Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 291

Thread: The InterContinental New York Times Square - 8th Avenue and 44th Street - by Gensler

  1. #1

    Default The InterContinental New York Times Square - 8th Avenue and 44th Street - by Gensler

    I'll hold off on making a separate thread since it's still uncertain...but this could end up being one of the largest of all these new hotels.

    Tishmans Buy Plots Near New Times Tower—But What Will They Build?

    by John Koblin and Mark Wellborn Published: July 26, 2007 Tags: Real Estate, Hotels, Investment Sales, Times Square, Tishmans


    John and Dan Tishman appear to be making way for their second Manhattan hotel. Tishman Realty & Construction recently closed on five properties just west of Times Square for $128 million, according to city records. The hotel and construction magnate purchased the properties under the name West 44th Street Hotel LLC, a hint perhaps that yet another hotel will be developed in Manhattan.

    A spokesman for Tishman Realty confirmed the sale, but demurred on confirming development plans. “A venture led by Tishman Realty affiliates has purchased a 30,000-square-foot parcel of land on the southwest corner of Eighth Avenue and West 44th Street in Manhattan,” the spokesman wrote in an email to The Observer.“We are currently exploring development options and will announce details in the future."

    The properties, totaling approximately 146,000 square feet, were sold by The Witkoff Group and Harwood Properties. Calls to the sellers were not immediately returned.

    One deed has a listed sale price of $116.5 million and the other is for $11.5 million. The properties that Tishman acquired include:
    • 691 Eighth Avenue, 693 Eighth Avenue, 699 Eighth Avenue,306 West 44th Street, 309 West 43rd Street
    Except for the last address above, each property sits on the corner of 44th Street and Eighth Avenue, only blocks away from the new New York Times building, the new office tower from SJP dubbed 11 Times Square, and the proposed tower Vornado will put atop the Port Authority.

    The New York Sun reported in 2006 that Steve Witkoff and Harwood were planning construction on a 250,000-square-foot residential condo with about 256 units at 693-699 Eighth Avenue and 307-321 West 43rd Street.

    Tishman Realty & Construction, which has hotels in Chicago, Florida and the Caribbean, owns the Westin New York at Times Square. The father-and-son duo of John and Dan Tishman are not to be confused with that other Manhattan giant, Tishman Speyer. The Tishmans famously separated their businesses in the 1970's, with one—Tishman Realty—focusing on hotel development and construction and the other—Tishman Speyer—on buying Manhattan trophy office buildings.

    http://www.observer.com/2007/tishmans-0

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    I'll hold off on making a separate thread since it's still uncertain...but this could end up being one of the largest of all these new hotels.

    Tishmans Buy Plots Near New Times Tower—But What Will They Build?

    by John Koblin and Mark Wellborn Published: July 26, 2007 Tags: Real Estate, Hotels, Investment Sales, Times Square, Tishmans


    John and Dan Tishman appear to be making way for their second Manhattan hotel. Tishman Realty & Construction recently closed on five properties just west of Times Square for $128 million, according to city records. The hotel and construction magnate purchased the properties under the name West 44th Street Hotel LLC, a hint perhaps that yet another hotel will be developed in Manhattan.

    A spokesman for Tishman Realty confirmed the sale, but demurred on confirming development plans. “A venture led by Tishman Realty affiliates has purchased a 30,000-square-foot parcel of land on the southwest corner of Eighth Avenue and West 44th Street in Manhattan,” the spokesman wrote in an email to The Observer.“We are currently exploring development options and will announce details in the future."

    The properties, totaling approximately 146,000 square feet, were sold by The Witkoff Group and Harwood Properties. Calls to the sellers were not immediately returned.

    One deed has a listed sale price of $116.5 million and the other is for $11.5 million. The properties that Tishman acquired include:
    • 691 Eighth Avenue, 693 Eighth Avenue, 699 Eighth Avenue,306 West 44th Street, 309 West 43rd Street
    Except for the last address above, each property sits on the corner of 44th Street and Eighth Avenue, only blocks away from the new New York Times building, the new office tower from SJP dubbed 11 Times Square, and the proposed tower Vornado will put atop the Port Authority.

    The New York Sun reported in 2006 that Steve Witkoff and Harwood were planning construction on a 250,000-square-foot residential condo with about 256 units at 693-699 Eighth Avenue and 307-321 West 43rd Street.

    Tishman Realty & Construction, which has hotels in Chicago, Florida and the Caribbean, owns the Westin New York at Times Square. The father-and-son duo of John and Dan Tishman are not to be confused with that other Manhattan giant, Tishman Speyer. The Tishmans famously separated their businesses in the 1970's, with one—Tishman Realty—focusing on hotel development and construction and the other—Tishman Speyer—on buying Manhattan trophy office buildings.

    http://www.observer.com/2007/tishmans-0
    I walked by this site on Jul. 26, 2007, and all of the subject buildings have signs stating that they are going out of business. Since the particular buildings are nice, I really hope that the replacement is impressive.

  3. #3

    Default

    Curbed:

    Group Rallies to Spare Seedy Eighth Avenue Theater
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007, by Joey

    The Times' City Room blog had a very touching—pun intended—look back on the Playpen theater (left, via Flickr/woody1969) near Times Square a few days ago, which went dark for good after 90+ years of foreign flicks and porn. Mostly porn. In fact, in its incarnation as the gay porn spot Adonis, it was shuttered in 1994 by the Department of Health for, uh, sauciness. Well, building owner Tishman will demolish the building, perhaps as soon as tomorrow, and in a city where you can't kick around a rock without pissing someone off, preservationists are trying to save the ol' porn hole. A group calling itself the Committee To Save The Playpen Theater sent out a press release calling for the Playpen to be spared, and there's some good history in there too.

    The theater opened in 1916 as the Ideal Theatre, and was designed by architectural firm Eisendrath & Horwitz in the Beaux Arts style. It survived under a series of names, including the Squire Theatre, Cinecitta, Cameo, New Cameo, and Adonis, and staged Vaudeville acts, silent films, & foreign films in its early years, respectively. According to the Film Daily Yearbook of 1930, it seated 598 patrons. Rare & distinguishable façade attributes include ornate brasswork around the windows, a cameo depicting a woman unspooling a roll of film, a cornice interlocking with an arched pediment, a grand arch with medallions, triangular pediments, ornate pilasters, brickwork, and a marquee that has been renovated, but likely retains original materials underneath. The auditorium portrays goddesses in decorative plaster.

    Preservationists consent 2 proposals:

    1. The facade & interior spaces could be incorporated into the proposed high-rise, granting a distinctive presence which “merges the best of both worlds” (old world charm & modernism). This could be a great marketing strategy. The Hearst Tower, amongst others, serve as case studies.

    2. Transport the theater to a new site, as Tishman accomplished for the AMC Empire Theatre on 42nd St in 1998. The Playpen Theater could be donated to a theater/cultural non-profit in exchange for a tax write-off. It would be sold to new owners, and the developers and the non-profit could benefit financially. (For example, Michael Perlman, Chair of Committee To Save The Moondance Diner, was responsible for salvaging the Moondance by working with Extell Development & donating it to the American Diner Museum. It is now in Wyoming gaining a new lease on life).

    Tishman has yet to announce the plans for the site, but odds are it will be big and expensive. As for those "goddesses in decorative plaster" mentioned above, you can see them right here, accompanied by the amazing comment, "had to dodge the pimps and crack ho's to sneak this pic."

  4. #4

    Default

    This was the most visible remnant of the old Times Square, I’m not a purveyor of this smut, but I’m going to miss the by-gone era this theater represented. In reality though the old atmosphere hasn't really existed for a good ten years now.

    NYTIMES:



    The Playpen, an Eighth Avenue pornography emporium, was built in 1916 as the Ideal Theater. And the quality of its original architecture still shows, if you look above the signs.



    The Playpen two years ago, when it was still busy, as was the Funny Store on one side and a camera store on the other.



    One of the original decorative cameos on the Playpen facade shows a young woman -- was there a muse called Cine? -- unspooling a roll of movie film.



    Incongruity abounds on the Playpen facade, a mixture of neo-Classical and porno-Classical.



    Until just a few weeks ago, the World Trade Center continued to glow at night on the Playpen facade.



    Today, the twin towers -- and the theater itself -- have gone dark.

  5. #5
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    2,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Curbed:

    Group Rallies to Spare Seedy Eighth Avenue Theater
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007, by Joey

    The Times' City Room blog had a very touching—pun intended—look back on the Playpen theater (left, via Flickr/woody1969) near Times Square a few days ago, which went dark for good after 90+ years of foreign flicks and porn. Mostly porn. In fact, in its incarnation as the gay porn spot Adonis, it was shuttered in 1994 by the Department of Health for, uh, sauciness. Well, building owner Tishman will demolish the building, perhaps as soon as tomorrow, and in a city where you can't kick around a rock without pissing someone off, preservationists are trying to save the ol' porn hole. A group calling itself the Committee To Save The Playpen Theater sent out a press release calling for the Playpen to be spared, and there's some good history in there too.

    The theater opened in 1916 as the Ideal Theatre, and was designed by architectural firm Eisendrath & Horwitz in the Beaux Arts style. It survived under a series of names, including the Squire Theatre, Cinecitta, Cameo, New Cameo, and Adonis, and staged Vaudeville acts, silent films, & foreign films in its early years, respectively. According to the Film Daily Yearbook of 1930, it seated 598 patrons. Rare & distinguishable façade attributes include ornate brasswork around the windows, a cameo depicting a woman unspooling a roll of film, a cornice interlocking with an arched pediment, a grand arch with medallions, triangular pediments, ornate pilasters, brickwork, and a marquee that has been renovated, but likely retains original materials underneath. The auditorium portrays goddesses in decorative plaster.

    Preservationists consent 2 proposals:

    1. The facade & interior spaces could be incorporated into the proposed high-rise, granting a distinctive presence which “merges the best of both worlds” (old world charm & modernism). This could be a great marketing strategy. The Hearst Tower, amongst others, serve as case studies.

    2. Transport the theater to a new site, as Tishman accomplished for the AMC Empire Theatre on 42nd St in 1998. The Playpen Theater could be donated to a theater/cultural non-profit in exchange for a tax write-off. It would be sold to new owners, and the developers and the non-profit could benefit financially. (For example, Michael Perlman, Chair of Committee To Save The Moondance Diner, was responsible for salvaging the Moondance by working with Extell Development & donating it to the American Diner Museum. It is now in Wyoming gaining a new lease on life).

    Tishman has yet to announce the plans for the site, but odds are it will be big and expensive. As for those "goddesses in decorative plaster" mentioned above, you can see them right here, accompanied by the amazing comment, "had to dodge the pimps and crack ho's to sneak this pic."
    With landmarks ebing so messed up, I bet they just might save this place

  6. #6

    Default

    About that article: It IRRITATES.. is so completely without culture to UNDERLINE this theatre's relatively recent past as a porn theatre with:

    "....preservationists are trying to save the ol' porn hole"

    That's NOT what preservationists are trying to preserve.

    They are trying to preserve the former Ideal Theatre, built in 1916, designed by architectural firm Eisendrath & Horwitz in the Beaux Arts style.

    Geeez.

  7. #7

    Default

    I've seen a confidential rendering of the hotel that will rise here, and it is lame!

  8. #8
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    8,113

    Default

    I think they have their facts wrong. Tishman didn't move the AMC theater. I believe Bovis did that job.

    It's all in the details.

  9. #9
    Senior Swanky Peteynyc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    732

    Default

    In the spirit of the neighborhood, they should dedicate the first 3 floors to a super porn palace.

    When you say lame rendering, just how lame are we talking here?

  10. #10

    Default

    Is the there ANY chance that he meant to say lamé ?

  11. #11
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1 View Post

    ...they should dedicate the first 3 floors to a super porn palace.
    Family Oriented, of course .

  12. #12
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    8,113

    Default

    Sure, they'll show incest movies.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1 View Post
    In the spirit of the neighborhood, they should dedicate the first 3 floors to a super porn palace.

    When you say lame rendering, just how lame are we talking here?
    Macklowe style (i.e., basically a glass box with a flat roof).

  14. #14
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Scaffolding was going up all around this site today, and the Playpen marquee & neon are GONE ...




  15. #15

    Default

    That is a beautiful, beautiful block.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Year in Times Square
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: November 16th, 2013, 06:29 AM
  2. Toys R Us Times Square
    By noharmony in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
  3. W New York - Times Square Hotel
    By hyperfine in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 18th, 2005, 09:55 PM
  4. Times Square 2002 Celebrations Part I
    By Edward in forum Photos and Videos of New York
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 1st, 2002, 12:39 AM
  5. Pictures of luxurious W Hotel - Times Square
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 29th, 2001, 01:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software