Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: England's Green and Pleasant Land

One of my favourite and most visited spots in Shropshire.

The Cider House at Wooton near Quatt, near Bridgnorth.
    I took the photo around 1965. I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	js800_Photos_to_040203_171.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	5001  

Could you tell us more about the regulations which have kept the villages and pastures of the British countryside looking so pleasant and appealing?

^ Prohibiting development forces preservation.

Where development is permitted, regulations don't prescribe the onerous. All those U.S. parking lots and all that sprawl is actually required.

A first step in this country would be to add a zoning overlay to most places allowing urban (i.e. not suburban) development patterns. Villages are urban; therefore they preserve farmland and wilderness. Zoning prohibits such development everywhere in the U.S. Look at the tenth and eleventh photos in this thread, take out your zoning book, and ask yourself: "Where, oh where, in North America could this legally be built?"

I'll add a few more pictures soon, can't today as i'm at work - i forgot a few places i really like to visit when i'm home.

Where am I?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_4_470x300.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	5006   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_10_470x300.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	5007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_19_470x300.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	5008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_20_470x300.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	5009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_23_470x300.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	5010  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_24_470x300.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	5011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_26_470x300.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	5012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_27_470x300.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	5013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_30_470x300.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	5014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winch_35_470x300.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	5015  

Could you tell us more about the regulations which have kept the villages and pastures of the British countryside looking so pleasant and appealing?
    Beyond sprawl, the difference lies to a great extent in the fields. The Northeast US used to look quite a bit like this, but hasn't since the Plains/Midwest gained a huge comparative advantage in agriculture. I wouldn't know, but surely there's some kind of massive subsidy (does the UK get CAP funds?) for farmers/limit to agribusiness' control over farms. If Britain were part of the US, it would have been mostly reforested by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn_Birdseye View Post
    Where am I?
    Winchester????

Anyway, a couple more pictures and i'll finish, the first two are the ruins of Wroxeter roman city, and the picture at the bottom is a village called Bishops castle. A bit out in the sticks, but not quite 'deliverance' country.

By the way, Brinac - we've stopped using the term Salop as in French it translates as 'une Salope' or a 'slut' something my French friend found very amusing when i took him up to Shropshire. But yes Claverley is lovely - not far from you really, some of my ancestors moved to Dudley in the nineteenth century as agricultural jobs in the area were lost and replaced by machines.

I think the main reason most of England isn't built up is we have strictly regulated 'green belt' land around our cities, and areas such as south shropshire which are considered areas of natural beauty it is very difficult to gain planning consent for new houses / commercial premices. Plus houses in England are quite small compared with houses in the US or Australia. Saying that however, things are changing especially in the south east, which seems to be developing into an massive urban sprawl centered on London, and some areas of green belt are fast vanishing.

CSCZ - farmers here do get subsidised by the EU, to only produce specific quotas of harvest, whatever it may be. A ludicrous idea as so much produce is wasted - my friend in France's family own a vinyard and every year his father has to tip away wine rather than produce too much. Madness. Although i'm not sure of the exact details of this process someone else may be able to explain further.

I'm curious, but looking at maps of New England i gain the impression that it there seems to be a more or less built up area stretching from Boston to Washington - is there any control on this?
    Last edited by Meerkat; October 19th, 2007 at 11:56 AM.

is there any control on this?
    only at the most local level, which is to say...not much.

Where am I?
    So - where are you??? I still think its winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
    So - where are you??? I still think its winchester.
    Apologies Meerkat, you're correct, its Winchester.

How long can we hold on to our green & pleasant land? I was reading a report today that was saying the unprecedented avalanche of immigration into the UK will mean that we'll have to build 15 cities the size of Birmingham over the next 25 years just to accommodate them!

I fear for our countryside.

What. 30 million people? i dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    What. 30 million people?
    Birmingham's around a million. That would make 15 million.

It really depends on what source you get. Ive read from 4 million at metro scale to as low as just under a million at city limit scale. I more than often read just below 2 million. If you know the most credible source id like a link to clarify for me.

edit. checking up on this the urban area is around 2.5 million. with the city being a million. I generally consider the whole metro population when refering to a city.
    Last edited by Alonzo-ny; October 25th, 2007 at 06:03 PM.

Apologies Meerkat, you're correct, its Winchester.

Yep, thought so . The statue of Alfred the Great gave it away.

Further to the discussion of the population of Birmingham:

The population of Birmingham city is around 1,006,000; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham,

The West Midlands conurbation which includes the towns of Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Walsall etc has around 2,600,000 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_%28county%29, this pretty much covers the built up area centered on Birmingham.

The West midlands region, which includes the counties of Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands county has a population of around 5,267,000 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_%28region%29.

For those geeks (like me) who are interested in history, this more or less covers the ancient Anglo-saxon kingdom of Mercia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercia.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast