Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: One Madison Avenue - by Daniel Libeskind

Default Proposed: One Madison Avenue - by Daniel Libeskind

From NY Magazine's Sep. 20, 2007 edition:

"Have We Found Libeskind's Manhattan Tower at Madison Square Park?"

Some months ago, Daniel Libeskind told us he was designing his first tower in Manhattan. We asked where it was, and he said he couldn't tell us, yet, but he would as soon as all the official folderol allowed. A few days later, someone who knows Libeskind mumbled something to us about "One Madison," then promptly hushed up. For months, Libeskind's people have said only that Israeli developer Elad Properties is Libeskind's client for a project somewhere in Manhattan. Well, today, an Israeli news service is reporting that Elad is developing a 74-story apartment tower at One Madison Avenue. You know, that pretty landmark with the illuminated clock tower? According to the report, they'll be adding many stories to make the new structure one of the tallest residential towers in the world.
    Back in June, Libeskind told us his project would be on a "historic site, one of the iconic sites of New York City." And, he added, "I guarantee you'll see the Statue of Liberty from there." Aha! And hmm. It's got to be hard to change any aspect of that building. Elad's venerable publicist, Lloyd Kaplan, says he doesn't know what to make of the Globes story. And we're not in the business of glomming news from publications we've never seen before. But either way, we're excited for all the heated debate about the effect of skyscraper shadows on the iciness of Shake Shack custard in coming months. —Alec Appelbaum
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 20th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

I assume this will be built on the site of the horrible low-rise base, which, sadly, once had a very ornate facade.

The following was posted on Sep. 20, 2007 on the following website of an Israeli newspaper: www.globes.co.il.

"Tshuva to build Manhattan’s tallest residential building:
    Yitzhak Tshuva’s project will top the 72-story Trump World Tower."

Ariel Rosenberg 20 Sep 07 19:00

Yitzhak Tshuva’s private real estate arm Elad Properties is planning to build Manhattan’s tallest residential skyscraper, which will be one of the tallest buildings in the world. He is apparently taking to heart the words of the Leonard Cohen song, “I’ll Take Manhattan”.
    Elad will invest $450 million in the One Madison Avenue building, fronting Madison Square Park and East 23rd Street, adding floors to the 17-story New York City landmark. The result will be a 74-story skyscraper that will by 900 feet (274 meters) tall. The building will top the 72-story 262 meter Trump World Tower. The 283-meter tall 70-storey Trump Building, an office building on Wall Street, will still be higher than Tshuva’s new development however. Only two residential skyscrapers in Australia - the Q1 Tower in Gold Coast, Queensland, and Melbourne’s Eureka Tower - will top One Madison Avenue.

I'm confused. Does this mean the destruction of the MetLife tower? Or just severe overshadowing of it?

I don't know but I'm very intrigued and want to know more. Besides, isn't the Metlife tower landmarked? Is there a 17 story building in the immediate vicinity anyone knows about?

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    I don't know but I'm very intrigued and want to know more. Besides, isn't the Metlife tower landmarked? Is there a 17 story building in the immediate vicinity anyone knows about?
    I assume it refers to the huge low-rise base just south of the tower that runs from Madison to PAS.

Exclamation New Metlife Tower

Quote Originally Posted by czsz View Post
    I'm confused. Does this mean the destruction of the MetLife tower?
    The plan is to keep the tower - and perhaps the entire base building - and build onto to it: somewhat similar to the Hearst Tower project.

I can't really imagine anything growing out of the tower...I guess that just means its presence in the skyline is about to get severely supplanted.

Could it be the building to the north will finally get the addition it's been waiting for for decades?
    http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...orkcity-ny-usa

Then again this all could just be a rumor....but 900 feet in this location will be huge and give the ESB some serious company

The original Met-Life Building will not be touched at all, instead the lowrise building fronting it, which people are calling "the base", in reality it was built in the 1950's, it spans from 23rd between Park Avenue and Madison, and it will not be missed if it is to be altered. GREAT NEWS!!!

Exclamation New MetLife Tower

I can't really imagine anything growing out of the tower...I guess that just means its presence in the skyline is about to get severely supplanted.
    Obviously they will not build on the Tower itself: the base building will probably be removed. But yes - more to your point - the prominance of Tower on the skyline will be no more. Come to think of it: maybe the Villard House is a better comparison to what will eventually be built there at the MetLife Building. I think a contrasting modern structure - as in the Villard House addition - could come off beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    The original Met-Life Building will not be touched at all, instead the lowrise building fronting it, which people are calling "the base", in reality it was built in the 1950's, it spans from 23rd between Park Avenue and Madison, and it will not be missed if it is to be altered. GREAT NEWS!!!
    Yes. The following is, as per Michael Stoler, of the NY Sun:

"In March 2005, SL Green Realty Trust Corporation purchased One Madison Avenue for $918 million. It purchased the building from MetLife. One Madison Avenue consists of two contiguous buildings with about 1.4 million square feet. The 14-story South Building was built in 1956 and consists of about 1.2 million square feet of office space. The South Building was acquired by a joint venture with Gramercy Capital Corporation. Gramercy acquired a 45% interest and SL Green a 55% interest in the building, which is occupied almost entirely by Credit Suisse First Boston. The purchase price of the South Building was about $803 million. The North Tower, completed in 1909, is a landmark building, contains 41 stories of 267,000 square feet of space, and is zoned for residential and office use. Additionally the air rights associated with the property could provide for the development of about 470,000 square feet of additional space. Last week, SL Green announced it had entered a joint venture arrangement with its tenant, Credit Suisse, RFR Holding, and hotelier Ian Schrager for the redevelopment and residential conversion of the North Tower, also known as the Clocktower. Under the terms of the venture, SL Green will retain a 30% interest in the building."

It would be helpful if someone had a photo of the site...even more helpful if someone would be willing to do a massing study in the skyline.

It would be helpful if someone had a photo of the site...even more helpful if someone would be willing to do a massing study in the skyline.
    It's the POS to the right. It looks small but is actually quite large as it spans from Madison to PAS.

I sure hope they're really talking about neither the so-called base, or the tower itself, but rather the north north building which was originally going to be a whopping mega-skyscraper. The foundations are in and can support the addition of about 60 more floors. Now THIS would make the Hearst Tower seem like peanuts.
    Last edited by Bob; September 20th, 2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: crrectd a splng errur

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast