Thread: Moving to the Bronx Tuesday - Would love info on Belmont and areas surrounding!

Smile Moving to the Bronx Tuesday - Would love info on Belmont and areas surrounding!

Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum because so many of my questions were answered just browsing the threads.

As a little background, I'm from Texas, but I've lived in the Midwest for the past couple of years. I'm a medical student who will be starting third year medical rotations in New York and although I have family in Queens and Jersey and have visited many times I know nothing of the Bronx. I have already signed a lease trusting in a friend who's made the arrangements for me in what looks like the area of Belmont...I'm not too familiar with the area but apparently it's on Crescent Avenue by 3 Ave and 184th St.

Anyway, if anyone could share their experience, insight and any background information on this area (and information on ANY area in the Bronx that a new gal should know about), that would be very much appreciated. Just a few questions off the top of my head are:

1. How is the safety regarded in these areas? (yes, probably the most common question burning in every newbie's mind...obviously mine as well)
    2. What is the population constituency?
    3. Where do you recommend getting groceries?
    4. Any furniture shops (on a student budget) that anyone can recommend?
    5. Would it be safe to walk at night? (since I might want to go running or walk to the hospital)
    6. How safe is the Bronx zoo and parks surrounding?
    7. Good restaurants?
    8. I'm interested in a gym membership. Would there be any nearby and if not, where do most people work out?
    9. What is the overall atmosphere of the area?

If anyone could offer any advice at all, you don't realize how grateful I'd be for that. I've searched as much as I can on the web, but a lot of the information is for visitors/tourists and I would love to hear a NY resident's point of view.

Thanks so much!

Oh, and another question...how long does it take to get to Manhattan...say Times Square using the subway?

What are the closest subways stations? Are the buses safe to ride on at night? Are taxis readily available?

I'm sorry if I sound like a clueless outsider, but I am. I'm from Texas where if you don't have a car, you can't get anywhere. I won't have a car in NY and it'll be my first "real" time using the bus and subway system.