Thread: 911 Tribute lights from Manhattan Bridge?

Default 911 Tribute lights from Manhattan Bridge?

I know that many people walk on the Brooklyn Bridge to view/photograph the 911 tribute lights and the skyline, however, I feel the view would be better on the Manhattan Bridge... I'm thinking of going there tonight. I also feel that because there will be more people, it's safer to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge at night... can someone tell me if people like to walk on the Manhattan Bridge to view the lights on this night so it'd feel safer? Thanks!
    Last edited by bellaga; September 11th, 2007 at 05:10 PM.

Banned Member

Both bridges are safe. Three reasons people prefer the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan:

(1) Manhattan Bridge footpaths run parallel to the subway tracks - making it a very, VERY noisy bridge to walk on.
    (2) Manhattan Bridge footpaths do not give you a 360 degree view. You go to the south path to look south and the north path to look north.
    (3) Mahattan Bridge has eight foot high fencing to prevent pedestrians from throwing debris onto passing boats. Therefore, views aren't open as they are on the Brooklyn Bridge.

It has been written many times that Manhattan Bridge is very poorly designed. The subway tracks should have run down the middle of the span. One of the reasons the bridge required the erxtensive renovation was to account for the degradation of the span from having the subways run along the outside of the towers.

Also, the footpath should have been set above the upper roadway, similar to the Brooklyn Bridge.

The Manhattan, Williamsburg, and Queensboro Bridges are all rather hostile to pedestrians in this way.

That said, you can still get great shots of downtown and the Tribute in Light, but you have to stick your camera lens through the fence.

Queensboro for pedestrians......

/me laughs.

Banned Member

I've walked over the Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queensboro, and George Washington Bridges. Of those the Brooklyn Bridge is by far the best walk. However, I highly recommend a walk to the center span of the GWB. The height is rather dizzying and the view gorgeous.