Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Brunswick Rising

^Getting taller every day. Can see it from Easton Ave in Somerset. Is 1 Spring St fully open yet? I see lights in a few of the apartments but street level entrance looks deserted.

I thought 1 Spring was completed and ready for occupancy at least 3 years ago (?)

May very well be, but there doesn't seem to be many residents occupying it. Was by there a couple weeks ago & still the deserted looking entrance on Spring with paper covering the windows. Maybe they're having trouble filling all the units? Last year I was speaking with someone who was familiar with it who said the top floor units were going for around 450k. At night whenever I go past there not many of the units are lit up, & this is basically 7-8pm.

Good selling point.

NEW BRUNSWICK — Residents in the city's tallest building now have a new place to play, high atop the building's parking deck.

Purchase this Photo

The roof atop One Spring Street's parking deck has been transformed into a promenade with about 4,000 square feet of live plants and landscaping, a mini-playground, a cookout area with grills and even a mini-dog park. (MARK R. SULLIVAN / MyCentralJersey)

The 10,000-square-foot roof atop One Spring Street's parking deck has been transformed into a promenade with about 4,000 square feet of live plants and landscaping, a mini-playground, a cookout area with grills and even a mini-dog park.
    Salvatore Salsa of Jersey Landscape Construction, which installed the roof, said these types of amenities are common in the high-rises of New York City.
    "This thing is so common in New York City, but you think it's funny in New Brunswick," said Salsa, who designed the promenade along with designer Alex Oros.
    Wasseem Boraie, vice president of Boraie Development, LLC, said One Spring Street's promenade, like the tower itself, represents the advent of upscale high-rise living in the city's downtown. The promenade was designed in consultation with the building's residents, he said.
    "We incorporated all the different aspects the residents wanted," he said.
    Boraie said the top of the parking deck is about 80 feet high. From that height, residents can see church spires and the colors of fall on one side, and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and other downtown buildings on the other.
    The promenade juts out from the soaring glass-paneled tower, and connects to an indoor swimming pool and gym.
    Architect Peter Brassar of Costas Kondylis Design LLC said the promenade provides a park-like atmosphere without the intrusion of traffic passing by. But he said it also provides an aesthetically pleasing visual to residents looking down on the rooftop.
    "The people living here, what would they be looking down on if this wasn't here?" he said.
    Rooftop vegetation is becoming a popular trend. Roofs that are completely covered with vegetation can make the building cooler, provide insulation, and contain stormwater runoff.
    The roof on the One Spring Street parking deck will assist with stormwater runoff, but Brassar said the promenade was developed to be an amenity, not for environmental reasons.
    The promenade includes about 1,000 square feet of Live Roof succulent plants, Salsa said. Live Roof sells preplanted squares of inch-high succulents. The rest of the plants are a mix of spruce trees, shrubs, perennials and other plants. The vegetation will require a visit a couple of times a month for upkeep, but will otherise be self-sustaining, he said.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...llest-building

i know theres a light rail line in the works....but nothing else..
    The only place I've ever seen a New Brunswick Light Rail referenced was on a NJ Transit 2025 wish list map, that map was just an academic exercise in order to generate discussion on where transit priorities could go in 20 years or so. There's never been any money spent on any plans or enviromental impact statements for the majority of those 2025 wish list items. Even when there is money spent on draft planning, enviromental and public scoping that's not an indication that construction is imminent.

Some sort of transit system in New Brunswick would be awesome, especially something to bridge the various campuses on either side of the Raritan as well as something to connect downtown to the Route 18, Route 1, Route 27 and I-287 corridors. However I've never seen any plans other than a reference on the 2025 wish list map. And I'm not sure what mode it would take, New Brunswick is very compact and includes lots of grades which would make a standard Light Rail system such as the HBLRT difficult to construct.

I was in New Brunswick last night, the development is very encouraging. However their transportation priorities right now should be completing the Route 18 corridor improvement project, it's great in Downtown New Brunswick. However it's still only two lanes between East Brunswick Turnpike Exit and Route 1, huge bottleneck. They should really rebuild the Turnpike interchange to better feed traffic flowing towards Route 18 East Brunswick, Route 1 and downtown New Brunswick.

Quote Originally Posted by STT757 View Post
    The only place I've ever seen a New Brunswick Light Rail referenced was on a NJ Transit 2025 wish list map, that map was just an academic exercise in order to generate discussion on where transit priorities could go in 20 years or so. There's never been any money spent on any plans or enviromental impact statements for the majority of those 2025 wish list items. Even when there is money spent on draft planning, enviromental and public scoping that's not an indication that construction is imminent.

Some sort of transit system in New Brunswick would be awesome, especially something to bridge the various campuses on either side of the Raritan as well as something to connect downtown to the Route 18, Route 1, Route 27 and I-287 corridors. However I've never seen any plans other than a reference on the 2025 wish list map. And I'm not sure what mode it would take, New Brunswick is very compact and includes lots of grades which would make a standard Light Rail system such as the HBLRT difficult to construct.

I was in New Brunswick last night, the development is very encouraging. However their transportation priorities right now should be completing the Route 18 corridor improvement project, it's great in Downtown New Brunswick. However it's still only two lanes between East Brunswick Turnpike Exit and Route 1, huge bottleneck. They should really rebuild the Turnpike interchange to better feed traffic flowing towards Route 18 East Brunswick, Route 1 and downtown New Brunswick.
    I was going to post pretty much the same thing, there are no concrete plans for a light rail in New Brunswick. As you stated, the area's development pattern is too compact and constructibility would be a big issue (as well as financing).

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by STT757 View Post

My south Bound Brook friend (whos an OME) said its in the works and a private company is doing it......It would connect Bound Brook to New Brunswick and then later to South Amboy. This Light Rail would be like a hybrid of a streetcar aswell , so it can easily snake through NB. So it would be a Tram-Train like the riverline , somewhat HBLRT.
    Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; December 24th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    May very well be, but there doesn't seem to be many residents occupying it. Was by there a couple weeks ago & still the deserted looking entrance on Spring with paper covering the windows. Maybe they're having trouble filling all the units? Last year I was speaking with someone who was familiar with it who said the top floor units were going for around 450k. At night whenever I go past there not many of the units are lit up, & this is basically 7-8pm.

It opened years ago and properties are already in foreclosure and values for homes on the market are falling, check out zillow: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/16_zm/0_mmm/

I know someone that bought 2 units during the presale (around 450k) and are now underwater and can't sell. Top floor is for around 800k with no takers...

The scary part is if you tick off recently sold nothing shows up :X

The article you posted is from 2009 as well
    Last edited by block944; December 25th, 2010 at 04:14 AM.

If you REALLY want a bargain check out the townhomes in South Bound Brook you need to scroll down the list at the bottom : http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale..._zm/1_rs/1_fr/

I get goose bumps as I ALMOST bought one in 2006 for 400k and they are now going for 270 to 290 with still no takers. For the money you get a garage and 3 bedrooms a crappy school district and train station in a walking distance. Not bad

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by block944 View Post
    If you REALLY want a bargain check out the townhomes in South Bound Brook you need to scroll down the list at the bottom : http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale..._zm/1_rs/1_fr/

I get goose bumps as I ALMOST bought one in 2006 for 400k and they are now going for 270 to 290 with still no takers. For the money you get a garage and 3 bedrooms a crappy school district and train station in a walking distance. Not bad
    What does south BB houses , have to do with New Brunswick?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    My south Bound Brook friend (whos an OME) said its in the works and a private company is doing it......It would connect Bound Brook to New Brunswick and then later to South Amboy. This Light Rail would be like a hybrid of a streetcar aswell , so it can easily snake through NB. So it would be a Tram-Train like the riverline , somewhat HBLRT.
    Are you referring to the BRT that NJT was studying PRELIMINARILY? That looked at two corridors - Route 27 and Route 18, not Easton Avenue to BB (compare the three during the peak hour sometime). How does anything to BB make sense? The vast majority of the traffic into NB comes from the north and east, not from the west. And a private company?? In this economic climate??? Even if that were true they would need a whole slew of state and county approvals. BTW, what is an "OME"??

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Don31 View Post
    Are you referring to the BRT that NJT was studying PRELIMINARILY? That looked at two corridors - Route 27 and Route 18, not Easton Avenue to BB (compare the three during the peak hour sometime). How does anything to BB make sense? The vast majority of the traffic into NB comes from the north and east, not from the west. And a private company?? In this economic climate??? Even if that were true they would need a whole slew of state and county approvals. BTW, what is an "OME"??
    Idk , he just told me it was being studied by a private company. BB is the Railway JCT of Central Jersey , the Raritan Valley line meets with the Future West Trenton and Flemington lines. The line would run form BB / SBB along Easton Ave to Downtown then snake its way to the Cook / Douglas Campus of Rutgers , then a few proposals have it going east to South River and South Amboy. The BRT is still on the table for 18 , but seems unlikely for 27. Yes the vast Majority of traffic comes form the North and East but i do see that changing to the West in the future. As for the private company , there are many in the US who would love to build lines or systems but the red tape gets in the way hopefully this won't be the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by block944 View Post
    It opened years ago and properties are already in foreclosure and values for homes on the market are falling, check out zillow: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/16_zm/0_mmm/

I know someone that bought 2 units during the presale (around 450k) and are now underwater and can't sell. Top floor is for around 800k with no takers...

The scary part is if you tick off recently sold nothing shows up :X

The article you posted is from 2009 as well
    That is scary as well as disappointing. I thought those would move very well. Reasonable walking distance to business and theatre districts as well as RWJ, plus restaurants galore.

As far as light rail, New Brunswick may want to do a self-contained project. I fear they may get scared off by anything bigger outside city limits. Streetcar or tram-train would be a better idea. Jeez, even adding more bus routes wouldn't hurt.

Are they still going ahead with the marina, or did the environmentalists win this one? That was supposed to bring a lot of cruisers up the river for restaurants & theatre during better weather. Not sure if it went thru or not. They were even dredging a couple years ago then it stopped.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    That is scary as well as disappointing. I thought those would move very well. Reasonable walking distance to business and theatre districts as well as RWJ, plus restaurants galore.

As far as light rail, New Brunswick may want to do a self-contained project. I fear they may get scared off by anything bigger outside city limits. Streetcar or tram-train would be a better idea. Jeez, even adding more bus routes wouldn't hurt.

Are they still going ahead with the marina, or did the environmentalists win this one? That was supposed to bring a lot of cruisers up the river for restaurants & theatre during better weather. Not sure if it went thru or not. They were even dredging a couple years ago then it stopped.
    A Marina would be nice , that river is dead....it could use some boat traffic. Screw the Environmentalists.....they should shut up for a moment. Just Imagine what a Marina could do to NB? The only problem is the North Jersey Coast line bridge doesn't open much... As for the Light Rail , it would be a Tram - Train......It would run in the middle of Easton Avenue in Light Rail format , then turn into a Streetcar and split in New Brunswick , the proposes for after NB have it acting like a train and built along old PRR ROW to South Amboy. The Proposed New Brunswick Light Rail line would connect to at least 10 bus lines , and the Raritan Valley line , West Trenton , Northeast Corridor , MOM lines , and North Jersey Coast line , so it would act like a connector and also serve the busy hwy 18 corridor. On a side note do think NB will become the Next Jersey City in terms of Skylines later this decade?

NB the next JC? HAH! Keep dreaming.

NB does have many important assets that other cities in Central Jersey lack, including proximity to Metropark/Piscataway, Rutgers University, and Route 18 & the train station, but this doesn't compare to what is offered by some other cities in the state.

There are many other cities in NJ poised for much greater growth (and already with engineering/architectural work underway for taller/larger buildings than anything that is likely to be built at this point in NB: Newark, Elizabeth, & Harrison).

Just to catch up to Newark, NB would have to build at least 10 skyscrapers, which, at the current pace of construction would take at least until the year 2150.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast