Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 343

Thread: New Brunswick Rising

  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    That is scary as well as disappointing. I thought those would move very well. Reasonable walking distance to business and theatre districts as well as RWJ, plus restaurants galore.

    As far as light rail, New Brunswick may want to do a self-contained project. I fear they may get scared off by anything bigger outside city limits. Streetcar or tram-train would be a better idea. Jeez, even adding more bus routes wouldn't hurt.

    Are they still going ahead with the marina, or did the environmentalists win this one? That was supposed to bring a lot of cruisers up the river for restaurants & theatre during better weather. Not sure if it went thru or not. They were even dredging a couple years ago then it stopped.

    NOPE.

    Travel back in time and you will see people paid 500+ for condos in 2006 that now are selling for 320 ish and on zillow the prices are falling fast. Community fees are around 500 a month and no good school districts in the area meaning private school which is more headaches not to mention horrible traffic and no grocery stores you can walk to meaning you have to park in their garage and haul your food over... I did that for a year in Newark at 1180 and when it rained or snow it was NOT fun and Good luck finding parking when guests come.. No thnx for the money they paid(500 can get you a full house in franklin!).



    http://php.app.com/websr1a07/results...orderby=deeddt



    Unlike newark , new brunswick isn't doomed but is due for a painful price correction as the city does have wealth, strong colleges, hospitals, companies and nearby towns aren't the hood


    http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/16_zm/0_mmm/
    Last edited by block944; December 31st, 2010 at 09:23 AM.

  2. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    815

    Default

    A Trader Joes or better yet a Whole Foods would go a long way towards establishing a professional community in New Brunswick.

  3. #48
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    On the Rails in North NJ
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    Hackensack is another city that would probably see more highrises than New Brunswick. Hackensack is just a few miles west of Manhattan, has an upgraded train line (and probably eventually light rail), and already has quite a few residential highrises.

    I definitely don't think Newark is dead. Newark is in better shape than some other NJ cities, and its core is slowly revitalizing. They will get some highrise residential around the performing arts center.

    But the biggest concentration of new highrise construction in NJ over the next 20 years will almost certainly be concentrated from Fort Lee to Bayonne, along or near the Hudson. This is pretty much common sense, IMO, because the Gold Coast is essentially an extension of Manhattan.
    Hackensack has height restrictions on most of the land that should be built on....due to Teteboro and the area where all the high rises have been built is kinda off....there proposed light Rail line will connect that area to the core of the city but its still off. Newark really needs to step it up some more , as for Fort Lee do they have anymore room? As for the NJ Gold Coast , we need to adress the North - South Congestion issue ie JFK boulevard....the PATH should build an EL over that street.

    Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    Not later this decade. Maybe by 2025, but then again, as NB grows, so does JC & every other city. But in NB as far as downtown goes, there's nowhere to go but up. The Riverview condos replaced the projects, so those are staying, the townhomes built throughout the city for the people from the projects aren't going anywhere.The whole city including outskirts is 4.5 square miles. Check out this quick NB profile: http://www.idcide.com/citydata/nj/new-brunswick.htm

    They're going to have to start knocking down a lot of old properties. There's one at the NW corner of the courthouse at Kirkpatrick & Paterson Sts that is filled inside & out with plants of all kinds. I was driving past one day when I thought I saw fake birds inside. Then they moved! NB could use a quarter of that block after the owner passes or vacates & sells. Just one example.

    JC is lucky not only in terms of land area but its close proximity to that somewhat exciting city across the water . Found an interesting profile as I was looking up stats on JC, too. http://www.idcide.com/citydata/nj/jersey-city.htm

    The logistics of that light rail (although I like the connector part) on Easton Ave has me uneasy. There are no shoulders, & both directions get heavy car traffic during morn & eve rush. Light rail would cut way into that, not to mention those 2 blind hills between Foxwoods Rd & Franklin Blvd.
    Urban Jersey is on the brink of exploding.....the question is how fast and in what format? Will it be like Asia and super Dense or like Philly will a dense core and fill ins everywhere else. While NJ's cities are dense there are a lot of open spaces. I think Paterson , Elizabeth , Harrison and New Brunswick will rise up this decade like JC did over the past decade. JC got lucky because of NYC , but Paterson , Elizabeth , NB and Harrison will get lucky on all the younger Generations of New Jerseyites moving back into the Urban Environment.

    Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    You know, I've often wondered about Newark's supposed height limitations and I've asked around, no one seems to know anything about it (combined w/ the fact that Grant was going to build a tower where the Rock currently is that was slated to be the tallest).

    I think Newark's zoning laws are outdated, and some of them were updated after the arena was completed. That doesn't mean one should expect a Goldman Sachs or anything, but something taller than 744/1180 is entirely plausible.

    I don't think Paterson is going to get any significant concentrations of tall buildings soon. NB maybe, but then 'tall' becomes a relative term.

    PS: I think Edison, Woodbridge, Piscataway, NB should merge w/ NB as the obvious downtown.
    Woodbridge itself is enormous , its composed of 10-12 smaller villages i guess you could call them? So merging into NB wouldn't make any sense , i think all the Brunswick's should merge.... Edison is fine the way it is....


    Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    I think that would be cool considering the GS is 42 stories.

    It would be nice if the Gateway building was a little taller, but since it won't have a height challenge in the city it'll look taller and loom over the city. (The J&J hq could be seen for miles)

    True as downtown is not directly in the flight path.

    As far as NB, like JC its got a lot of new construction, but space isn't its strong suit and could get completely built out rather quickly.
    What about all the companies located in NB , doesn't that give it an edge....? Boston's Downtown isn't in the Flight path and the FAA opposed one of there Supertalls or high rises , i think they had to down size.

    Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    So much for 30 stories. It would be embarrassing to Newark if tiny NB had a taller tower than Newark!
    Could you imagine that happening.....well it has happened in other regions like DC and Miami.....

  4. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by block944 View Post
    NOPE.


    Unlike newark , new brunswick isn't doomed but is due for a painful price correction as the city does have wealth, strong colleges, hospitals, companies and nearby towns aren't the hood
    Newark has many of those things you mention. However, a strong poverty-populace doesn't help the cause.

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post


    Urban Jersey is on the brink of exploding.....the question is how fast and in what format? Will it be like Asia and super Dense or like Philly will a dense core and fill ins everywhere else. While NJ's cities are dense there are a lot of open spaces. I think Paterson , Elizabeth , Harrison and New Brunswick will rise up this decade like JC did over the past decade. JC got lucky because of NYC , but Paterson , Elizabeth , NB and Harrison will get lucky on all the younger Generations of New Jerseyites moving back into the Urban Environment.



    Woodbridge itself is enormous , its composed of 10-12 smaller villages i guess you could call them? So merging into NB wouldn't make any sense , i think all the Brunswick's should merge.... Edison is fine the way it is....

    .
    I based my wanting Edison/Woodbridge/NB to merge based on geographical location and population numbers. NB is further inland along the Raritan river and Woodbridge has coastline along Raritan bay which could serve as a port.

    Those 3 combined would make the 2nd or 3rd largest city in the state (and albeit the lowest crime one), and would have the largest land area of all of NJ's largest cities. (even though it would still be a part of the NY-Newark urban area)

    And yes, Woodbridge comprises of: Fords/Colonia/Iselin/Avenel (but in the case of a merger most cities have their own little districts anyway)
    Last edited by 66nexus; December 31st, 2010 at 03:40 PM.

  6. #51
    Jersey Patriot JCMAN320's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    4,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Hackensack has height restrictions on most of the land that should be built on....due to Teteboro and the area where all the high rises have been built is kinda off....there proposed light Rail line will connect that area to the core of the city but its still off. Newark really needs to step it up some more , as for Fort Lee do they have anymore room? As for the NJ Gold Coast , we need to adress the North - South Congestion issue ie JFK boulevard....the PATH should build an EL over that street.



    Urban Jersey is on the brink of exploding.....the question is how fast and in what format? Will it be like Asia and super Dense or like Philly will a dense core and fill ins everywhere else. While NJ's cities are dense there are a lot of open spaces. I think Paterson , Elizabeth , Harrison and New Brunswick will rise up this decade like JC did over the past decade. JC got lucky because of NYC , but Paterson , Elizabeth , NB and Harrison will get lucky on all the younger Generations of New Jerseyites moving back into the Urban Environment.



    Woodbridge itself is enormous , its composed of 10-12 smaller villages i guess you could call them? So merging into NB wouldn't make any sense , i think all the Brunswick's should merge.... Edison is fine the way it is....




    What about all the companies located in NB , doesn't that give it an edge....? Boston's Downtown isn't in the Flight path and the FAA opposed one of there Supertalls or high rises , i think they had to down size.



    Could you imagine that happening.....well it has happened in other regions like DC and Miami.....
    Nexis Jersey City is fortunate for its geographic location; which has ALWAYS been a draw (this is nothing new) you act as if Jersey City has nothing else going for it. Forgive me if I am miss reading you when you use the term LUCKY but it comes across as a very jealous tone as if its a fluke that JC got all the development and ammenities it has gotten and continues to get. Wtf does Paterson have that makes it better than JC? Elizabeth? The only two cities that have as much going for it in terms of location, infrastructure, institutions, ammenities, and potential are New Brunswick and Newark/Harrison. Again I apologize if I am miss reading you.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; December 31st, 2010 at 09:34 PM.

  7. #52
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    I can see Elizabeth getting bigger.

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post

    And yes, Woodbridge comprises of: Fords/Colonia/Iselin/Avenel (but in the case of a merger most cities have their own little districts anyway)
    Don't forget the village of Woodbridge itself, as well as Sewaren, Hopelawn, Keasby, and Port Reading

  9. #54
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    On the Rails in North NJ
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    Nexis Jersey City is fortunate for its geographic location; which has ALWAYS been a draw (this is nothing new) you act as if Jersey City has nothing else going for it. Forgive me if I am miss reading you when you use the term LUCKY but it comes across as a very jealous tone as if its a fluke that JC got all the development and ammenities it has gotten and continues to get. Wtf does Paterson have that makes it better than JC? Elizabeth? The only two cities that have as much going for it in terms of location, infrastructure, institutions, ammenities, and potential are New Brunswick and Newark/Harrison. Again I apologize if I am miss reading you.
    Jersey City is my favorite city , next to NYC so no i'm jealous of it. I think the NJ Gold Coast and JC are going to hit a major Infastrature snag later this decade.....there is no North - South Rail line and congestion is growing. If this is not addressed and the area continue to grows like it is today , it will reach a point where its the Quality of life starts dropping and the area will start to suffer. As for Paterson , Elizabeth , Newark , Harrison , and NB they long term plans addressing that issue of congestion and Quality of life. Jersey City didn't seem to grow all that much this past decade , neither did Hoboken or Bayonne , infact they shrunk....Newark , NB , Elizabeth , Harrison all grew and by alot.......idk what is going on in the other cities , but it might have to do while the rising cost of living in JC...and the NJ Gold Coast. Elizabeth , and Paterson are in my mind starting to bloom like JC did 20 years ago.......there late bloomers but they'll get there...

  10. #55
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don31 View Post
    Don't forget the village of Woodbridge itself, as well as Sewaren, Hopelawn, Keasby, and Port Reading
    I find it interesting how people talk about Woodbridge having sections and districts. Maps and NJ state road signs mention "colonia","Fords" ,"sewaren" and so on. But when it comes to Newark, no one wants to mention...."Weequahic",Dayton,Clinton Hill, Ivy Hill,or Fairmount, even Vailsburg is only mentioned in a southbound parkway sign. OH IM SORRY! those are the black areas, so I guess they don't count. OF course we ALL know about the white and Hispanic Portuguese Ironbound and North Newark, with its Woodside,Forest Hill and Roseville/silver lake area. Of course if Newark were restored to its original area comprising all Essex County, The City would go instantly overnight from Black and poor to cosmopolitan and wealthy overall. The Newark core and Irvington would compose a small percentage of the new larger city.
    Last edited by Newarkguy; January 1st, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

  11. #56

    Default

    Nexis, the height restructions in Hackensack have nothing to do with prospects for highrises.

    If/when new highrises are built, they wouldn't be above 400 ft. anyways, so it wouldn't come into play. Hackensack isn't Manhattan, or even Brooklyn/Queens/Jersey City.

    The Prospect Ave. corridor and downtown Hackensack are already zoned to allow highrises. If the economy cooperates, I think you will see new highrises in the coming years, probably in the 20-floor range, though ranging from maybe 10-30 floors (and pretty much all residential).

  12. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newarkguy View Post
    I find it interesting how people talk about Woodbridge having sections and districts. Maps and NJ state road signs mention "colonia","Fords" ,"sewaren" and so on. But when it comes to Newark, no one wants to mention...."Weequahic",Dayton,Clinton Hill, Ivy Hill,or Fairmount, even Vailsburg is only mentioned in a southbound parkway sign. OH IM SORRY! those are the black areas, so I guess they don't count. OF course we ALL know about the white and Hispanic Portuguese Ironbound and North Newark, with its Woodside,Forest Hill and Roseville/silver lake area. Of course if Newark were restored to its original area comprising all Essex County, The City would go instantly overnight from Black and poor to cosmopolitan and wealthy overall. The Newark core and Irvington would compose a small percentage of the new larger city.
    Maybe b/c I'm smack on top of the area I hear folks mention Weeq/Vails all the time. But true, don't hear it too much outside the area

    It's funny, b/c while not a huge section of it by any means, Weeq's definitely got some decent tree-lined streets.

  13. #58
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    On the Rails in North NJ
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    Nexis, the height restructions in Hackensack have nothing to do with prospects for highrises.

    If/when new highrises are built, they wouldn't be above 400 ft. anyways, so it wouldn't come into play. Hackensack isn't Manhattan, or even Brooklyn/Queens/Jersey City.

    The Prospect Ave. corridor and downtown Hackensack are already zoned to allow highrises. If the economy cooperates, I think you will see new highrises in the coming years, probably in the 20-floor range, though ranging from maybe 10-30 floors (and pretty much all residential).
    There hasn't been a new High Rise in Hackensack in about 20 years , theyve built it to far off the main corridor in my opinion.

  14. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don31 View Post
    Don't forget the village of Woodbridge itself, as well as Sewaren, Hopelawn, Keasby, and Port Reading
    True

  15. #60
    Forum Veteran Newarkguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    University Heights,Newark
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I can see Elizabeth getting bigger.
    Just as Newark originally had all of present Essex to itself, Elizabeth had all the territory in Union county. When Newark and "Elizabethtown" were founded, the entire region was Essex County. Leaders of Newark and Elizabethtown (as it was then called) set a boundary from a tree carved with an "N" and an "E" on Dividend hill, in today's Weequahic park.
    The line ran southwestward towards today's Watchung area. All of today's Union County broke from Essex after a fradulent election to determine which town got the county seat/courthouse went Newark's way. Hillside,Union,Springfield,summit and Providence was in Newark, Everything else south of the line was Elizabeth's.Union county should go back to Elizabeth. Essex back to Newark. then Consolidate both counties as boroughs of a greater city of "Newark Elizabeth".
    Last edited by Newarkguy; January 1st, 2011 at 03:29 PM.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jersey City Rising
    By dbhstockton in forum New York Metro
    Replies: 5642
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2019, 02:48 AM
  2. What Goes up Keeps Rising
    By Kris in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 5th, 2015, 02:41 AM
  3. New Brunswick Moving Up From New Rentals to Condos
    By Kris in forum New York Metro
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM
  4. Two new towers rising adjacently at 92nd/1st
    By enzo in forum New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: June 7th, 2005, 09:45 PM
  5. Rising interest threaten building prices
    By krulltime in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 7th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software