Thread: what to do in nyc when you're 18

Default what to do in nyc when you're 18

hey, i just moved to manhattan a coupe of month ago and i really don't know anyone in this city (i'm not from the us) besides apparently it seems to be impossible to go out if you're underaged, but even if i did, i still don't know anyone! lol basically im kinda lost and i really don't know where i can find people around my age just to hang out and meet new people in a city where it seems everyone is at leat 25... i guess it would've been easier if i was going to nyu!

Where do you go to school?

I always found that the best way to meet random people was to just walk around, and drop into whatever catches your interest. I'm sure there are a million comedy clubs and all-ages shows to attend, but if you want to meet people, put in some footwork. Pick a neighborhood, go, and be bold. You're more likely to meet like-minded people doing that than you are whiling away the hours in some coffee shop deemed popular with the under-21 crowd.

Banned Member

Parks, coffee houses, free concerts, museums.

There are clubs and concert venues that do allow 18 (actually 16 and older) into the facility.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    There are clubs and concert venues that do allow 18 (actually 16 and older) into the facility.
    Really? can you tell me where?

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Where do you go to school?
    I go to Hunter College

id reccommend joing some school clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    id reccommend joing some school clubs.
    By far the best idea here! Take classes that require group work.

Not sure if you have time, but get a part time job, waiter. bartending; hey maybe they are campus jobs you can get.

Not sure how it is in NYC, but when I am out of town for work for an extended period, I use http://www.meetup.com to meet people in other cities.