, Cooper Union needs to raise funds for a new $100 million academic building on the site of its current Hewitt Building, on Third Ave. between Sixth and Seventh Sts., across from the street from the site of the former mural, she noted.

At Saturday’s vigil, Lisa Ramaci, a former member of Community Board 3, bemoaned the loss of 9/11 memorial murals in the East Village, in general, specifically mentioning two by famed graffiti artist Chico on either side of Avenue A just south of 14th St.

“I just can’t believe that in a city this size there can’t be remembrance,” she said. “I used to go to the Chico mural every year and put flowers and candles there. There was a woman from Stuyvesant Town who lost her son and she would put a photo of him and flowers there.”

One of Chico’s murals is all but obscured by a flower stand. The other has been totally covered by a billboard for small advertising posters.

“The last time I looked, it was ads for Crobar and iPods,” Ramaci said. “I don’t want to have to go to Staten Island to visit a 9/1l mural.”

The Villager is published by Community Media LLC.

Hubert J Steed / June 12, 2004

Oh wow...I opened up this thread and saw those photos and... By Golly...we have a home run here That tower is beautiful. Now that's how you do shaded glass. And such an elegant, classy form!!
    Now, a funky little cafe with outdoor seating at the base would be the nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    I have never heard what you say about the building to the north.

Where did you read it?
    I think I read it on curbed.com. If not there, then it was on therealdeal.com.

I don't like this tower because, in my opinion, it doesn't fit in the east village. Maybe this is a sign of the village to come? Or maybe it's just the "Astor Place Area." I lump this project in with the same building across from the cube, both look out of place. I'm sure in a few years though the whole area could look like this.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I think all these "fitting in" claims are thrown around way too much these days, particularly in this city, without much thought behind them.

If something is nice, even if it doesn't necessarily fit in at first, I believe it will still bring a positive impact to the surrounding.

Remember that over time, as people get accustomed to the new structure, it will eventually become a part of that streetscape.

A good example of this was the former WTC. Remember how out of scale they were when they first appeared on the skyline? Over thirty years later as the WFC and other new buildings grew around them, when they did disappeared from the skyline, look how weird it was initially to see Lower Manhattan without them.

Likewise, even if something fits in, both in terms of scale or material, but is awful architecturally, does that necessarily really make the surrounding better?

Banned Member

I agree. The form and facade of this building couldn't be appreciated in areas where it "fit in." Additionally, the new Cooper Union campus to the North will make this area a mish-mash of 19th century and 21st century architecture.

Beautiful building. Better than Gwathmey's glass tower of similar dimensions and proportions, and better than Rivington Hotel. Could this be a trend for the area? If so, I'm for it.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast