Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Emerald Green - 320 West 38th Street - by Stephen B. Jacobs Group

That's very interesting Lofter...Thank YOU!!!
    now for an update.
    I just got this email from my neighbor who sits
    on CB4:
    Lots of you have asked updates on this building. It is coming up for approval at the community board full meeting on Wednesday: this is a good opportunity to get all your questions answered since it is the final plan.
    DATE: February 6, 2008
    TIME: 6:30 pm
    PLACE: Fulton Center Auditorium - 119 Ninth Ave. (b. 17/18) 310-328 W. 38th Street (Glenwood Management) - ULURP Nos. N070462ZRM and 070463ZSM re zoning text amendment for street wall and special permit for 400-space public parking garage

Further the developers are asking approval for a special exception to add 400 parking spaces
    As we all know , 37th street si a traffic nightmare: with the Ptretzel trucks blocking acccess, the Lincon tunnel entrance , the 700 occupancy venue across the street, this is the last place to add to parkign capacity that will compound congestion at peak hours .
    With the possible closure of 33rd street . this is not the time to add a 400 car flow to peak hour traffic in this street.

To our knowledge the existing garage at 36th and 9th , 42nd and 9th and the two remaining garages on 37th on that block are not full during the day . therefore there is not a demonstrated need and a lot of adverse impact

I recommend you all show up and speak strongly in opposition to granting this exception . ( sign up to speak at the entrance , you will be called – you

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Do not allow them to add that many parking spaces. It may make it convenient for their residents but end up hurting the city in the long run.

Everything should be done to make it harder for people driving (and parking) their cars in the city in order to discourage it.

I'd bet that's also the reason why they've dug so deep: multiple underground parking levels.

I believe it is an aspect of current City Planning philosophy that new residential buildings MUST include off-street parking -- particularly as so many parking lots / structures are being developed and parking spaces are being lost.

However I agree that all this does is encourage folks to own cars / drive in Manhattan.

Stupid is a stupid does.

Well it looks like Glenwood is gonna get it's way......
    I got to talk to the yard foreman today and he politely answered all my questions!
    The building is actually gonna be Two towers, one on 37th, and one on 38th. Each tower will be 25 stories tall.
    They will be built right up to the lot lines Blocking all windows in peoples homes that have lived and worked here for years.
    They will each have setbacks on the street sides, but NOT on the property lines (where all the windows are).
    The foundation for the 38th st side should be done by the end of the month or the first week of March.

The foundation for the 37th st side should be finished by the end of April....
    I'm sooo glad I don't live in this building which will lose ALL
    it's windows except on the front!

IF...... they don't run into any more unexpected delays
    (like the bedrock -not thought to be so close to the surface- or the underground running water-haha).

I should be able to reach out and touch the damn building from my terrace
    Across the street on 37th, another building - a rental 28 stories tall, got a sweet stop work order for the entire site!

we need as many parking spaces as we can get, especially with all the residential buildings going up and taking away virtually every open air lot. we've lost 1000s of spaces over the past couple years.

part of living on the west side means you dont have to pay 700 for a monthly space like you would on the east side. it means you can travel outside the city without renting a car each time. its not only for visitors to the city.

the cost of parking is already a barrier. if you dont like traffic on your street dont live on a feeder road to the lincoln tunnel. there are many streets in this city with normal traffic patterns.

some people cant deal with any change, even if its good for the neighborhood. more residents, more stores, more foot traffic brings nicer surroundings. loss of lot line windows are unfortunate, but these windows, even if they have been around for a long time, are lost all the time to new construction. thats why there are so many blank walls that everyone on this board complains about.

we need as many parking spaces as we can get, especially with all the residential buildings going up and taking away virtually every open air lot. we've lost 1000s of spaces over the past couple years.
    Maybe but......
    they don't all have to be within a few blocks of each other! There are already a lot of parking garages and lots on these blocks-
    more than our fair share. So many in fact that none of them is EVER close to being full.

if you dont like traffic on your street dont live on a feeder road to the lincoln tunnel
    I personaly Don't... I live on 38th st- which travels east- AWAY from the Lincoln tunnel.
    Also, if you do some research, you would probably find that that the present entrance to the tunnel (and all of 9th ave in Hell's Kitchen), is about to be reconfigured!
    Here is a link to help you start that research:
    http://www.streetsblog.org/2007/05/0...hells-kitchen/

Too bad the city teared down the Ninth Ave. El and never replaced it with a subway line of some sort.

Yeah -- the one block walk to Eighth Avenue is a killer!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Meow!

lofter, the walk to Eighth for someone on Ninth isn't a big deal but for people on Tenth and Eleventh, it then becomes somewhat of a hindrance.

A line on Ninth not only serves its immediate block on which it's on but the two or three blocks on either side of it as well.

I can tell you now that the west side wouldn't have been such a wasteland of parking lots, auto repair shops, etc. for that many years if there was a subway line running through it.

Default Requested Update on W 30's Construction Central

Does anyone know anything about the rental on the south side of W37th st across from the Glenwood site?

Also, any info on potential services (ie. grocery stores, etc) in any of the new buildings going up on W 37th/38th?

Is the hotel going up on W36th st b/w 8th and 9th a McSam or is it a 'nicer' hotel?

Is there any hope of losing our neighborhood crack den, I mean 'Postgraduate Center' and getting something interesting in the old church on W36th between 8th and 9th?

thanks

Does anyone know anything about the rental on the south side of W37th st across from the Glenwood site?
    If your talking about that other construction pit .....
    it will be a 28 story rental apartment building.
    Nothing has been done there for quite a while- this may have something to do with it.

Also, any info on potential services (ie. grocery stores, etc) in any of the new buildings going up on W 37th/38th?
    No they are trying to change the zoning to put in a large (unwanted) parking garage instead.
    Is the hotel going up on W36th st b/w 8th and 9th a McSam or is it a 'nicer' hotel?
    It's a peter poon thang... here's the WNY link where this building is being discussed:
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...t=4913&page=43

Is there any hope of losing our neighborhood crack den, I mean 'Postgraduate Center' and getting something interesting in the old church on W36th between 8th and 9th?
    Hope is eternal

38th street side foundation poured and floors started going up...
    37th st. side foundation work finally started.
    They moved the exit ramp from the center to the corner.
    isn't that one of those pesky drills seen all over the place?)

They also have taken over every lane but one with their "sidewalk" shed on 37th st.
    Now when a cement truck rolls up to unload ALL traffic must come to a dead stop!

Is this it....found on sbjgroup.com, 328 west 38th

http://sbjgroup.com/

OHhhh MYYyyyyy GODDDddddesssesss!
    I have been looking for a rendering of this building for over ONE YEAR!!!!
    That is definitely the space, but I was told the architects were Costas condovomit??????
    This is VERY interesting, considering what is shown is only 1/2 of the dug foundation-
    which consumes much of this block on 37th st. as well!
    Thank you for this BIG piece of the puzzle.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast