Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The InterContinental New York Times Square - 8th Avenue and 44th Street - by Gensler

Exclamation Hmm

That's not a bad idea, however, just one day later they...started digging. Although I suspect that their legal woes are not over just yet.

Banned Member

Making statements about "legal woes" is a serious accusation. What do have to support this allegation?

Tishman is a pretty solid company and has extensive experience in Hotel development and construction. In addition, it has completed numerous projects within a five block radius of this site and they are probably the premier company to managed excavations and foundations over existing subway lines.

Additionally, the Hotel will likely be developed by their Hotel division. This is one of the most successful and profitable independent Hotel companies in the nation.

Post the proof.

The support I have is directly from the foreman of the site. My office is adjacent to the site, so the development of the property is of great interest as it will affect me directly in my day to day life.

Originally I was told was that 2econd Stage Theatre, which is on the corner of 43rd and 8th Avenue, was attempting to block the demolition of their current residence. Their plan was to make it a historic landmark, but these plans have not been completed and Tishman was waiting until this board had made a ruling on it. Tishman revamped their plans, and has decided to use the alley behind it as a an entrance. (which lofter1 confirmed in his 12/13/07 post)

The legal woes I was talking about was with their demo company. The had used Waldorf Demo to take the parking garage down, but due to a lawsuit (of which the issue was not disclosed to me) they have switched to Savetta and Sons who have been doing the digging and the blasting into the bedrock.

Thank you for telling me that the hotel would be built by the hotel division. I thought it would be built by Tishman's Human Resource team, or their accounting department...that clarification was quite necessary.

In other news, do you believe they will take down Smith's Bar across the street on 44th to make way for something...classier? Or is that bar too legendary to the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesstalkmoreaction View Post
    Thank you for telling me that the hotel would be built by the hotel division. I thought it would be built by Tishman's Human Resource team, or their accounting department...that clarification was quite necessary.
    That comment is completely uncalled for.

Re: Smith's Bar

While no proposal for a development on the block encompasing the west side of Eighth between 44th / 45th has been presented the site is ripe for devlopment. I doubt that any of the existing buildings have any Landmarking potential. Perhaps the neon, the steam tables and other fixtures found at Smith's Bar deserve protections, but I'd guess that mightier forces will easily condemn the current building(s) to rubble before too long. If we'd not seen an economic downturn that demolition could have happened some time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesstalkmoreaction View Post
    The legal woes I was talking about was with their demo company. The had used Waldorf Demo to take the parking garage down, but due to a lawsuit (of which the issue was not disclosed to me) they have switched to Savetta and Sons ...
    For what it's worth, DOB shows that the Demo company working at 693-697 Eighth Avenue is RITE-WAY INTERNATIONAL REMOVAL. They signed-off on completion of Demo at 3.11.08. Per DOB that same Demo company took down structures on the combined lots at 306-320 W 44 / 307 W 43; sign off took place on 3.07.08 (that batch of lots seems to extend as far west as 326 W 44).

At the portion of the site along Eighth Avenue DOB shows that the Demo company at 691 Eighth is WALDORF Exteriors; they also signed off on 3.11.08. DOB also shows Waldorf Exteriors also took down the corner building at 699 Eighth (aka 300-304 W 44), having conmpleted / signed off on that job on 3.11.08.

On a different front, both DOB records and signs at the site seen in photos taken today (attached) show that Waldorf Demolition is the company currently taking down 99 Church, just to the west of and abutting the Woolworth Building.

Not certain if Waldorf Exteriors is the same company as Waldorf Demolition.

However all those DOB records cited above show that the two Waldorfs happen to share the same New Jersey building address, and both of these Waldorf job sites are overseen by persons with very similar names.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woolworth_09e.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	5851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woolworth_09d.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	5852  

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Permits still say 22 floors.

Ive seen a massing diagram for this building, boring box.

Anyone have any more information about this hotel? Someone mentioned they suspected it would be a Starwood hotel, is there any truth to that? I know people previously talked about renderings, any chance those can be posted (if they're not confidential anymore)? What about recent pictures of the site?

Not much new to see at the site. They're just digging.

Banned Member

Default Photo from June 6, 2008

As Lofter said, not much to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    That is a beautiful, beautiful block.

Hmm... I'd say, one nice building on an otherwise less than noteworthy block.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It's a whimsical bit of color with a dash of glitz that causes no harm whatsoever ...

Once we get the additional glass boxes which will line Eighth Avenue from 42nd Street north the Westin will be a welcome bit of pizzazzz.

That's frightening to contemplate.

No need to contemplate -- for what's in store take a walk along Sixth Avenue above 23rd Street.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast