Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New Brunswick Rising

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    Maybe b/c I'm smack on top of the area I hear folks mention Weeq/Vails all the time. But true, don't hear it too much outside the area

It's funny, b/c while not a huge section of it by any means, Weeq's definitely got some decent tree-lined streets.
    Yes, if youre a local, you know the areas. But to suburban New Jerseans who only go by the NYC controlled news reports on Newark, the whole city is crap and "just Newark" NJ turnpike does not even recognize the city! most people driving between exit 13a and 15w/e never know they have spent the last 20 minutes driving in Newark. They see the distant Newark skyline and think the city is "over There" past the airport. While weequahic is not gigantic, its bigger than Roselle park,Dunellen,Harrison. Vailsburg has more area than Weehawken , or Hasbrouck Heights. But population wise weequahic rivals most urban suburbs in NJ. Exit 54 on I 78 completely ignores Newark's Weequahic section. Its officially the Irvington and Hillside exit......despite the fact that you are entering Weequahic,newark.

Default Final Design Completed For $150M New Brunswick Gateway Transit Village

Final Design Completed For $150M New Brunswick Gateway Transit Village

January 25, 2011

By Carolina Worrell

A final design has been completed for the construction of the $150 million New Brunswick Gateway Transit Village, a 632,000-sq-ft mixed-use building located at the intersection of Somerset Street and Easton Avenue in downtown New Brunswick, New Jersey that will link the campus of Rutgers University as well as the larger community to the local train station.

Rendering courtesy of Meltzer/Mandl Architects, PC

Meltzer/Mandl Architects of New York designed the transit village and completed the final documents for construction on the project which first broke ground in January 2010, on behalf of the development team including New Brunswick Development Corporation and Pennrose Properties.

Gateway Transit Village required careful and detailed preparations to be made to insure that the various levels would be built in a way that provided the right access for pedestrians and vehicles on its steep location, a 23-ft difference in grade. The transit village will include a pedestrian bridge featuring a large, iconic clock to illuminate the walkway between the building and the Rutgers campus, more than 120,000 sq ft of commercial space, a 657-vehicle parking garage, 58,000 sq ft of destination retail, and a 14-stoy residential tower that will sit atop a 10-story parking structure and contain192 residences. The residential tower will also be wrapped by offices and a series of street-level commercial spaces including those occupied by the Barnes & Noble College Bookstore for Rutgers, and offices for the New Brunswick Parking Authority and the Rutgers University Press.

“This new building will help bring renewed life to a site that is vital to New Brunswick, but has been under-utilized for far too many years,” said David G. Carpenter, partner and executive vice president at Meltzer/Mandl.

The building will be comprised of a series of discrete structural systems, including pre-case concrete for the parking structure and a steel frame for the residential tower and commercial spaces. The façade will have a series of prefabricated and thin brick panels, along with stone liners and steel channels.

“Pre-cast concrete parking garages are not typically designed to support taller and more complex structures above them; they are usually stand-alone buildings,” said David J. Stuart, project manager for Meltzer/Mendl. “In our case, we are retrofitting the entire complex so that the structure and building systems for each component work together.”

Government financing for the project is being provided by the New Jersey Housing Mortgage & Finance Agency, the New Jersey Department of Transportation/Liberty Corridor Program and tax credits through New Jersey’s Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit Program. Construction on the New Brunswick Gateway Transit Village is expected to be completed by January 2012.

http://newyork.construction.com/new_...sitVillage.asp

Best rendering I've seen. The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if they finished ahead of schedule.

Nice.

Way to go New Brunswick! I passed the site last month and its very impressive. This will make a great presence on the street and in the skyline. Its amazing this city that was given up for dead at one point is now surging. Jersey City, New Brunswick, Hoboken, Englewood, Rahway, etc.. can all turn around but Newark ans Camden remain stunted; its crazy!

I'm glad New Brunswick is building, very glad, but...nice? Sorry, I'm not seeing it. Especially right next to those beautiful old colonial buildings. No better than the rest of the crap they've built since the 70's (except for J & J).

I guess they could have put greek colums between windows on the lower parking deck to blend somewhat. It does ignore the architecture around it.

Greek columns? That would only make it look worse. To me it's not even about blending in (I like modern - old contrasts..but done right). This just completely overwhelms the beautiful buildings beside it, it's fat too.

Quote Originally Posted by brianac View Post

That is so weird to see, I use to live on Guilden and ate at italian place on the right hand corner of this building all the time... probably the first time in my life I'm experiencing nostalgia

Passed by today, looking good. Forgot my camera because of so many damn errands. No construction happening though I guess due to temps. 1 Spring St had electrical contractor trucks in front, as well as PSE&G. Paper no longer covering windows plus I saw a bunch of wires hanging. George St. reopened but jeez, I thought NY was running out of places to put snow!

Boy is that fugly. The biggest problem is the massing. It is a fat block. It's going to make that corner of Somerset Street look weird, and the New Brunswick skyline will appear pretty strange from afar too. I'm all for new development and New Brunswick's renaissance, but this building is u-g-l-y.

Probably because of the multifunctionality of it, especially with the attached parking garage, they were thinking more "functional" than "aesthetic".

The original design was far better than the final one; it was originally planned as a taller, more slender tower; and then it basically got butchered. It pays no respect at all to the smaller buildings nearby; there should have been more setbacks (both vertical and horizontal). It's going to stand out like a sore thumb IMO.
    Last edited by West Hudson; February 1st, 2011 at 01:08 AM.

They should have cut the length/width of the tower and added to the height. Oh well, typical jersey(stub block) "skyscraper".

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast