Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The InterContinental New York Times Square - 8th Avenue and 44th Street - by Gensler

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I don't fully agree. Some great projects have been built in recent years (e.g., B of A, Heast, TW Center, Bear Stearns, 15 CPW). Some great ones are planned (e.g., MoMA, WTC, etc.)

We just need to get rid of schmucks like Macklowe, Solow, Gershon Barnett, Tishman and Chang.

Tishman is really not a developer, they just do a few hotels from time to time. they are however the best builder in all of NY, hands down!

Personally, I think that the Westin is fine, but the new hotel on 8th will be a lame box. What a pity.

To avoid confusion (as was exhibited in yesterday's CURBED post regarding the 22-story Tishman hotel plan), there are two different Tishman entities:

This development is NOT Tishman Speyer.

This one is Tishman father and son, aka Tishman Realty.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    We just need to get rid of schmucks like Macklowe, Solow, Gershon Barnett, Tishman and Chang.
    With the exception of Chang, what have those developers built in recent years that qualifies as garbage?

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    Tishman is really not a developer, they just do a few hotels from time to time. they are however the best builder in all of NY, hands down!
    This is somewhat off-topic, but...I heard a while ago that Tishman might be getting acquired by Citigroup. Any truth to this, kliq?

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    With the exception of Chang, what have those developers built in recent years that qualifies as garbage?
    510 Madison (Macklowe), the proposed box for the Drake site (which, fortunately, is on hold) (Macklowe), the cheap box at 55th and 8th (Zuckerman), the cheap, boxy Diamond Tower (Gershon Barnett), the Con Ed garbage (Solow). Also, cheapo Solow hopes to raze a magnificent, neoclassical building just west of the Crown Building.

The Dude Abides

First of all, Solow builds very few buildings, and when he does, they are very high quality. You can't possibly blame him for the boondoggle that is the ConEd site and the neighborhood's proposed height limits.

Macklowe and Boston Properties have put up hardly any new buildings in the past ten years. They're much better known as landlords, not developers. Although yes, the Drake's demolition was a tragedy.

With the exception of Chang and Extell, none of these developers puts up very many buildings in the first place. When they do, they're usually OK.

Extell consistently puts up above-average residential buildings, and we know they have ties with several well-regarded architects.

The height restrictions on the Con Ed property don't mandate cheap, boxy designs. Most of the great new buildings in London (e.g., Swiss Re, Leadenhall St., Willis, the new Jumereh Hotel, etc.) are between 400 and 700 feet tall, and yet, their designs are magnificent. Solow is just cheap, like Macklowe, Zuckerman, etc.

I don't think the renderings that have been released are designs of the towers. I expect something just as blah though.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    This is somewhat off-topic, but...I heard a while ago that Tishman might be getting acquired by Citigroup. Any truth to this, kliq?
    Which one? I doubt citi with its troubles would want to buy a construction management firm like Tishman Realty or ahave any interst in becoming a landlord like Tishman Spyer

Banned Member

The Tishman hotel site has now been expanded to a 600 room hotel. Look for something more upscale than their Westin at 43rd Street.

Have you seen renderings? I saw a rendering of a lame, green glass box.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    Which one? I doubt citi with its troubles would want to buy a construction management firm like Tishman Realty or ahave any interst in becoming a landlord like Tishman Spyer
    Tishman Speyer, as an addition to their Alternative Investments group. But I heard this a few months ago, so it may no longer be in play.

Default Law Issues

Are they going to start blasting for the support beams anytime soon at this site? I live in the area, and I've heard rumors that they are having legal trouble.

If anyone knows and could tell me, I would be able to inform a lot of people in my area who are very interested.

You might get better info if you call your city council member's office and make some noise. Or call your community board and start asking around.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast