Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooper Square Hotel - 25 Cooper Square - East Village - by Studio Carlos Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I read that the developers of this great project acquired the rest of the site and might raze the beautiful little building on the north side which dates from the 1820's and is partially visible on the right side of this photo.

That would ruin this otherwise great project. I hope that they don't pull a Macklowe/Solow.

How can it be north and to the right of the photo which, as far as i am aware, goes north(left) to south (right)

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Beautiful building. Better than Gwathmey's glass tower of similar dimensions and proportions, and better than Rivington Hotel. Could this be a trend for the area? If so, I'm for it.
    i agree this tower is great but astor place disgusts me in so many reflective ways.
    Last edited by Alonzo-ny; October 27th, 2007 at 04:23 PM.

This building is a 10 out of 10. One of the best in the city. The only potential problem I can see with this building is an inadvertent one, it will further rejuvenate the area, encouraging greedy developers to do what they do, put up boring luxury buildings that will suck the life out of the neighborhood. Only if all developers could build with the foresight and vision as this one.

In the photo the red building to the SOUTH and right of the Hotel tower is already part of this project -- a tenant there who had residency rights struck a deal with the developer and they are building around, over and through that old brick building.

The old Fed-era building to the NORTH and left is a separate property and butts upagainst the hotel. It is part of a parcel which includes the two vacant lots on the corner of The Bowery / E. 6th Street.

Looks like the CS Hotel might be going afte the three lots to the north -- including the Fed-era building next door with the dormer windows ...

Dubai on the Bowery

Belly up to the bars

NY Magazine
    By Dan Levin
    October 29, 2007

As the Cooper Square Hotel on the Bowery gets its coating of glass, and as its backers spend $11 million to buy three adjacent lots, its East 5th Street neighbors are afraid it’s taking over the block. The hotel will have three indoor bars, a garden, a dining patio, and—what most troubles residents—a terrace off its second floor that will end about 30 inches from apartment windows. “Someone can just reach over and climb in to someone’s bedroom window,” says Stuart Zamsky of the block association. Community Board 3 is under pressure to withhold a liquor-license endorsement until the swanky hotel reaches an agreement with its neighbors. “The block association gave us a list of their concerns,” says developer Matthew Moss of the Peck Moss Group. “We agreed right off the bat to half of them or so, but some of the things they were asking for were a little difficult for us to agree to,” and those are items that are still being discussed, with a November 17 deadline looming. One catch: Moss has agreed to install soundproof windows and air conditioners in nearby apartments, so residents won’t be kept up by revelers, but tenants say landlord Martin Baumrind won’t allow the installations to proceed. Why not? “I never speak to the press because they never say anything nice about landlords,” Baumrind says.

Copyright © 2007, New York Magazine Holdings LLC

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    “I never speak to the press because they never say anything nice about landlords,” Baumrind says.
    Sounds like a pretty good way to ensure that your side of the story is not told.

Banned Member

But, he said that to the press, thereby making his statement a lie.

This baby looks fantastic

Nice pics, Zip

Doesn't look real. Looks like a lucite model.

Just beautiful.

Also I love the way it's jammed between those little old brick buildings. Hope they survive.

The complete antithesis of the mcsam. A shame this type is outnumbered 50-1 basically.

The shading on the glass does wonderful things.

The crane in the background #4 is for the new Cooper Union building.

Oh my...it's just so beautiful...what can I say except
    B_R_A_V_O!!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Sadly, the top seem to have gotten truncated. If I remember correctly, there was suppose to be somewhat of a pointy top.

In the second from the last pic, you can see the top isn't finished.

Don't know if that means a pointy top is coming, but there's definitely work to be done.
    Last edited by stache; November 13th, 2007 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Removed quote from directly preceding post .

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast