Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own an iPhone?

Default Anyone own an iPhone?

I recently bought an iPhone from the Apple Store on 8th Avenue. I love it, as I can access the net (and this forum) from anywhere in the country, at any time and any place. It also doubles as an iPod. You can view many YouTube videos as well as video bought at iTunes.

My only gripes are the lack of compatibility with Flash Player. Also you can not listen to most radio station streams available online, or watch live TV (there is a way to listen to XM or Sirius radio, via Orb.com, provided you subscribe to one of them). Also the Edge wireless connection is more dial-up speed than high speed, but the screen image is sharp. The keyboard and navigating the web on the screen takes getting used to, but it is getting easier to use.

Certainly money well spent, provided it doesn't malfunction in the near future.

By the way, here are some pics of the Apple Store. Nice place.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2022/...8f67df8a_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2352/...20030682_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/...4e92546b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2373/...e83a502e_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2389/...fc20aa36_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2238/...5c22ba55_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/...e5e78036_o.jpg

On 5th you mean? I am probably gonna get the itouch when they up the memory, i love the internet on the iphone/touch (practically the same) it does look really clean and fresh and the fact i could mooch free wi fi on my ipod is too awesome. Out of interest would i be able to use msn messenger on an iphone/touch?

I haven't tried it yet but here may be your answer.

http://www.iphone-hacks.com/forums/post-330.html

And you're right..5th avenue, not 8th.

Thanks, i figured id have to use one of those aim express type deals. I love the idea of being in central park or somewhere and chatting with my UK friends and also listening to my awesome good music collection.

My money can only get an iPod .
    Have a nice time .

I don't have one, but considering my computer says "Congratulations. You have been selected to win a free Apple iPhone" for no reason about three times every day, I am currently owed in excess of about one hundred and fifty of them. They should be rolling in any day now...

Anyone have an itouch who wants to share their experience with it?

No money=no iPod ,no iPhone , no anything !

Banned Member

Patience, Mohamed. You'll get it one day.

I hope ,
    thank you.

Yes I have lots of them?

Forklift Operator Admits To Stealing iPhones

By Staff Reporter of the Sun
    January 30, 2008

A forklift operator at John F. Kennedy International Airport is being charged with stealing $147,000 worth of Apple iPhones bound for Hong Kong, the Queens District Attorney, Richard Browne, announced yesterday.

Nevar Singh, a forklift operator who worked for a company subcontracted to handle freight for Cathay Pacific Airlines, was caught on surveillance tape stealing five boxes containing 300 iPhones from a warehouse at the airport, according to the complaint filed in Queens Criminal Court.

When Port Authority police questioned Mr. Singh, he admitted that he and his cousin, Navin Hussain, had stolen the phones and planned to sell them to a phone store in the Briarwood section of Queens.

Police set up a sting operation and caught Jaouad Najyb buying a box of the phones for $24,000, according to the complaint.

Messrs. Singh and Hussain are being charged with second-degree grand larceny, and Mr. Nayjb is being charged with third-degree possession of stolen property, Mr. Browne said.

Copyright 2008 The New York Sun

The Mystery of the iPhone Death Grip

NY TIMES
    David Pogue
    June 25, 2010

The hot tech news on Friday is the exploding scandal that’s been dubbed the “iPhone Death Grip.” Like everything else related to the iPhone, it’s turned into an overhyped emotional stew.

Some people are reporting, and even posting videos showing, that when you wrap your hand around the iPhone 4, the cellular Internet strength visibly drops. You can actually see the bars disappearing.

A cellphone that loses its signal when you pick it up? Well, that could be considered a drawback.

I must say, I was mystified at first. I’ve never seen it on the iPhone unit I’ve been reviewing. I can’t even reproduce it, no matter how hard I try. I’m sitting here right now. I’m wrapping my hand every which way — I’m even holding it with two fists, completely concealing the silver band around the edges — and my four-bar signal strength doesn’t waver.

On Twitter, most of my followers seem to indicate the same thing; it’s a problem that just doesn’t exist for them.

But clearly, the problem exists for some people. PC Magazine, for example, has been able to reproduce the problem. For them, it happens only if (a) your hand is somewhat sweaty and (b) you hold the phone in such a way that your fingers are covering all three black gaps in the stainless-steel band around the phone’s edge. (For this reason, left-handers seem to be the most-affected population.) In that configuration, signal strength drops a little.

“The hand involved has to be a little sweaty to encourage conductivity, or the trick might not work,” says the tester. “This doesn’t have any effect on connecting voice calls in areas with a strong signal, but it can make the difference between connecting and not if you’re already in a fringe signal area.” He notes, however, that Internet download speed is cut by half or more when you do this.

If you do experience the iPhone Death Grip problem, one easy way to eliminate it is to put the phone in a case. Even a “bumper” solves the problem — like the $30 one that Apple sells. It’s a thin rubbery silicon band, available in a range of colors, that covers the metal edge entirely.

You know, I’ve thought that bumper was bizarre from the moment Apple introduced it. What is its purpose? It’s not going to do much for your iPhone if you drop it. And it’s not going to protect the glass front or back from scratches in your pocket or bag, only the stainless-steel edge, and who worries about that?

No, the bumper covers only the edge, breaking the finger conductivity and neatly eliminating the iPhone Death Grip problem. The paranoid might ask: Why is Apple introducing bumpers now, with this phone? Is it trying to profit from its own design flaw?

Or, less conspiratorially: Shouldn’t Apple at least offer free bumpers to people who are having the Death Grip problem?

I’ve asked Apple about the problem three times, and nobody’s gotten back to me, but the company did issue a statement:

“Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance,” it said, “depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your Phone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.” (Or, as Steve Jobs himself wrote to one customer: “Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way.”)

Avoid holding it that way!? Seriously?

This doesn’t seem like a problem that Apple can fix with a little software update; it’s baked right into the design of the iPhone 4 itself. And considering the hysteria that surrounds the phone, combined with ignorance about the nature and probability of the problem, it could wind up being a huge black eye for Apple and the phone.

Will it be an actual problem for you? Not if you use a case (or “bumpers”). Probably not even if you hold it naked (the phone, I mean, not you).

But in the meantime, if you’re concerned, try it out in the store, or whenever you first get your phone. You’ll know right away if you’re among the unlucky, sweaty left-handers.

In the meantime, the iPhone 4 rollout just got a little bumpier. Should be an interesting ride.

Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company

Exclamation Mods: Thread Merge?

MODS:

There are three iPhone threads that might be better off merged into one.

Until I bumped this one up today it hadn't been added to in nearly 2.5 years; the other two have sat without added posts for nearly 3 years.

OR, Another Option ...

Merge them all with the "Apple Overtakes Microsoft" thread, where there's been lots of recent idle iPhone chat.

Lets just leave the other two to die and leave this as the current thread now that you have bumped it. I would not suggest merging with apple overtakes microsoft as that thread is a more general discussion about apple and microsoft in general. It is better to have two separate discussions.

The droid seems to be in the midst of a pervasive ad campaign. Will it be a formidable rival to the iphone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast