Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: One Madison Avenue - by Daniel Libeskind

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I sure hope they're really talking about neither the so-called base, or the tower itself, but rather the north north building which was originally going to be a whopping mega-skyscraper. The foundations are in and can support the addition of about 60 more floors. Now THIS would make the Hearst Tower seem like peanuts.
    I think the base sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz View Post
    It would be helpful if someone had a photo of the site...even more helpful if someone would be willing to do a massing study in the skyline.

Google maps gives a good idea.
    Last edited by NoyokA; June 22nd, 2008 at 10:19 PM.

While I hate The Link, Elad could join the ranks of good developers (i.e., Durst, Barnett, Rosen) that don't pull a Macklowe and build cheap towers.

My guess is the tower portion will go on the Park Ave. side of the block with the existing base being renovated with the main entrance on Madison facing the park.

Call me a NIMBY, but I'm skeptical about how this will look next to Metlife Tower, especially considering Elad's track-record with glass curtainwall (think Link). Metlife Tower is such an amazing edifice, I sure hope Elad doesn't cheapen it up with some flat-top.

Elad is the developer, Libeskind is the architect.

Regardless of the developer, you don't expect to get a Kondylis looking building or budget if you hire Libeskind.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator View Post

... I sure hope Elad doesn't cheapen it up with some flat-top.
    Does DL even know how to do "flat top"

I'd rather have a simple glass wall merely reflecting the MetLife tower than some spastic Liebeskind crystal distracting from it.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Angry Wah!

There goes my Walgreen's!

This is great news. Hopefully some Hearst looking thing. Well I am thinking too much. LOL. Don't want to get too excited just yet. But this one has to be good looking since it will be a much focal point in the skyline.

YEAH BABY!

Israeli firm plans Manhattan's highest residence
    Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:35am EDT

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Real estate company Elad Group, owned by Israeli billionaire Yitzhak Tshuva, plans to build New York's tallest residential building in a $450 million deal, an industry source said on Thursday.

Elad, which also owns New York's Plaza Hotel, plans to construct an additional 75 floors on top of an existing 20-story building, said the source, who asked not to be named.

Elad officials were not immediately available for comment.

The Madison Avenue building will stand 274 meters (899 feet) tall.

Building plans are currently being examined by the New York City municipality and are subject to regulatory approval, Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth said.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    YEAH BABY!

additional 75 floors on top of an existing 20-story building, said the source
    Wait, let me calm down....Does that mean the taller, northern one? The one that should have been 1000 feet to begin with? Calm...down....do not hyperventalate....

Ok now I am confuse. Which building are we talking about now?

Quote Originally Posted by SilentPandaesq View Post
    Wait, let me calm down....Does that mean the taller, northern one? The one that should have been 1000 feet to begin with? Calm...down....do not hyperventalate....
    I don't know the number of storeys of the One Madison Avenue annex, but Met Life North is 32 storeys, I still don't think its that building in question. I'll pass by the annex today and see how many floors it has just to try and confirm it is infact the building in question, which I am almost positive it is.

Seems now we are talking about the North Building at 11 Madison Avenue (between 24th / 25th). However that building is 32 stories -- not the "existing 20-story building" emntioned in the article.

The North Building (below left, from Emporis) was constructed in a way that would have allowed it to serve as the base for a 110-story telescoping tower ...

Another earlier shot from a German website ... Die Stadt New York :

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast