Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: New Brunswick Rising

Forum Veteran

Recent Photos from jamesinclair over on SSC

In just two weeks, a HUGE amount of progress at Rutgers in New Brunswick.

Pictures taken by me, during Ciclovia.

The new dorms are looking very large

Forum Veteran

New Rutgers Dorms in New Brunswick

New Brunswick Rising - Rutgers Dorms
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

New Brunswick Rising - Rutgers Dorms
    by Corey Best, on Flickr

2015 Hungarian Festival all day today. Somerset St. from Division to Bethany.

Unnepel!

Forum Veteran

I learn these events too late....

I should've posted during the week when I remembered. It was great, and crowded, people dancing in the street, Hungarian music and dancing, art exhibits, and of course FOOD. There was the usual smattering of trinket vendors but not enough to matter, and of course, my camera batteries crap out.

A good day either way. I think the next outdoor fest is the Raritan River Fest in September.

Forum Veteran

Some awesome updates were posted on SSC

New Brunswick Residential

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=126666475&postcount=924

Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; September 3rd, 2015 at 09:00 PM.

Any news on that 22-story building next to Rockoff on New Street?

Those are good updates from SSC. Drove by the new condo construction behind the Matrix building the other night and finally got how it's going to look.

I didn't notice the one next to Rockoff but I may pass through this weekend.

Glad to see that lot at RWJ finally filled in (although it would've been better to see the Stem Cell Research tower built there...). I wonder how soon DEVCO will be breaking ground on The Hub at the Ferren Mall site.

I'm afraid this is one piece of NB that's falling. I'd stopped in front of this synagogue just a week ago and thought how beautiful it was, and that I hoped it wouldn't be closed down. It looked very old & beaten on the outside (except for the magnificent stained-glass windows), but it was stunning inside. More pictures in the Torah rescue article link in the middle of this article.

New Brunswick synagogue fire appears accidental

Staff Report 9:36 a.m. EDT October 25, 2015

Firefighters working to extinguish a blaze that destroyed Congregation Poilezedek in New Brunswick Friday night.(Photo: Photo by Susan Loyer)

2 CONNECT 4 TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

NEW BRUNSWICK - A fire that destroyed a synagogue in the city Friday night appears to have been accidental, according to city and Middlesex County authorities.
    According to a news release issued Saturday afternoon by Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey, Director Anthony A. Caputo of the New Brunswick Police Department, and Middlesex County Fire Marshal Michael Gallagher, the fire appears to have started on the first floor of Congregation Poilezedek at 145 Neilson St. in New Brunswick.

The specific cause of the blaze remains under investigation, and the investigation is active and is continuing, authorities said.
    Firefighters were dispatched to the scene of the blaze at 4:19 p.m. Friday and arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the synagogue. The blaze was under control by 8 p.m., but damage to the building was severe and extensive. Neighboring condos and buildings were evacuated. (think you have to have an account to view the rest of the article).

MYCENTRALJERSEY
    Rabbi rescues Sefer Torah from burning New Brunswick synagogue

The investigation is being conducted by members of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office, the New Brunswick Police Department, the New Brunswick Fire Department and the Middlesex County Fire Marshal.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Todd O’Malley of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at 732-745-3300, or Detective Thierry Lemmering of the New Brunswick Police Department at 732-745-5217.

The synagogue site near Route 18 was purchased in 1905. In 1923, the cornerstone ceremony was held, and a year later, the building was completed and began operating, according to the synagogue's website. At that time, the congregation changed the name to Poile Zedek, which means "doers of righteousness."

The synagogue offers daily morning, Shabbat and holiday services, and is committed to Torah education and community service, according to the website.
    http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story...ntal/74541416/

A more detailed video from News12 New Jersey:
    http://newjersey.news12.com/news/fire-destroys-historic-new-brunswick-synagogue-1.11003292
    Last edited by mariab; October 25th, 2015 at 12:12 PM.

Anyone have any news on the developments in NB? Any updates on the Upper lot project on Neilsen or the 22-story building next to Rockoff? Or the Ferren Mall replacement (aka the Hub)?

If the weather would break on a Tuesday, I'll have to pay a visit to New Brunswick for a photo tour.

http://newbrunswicktoday.com/article...opens-downtown
    Permanent Housing Complex for Domestic Violence Survivors Opens in Downtown

NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ--On February 11, community organizers and residents gathered for the ribbon cutting of Dina's Dwellings, a community complex in downtown New Brunswick that offers permanent and supportive housing for survivors of domestic violence.
    This project was organized and created by Town Clock Community Development Corporation, lead by Reverend Susan Kramer-Mills. Dina's Dwellings is located at 9 Bayard Street, and is built within the First Reformed Church.
    This historic building, originally built in 1812, has been successfully refurbished to provide 10 affordable housing units within the supportive structure for domestic violence survivors who are leaving the shelter system and in need of affordable and permanent housing.
    Town Clock Community Development Corporation began this project in 2008 with the hope that Dina's Dwellings would "empower women" and as a result get them "back on their feet," states their website.
    This is a great and unfortunately necessary addition that needs to be built all across the country.

Also Robert Wood Johnson is proposing a 40,000 square foot expansion
    http://newbrunswicktoday.com/article...ulance-traffic

^Wow. RWJ keeps growing...and growing...and growing.

Default The HUB To Break Ground Next Month

From GlobeSt:

NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ— Jones Lang LaSalle says New Brunswick Development Corp. began site preparation on the Ferren Mall Parking Deck for The Hub @ New Brunswick Station. New Brunswick Development expects site construction of its 1.7 million-square-foot mixed-use redevelopment project to commence in April 2017. JLL is Devco’s exclusive marketing agent for The Hub. The team managing the assignment includes Daniel Loughlin, managing director and New Jersey brokerage lead; Scott Lesh, managing director; Peter Ladas, senior vice president; and Scott Stange, vice president.

Link: http://www.globest.com/sites/stevelu...-northeast-11/