Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone own an iPhone?

Yes, but it needs to develop a "style" base.

If they can get beyond the needed "coolness factor" they might be able to compete, rather than just catch up, to the iP.

I am not being facetious in saying this. For some reason, phones have become the technological fashion statement (you think it is bad here, go to Tokyo!!!!). It does not matter what your phone does per se, more than what phone you have and people's perception of it. Now that being said, the phone HAS to do some things, but it does not need to be the BEST to beat the rest.

Jobs has done very well remembering that, much better than his technically oriented rivals.

We will see what this new Droid does, and whether it can be cool for a non-techie to own one.

I walked past these silly people at lunchtime yesterday. The street had to be barricaded to accommodate them .

Perth iPhone fanatics camp out at Apple store

I must say, though, they've done a nice job restoring the old building the new store is in, as opposed to knocking it down.

Apple does do a great job on their Appletoriums.

It's all in the presentation.

When you are not selling on technical merit alone, you need to put some chocolate sauce on that shortcake before people will scarf it like there is no tomorrow.

Apple Employee Accused of Accepting Kickbacks

NY TIMES
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    August 14, 2010

CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) — A manager at Apple has been indicted by a federal grand jury, accused of taking kickbacks in a scheme involving suppliers of iPhone and iPod accessories.

The manager, Paul Shin Devine, of Sunnyvale, Calif., was arrested on Friday and charged with wire fraud, money laundering and taking kickbacks, the authorities said. The indictment had been filed under seal on Wednesday.

Mr. Devine, 37, is accused of accepting more than $1 million in exchange for providing confidential information to Apple suppliers in Asia. The suppliers are thought to have used the information to negotiate favorable contracts with Apple.

“Apple is committed to the highest ethical standards in the way we do business,” a company spokesman, Steve Dowling, said in a statement. “We have zero tolerance for dishonest behavior inside or outside the company.”

The authorities say a Singapore resident, Andrew Ang, was one of the suppliers involved. He is also named in the federal indictment.

The authorities have declined to comment on Mr. Ang’s whereabouts.

Mr. Devine is being held by federal marshals and is scheduled to appear in federal court in San Jose, Calif., on Monday afternoon.

Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company

Forum Veteran

I own and want zero I-anythings.

hey folks,
    I got an I phone the other day although I am still on the same contract as previous and just added a £10 per month unlimited internet bundle, now this may sound silly but I'm not too great with technology so apologies, how do I come off the internet, do I just push the home button or is there an option for exiting the net on it. I just dont want to be pushing home thinking I'm no longer on the net and be getting charged for it (unlimited internet bundle is not actually unlimited strangely).
    Im sure someone can point me in the right direction.

Default Apps

Ok so I have managed to figure out how to work the I phone, I guess it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Does anyone have the words free app, its like scrabble and its geekishly very addictive. You can play it with anyone who has the app.

Are there any other apps which anyone would recommend?

I've gone the last couple of years with out a cellphone. Because ...I don't know...because I can.

But recently a friend/client of mine gifted me his hardly used IPhone 3GS. He prefers the Blackberry.

I do like the thing. 5 Euros a month for unlimited internets... and it's pretty fast.

When I was a kid they promised us flying cars ...but I don't remember anything like this.

I got along just fine with my old phone which was nothing special but I was also given the I phone, its quite good. Its hard to adapt to and makes you think how did we ever survive without it.

Fab, that is not entirely true.

Things like the "tri corder" from Star Trek would be an example of hand held data technology they foresaw, albeith in radically different form and slightly different function.

The wrist communicator was also one done in the old Dick Tracy comics, I believe, and there were others that touched on this kind of communication.

The odd thing was, although they could picture you using a video communicator on your wrist, they somehow could not envision you being able to read much of anything on it. Most of the electronic gadgets of the past fiction were required to print out something thata was wirelessly transmitted to you.....

Wait a sec... maybe they were just predicting the early 90's......

Actually the most amazing technology is how you can have me on "ignore" (as you've announced) yet are still able to read my posts.

----

No one.... not Star Trek, Dick Tracy, Flash Gordon... or even the Jetsons .... predicted a device that would allow us to have virtually instantaneous access to the world's knowledge in the palm of our hands.

You simply hit the little tag on the bottom that says "view post" or something similar.

I usually tag that on topics that I know I will not get into a fight with you about. If you have a problem with that, I will be more than happy to start fighting with you again!

That aside, I do agree, it has not been seen as such, but various permutations have been there. It is just this confluence that was never envisioned to such a degree.

Forum Veteran

Default iPhone a lifesaver? (literally)

Gas Complex Worker Tells of Terror and a Desperate Escape

"After nearly two days of hiding from the hostage-takers, Mr. Floria and seven others decided their only chance at survival would come from climbing the fence and running away. They left around 2 a.m. for what became a harrowing desert trek, guided only by the flickering flame atop a gas well in the distance and a compass application on Mr. Floria’s iPhone.

Fortunately, the iPhone app worked without a cellular signal. They walked over barren terrain of sand and rocks and small hills, from about 2 a.m. until the late afternoon with only short breaks.

At last they found the gas well. There was a temporary building there, and at least one of the men was struggling to go on.
    "

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/wo...es-escape.html

It is lucky the software did not require license validation through cell phone data plan contact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12